Making a weighted blanket

Old September 21st 10, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Making a weighted blanket

I have contemplated weighted blankets for a while.
They are usually highly recommended for developmentally disabled children
and adults, or people of any age that engage in what appear to be
restless repetitive behaviors. Look up pressure therapy for more info.

We have been getting by with weighted balls, and manually squishing Ash
with a pillow. He loves it, and it really does calm him. Then on a trip
to the dentist recently he got a bit over the top. He is a self biter
and has pica, so it is easy to see how a trip to the dentist would
overstimulate him. In the course of this frustrating visit, and not
knowing what else to do, I asked the dentist's aide to fetch an adult
size x-ray apron. We laid it over him in the chair and I said
"Squish!". Ash repeated "Squish!", and giggled a bit. It calmed him
down instantly. kiri decided we need to get us one of those aprons, and
I chimed in with "without the lead!".

For us a boughten weighted blanket is prohibitively expensive. They can
easily run over a hundred dollars for a smaller than twin size.
I figured out how to make one easily enough. I have made a feather bed,
I have mass produced sachet size bags, most of what I learned doing those
things will stand me well with this project. Here is a website that does
it pretty much as I figured, notice they also discovered the joys of the
x-ray apron (G):

http://craftnectar.com/2009/09/03/ca...with-weighted-
blankets/

Now here is the tricky bit and the part I need help with. What do I fill
it with?

The blanket absolutely must be washable. That lets out things like corn
bran, buckwheat hulls, rice, or other organics. I fear that things like
fish gravel or sand would be too hard on the fabric. On other websites I
have found suggestions such as make one of plasticized canvas, fill it
with sand, and then make what amounts to a duvet cover for it. Yeah, Ash
cannot stand to leave the dust jacket on a book, I don't think a duvet
cover would last ten minutes with him.

Thus far the idea I have found most intriguing is to use multiple layers
of upholstery vinyl as you would quilt batting. My Pfaff, and maybe my
Imperial could handle the sewing of it. I would have to quilt it fairly
closely to eliminate the play of the fabric, there is no way Ash would be
able to leave slidey fabric alone. I do not know how I could calculate
the weight of the finished project with any accuracy though. Perfect
would be in the realm of ten pounds or so. Yep our lad is _eleven_ now!
and weighs near enough to a hundred pounds. One tenth body weight is the
recommended for such things. Another thing that concerns me about this
method is that while the vinyl would be washable, would it be practical
to do so? Is it going to be flexible and durable enough to go through
the washing machine? would I have to take it to a laundramat and put it
through one of the big machines? would the only truly sensible thing be
to take it to the cleaners? You really do not want anything that sees
common use with an 11 year old boy to be dry clean only! You really
really want kid stuff to be something you can chuck into the washer at
the drop of a hat.

Give me some ideas people!

BTW we just had Ash's fall IEP meeting. He is doing stunningly well.
His vocabulary has literally increased by 1000%, he interacts with his
classmates even to calling them by name. His demonstrated reading
vocabulary and associating what he reads with things and concepts has
really taken off, to the point that when it is something he cannot say
clearly he sometimes is able to write it down and show it to you. He is
willingly participating in classroom activities. He has not attempted a
jailbreak even once. He is way ahead of his class in pool, and enjoys
swimming (yes actually swimming!) laps. The pool instructor says he is
one of those kids that is part fish (G) They still have not been able to
hire a permanent speech therapist, so the local district has to send one
over. The district is not begrudging this as Ash is doing so very well,
and I assume Ash doing well is going to look good on their state
reports. The district rep even openly admitted that sending Ash to BOCES
was indeed the best decision. Considering had he stayed in district that
they were planning on building a time out room in the classroom he would
have gone to just for him, I could not agree more! BTW that just
horrified his current teacher. She cannot imagine Ash being a problem in
the classroom. He is very well liked by both his classmates and his
teachers. braggingOne of the recent class assignments for those who
were able, was to write a couple of paragraphs about someone that you
admire. One of the other boys chose Ash.bragging

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 21st 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Glad Ash is doing so well! Thanks very much to your consistent and
continuous hard work.

Why does it have to be *machine* washable? Wouldn't it work OK if it
were vinyl, and you just sponged it off? After all, the dentist aprons
don't go in the laundry. Then you could probably fill it with sand.
Good luck!
Roberta in D

Old September 21st 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I don't have any suggestions, but think that multiple layers of vinyl would
wash okay but the drying may well be a problem. The water inside the
layers of vinyl would not dry out readily and the quilting would make it
even more likely to stay wet inside there. That doesn't sound good.... but
maybe you have considered that.

Otherwise I really have no suggestions, but think Roberta is on the right
track with something you can sponge off rather than wash by submersion in
water.

Good luck with this project (thinking of Temple Grandin and her squish
machine) and a big WOOHOOOOOOO for Ash's wonderful and encouraging progress!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 21st 10, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_4_]

What about the plastic beads used in toy making - I used them to weight the
feet and hands only of a cute teddy bear with long arms and legs.

--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Old September 21st 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

That's a glowing report for Ash, and you are rightfully proud/happy!
It does indeed take a village to bring up a child, and your
persistence in his best interest is paying off.

Regarding the weighted quilt - have you thought about doing something
with "channels" in it, that you could insert tubes of filler. My mind
is thinking about the door draft stopper snakes type design that would
slide into channels, and could be removed so the quilt can be washed.
You could vary the weights based on type of material used in the
tubes.

I met Temple Grandin back in 1999, and have an autographed copy of her
book "Thinking in Pictures". She is an amazing woman, and we had quite
an enlightening conversation.

Ginger in CA

Old September 21st 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I was so surprised the first time a dollmaker placed one of her baby dolls
in my arms. It felt so real. The difference? She put about 5 lbs of the
weighted poly pellets inside those exquisite and very expensive little
creations.
NM, I have carefully considered other weights and believe the poly
pellets is going to be your best bet - during construction, use and
maintenance. You would need about 8 lbs. JoAnn's has them for $ 7.99 for 2
pounds and you could unearth some 40% off coupons.
Also - canvas is durable and Heavy. Trust me. We made a canvas cover
for a camping trailer long ago and that stuff would surely give you the
'other' 2 lbs. Your Pfaff won't mind stitching canvas one bit. You'll need
the right needles and a strong fellow to help you guide the channels.
Didn't mean to write a book here - but also consider the strongest
thread your Pfaff can manage. This is no time for sissy thread.
It warms my heart to read of Ash's many successes. NM, I am just so
proud for all of you. Polly

"DiMa" ...

Old September 21st 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

If you could get hold of some "mill felt" that makes for a very heavy
blanket. My mom had several from her dad who was manager of a paper
mill. The felts are used on the rollers to help dry the paper. When
they were no longer good for that they were cut up, dyed and sold to
employees as heavy-duty and HEAVY blankets. I remember the weight of
lying under just one layer... two or three layers would definitely give
you the weight you want.

I did a quick google search - there are various supplies. If you could
find one near you perhaps they would have an 'end-of-roll- or the like
that they could sell you.

Good luck!
Allison

Old September 21st 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

My very first sewing project resulted in an extremely heavy blanket.
Heavy enough that my lightweight kindergarden self could not turn over
under that blanket.

My mother gave me a cut up upholstery sample book to sew together. I
sewed those stiff, heavy squares into a quilt top (though we didn't know
the word "quilt" at the time)

My mom used flannel on the back and TWO layers of thick poly batting in
the center.

My sisters tied it and had to use pliers to pull the needle through
because it was so thick.

Maybe upholstery fabric on both sides for your little guy?

marcella

Old September 21st 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Happy that Ash is making so many improvements. That is a sure sign of all
the time you and family spend with him!
Barbara in SC

Old September 21st 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I just returned from Project Linus conference where weighted blankets were
discussed. We were told to make them with channels as someone else has
mentioned. Then put tightly rolled up sheets in the channels. The sheets
can be removed for laundering.

Donna in Idaho

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

signature database 5467 (20100921) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5467 (20100921) __________

http://www.eset.com

Steels Mast Making & Sail Making sailmaking 1932 Alys General Crafting 0 June 7th 08 08:38 PM
Steels Mast Making & Sail Making sailmaking 1932 Alys Marketplace 0 June 7th 08 08:38 PM
Weighted blankets Jen in FL Quilting 7 July 25th 07 05:24 PM
antique milk box- weighted sterling chandalier candle holders-Ebay- DesertBob Jr. Marketplace 0 September 10th 05 01:32 AM
Picture of a blanket NoraBalcer Yarn 0 November 19th 03 04:39 PM