Not telling

Old March 7th 13, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ramona Walker

Default Not telling

I made my granddaughter a black and white high contrast quilt this
year. She has vision issues resulting from a seizure when she was 5
months old and her therapist suggested lost of high contrast. It was
such a hit with her day care lady that I made her an adult size one
for Christmas.

Another option would be a "hide and seek" quilt or "I spy" with lots
of colorful, random pictures. This would entertain a child up into
their toddler years as they try to find the animals, characters, etc.
on all the blocks. I'm a scrapper so I keep a bin full of this kind
of thing. I recently made my grandson a strip quilt with all sports
themes.

I made my niece and nephew a quilt they both loved with castles and
dragons and teddy bears. I made up stories about what they were doing
and both of the kids, now teenagers, remember it fondly. Moni

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:42:00 -0600, Julia in MN
wrote:

Babies supposedly like things with high contrast because their vision is
not well developed, so black & white with touches of red & yellow. I did
this one with Jack-in-the-box blocks for a great-nephew; in this case, I
did know it was to be a boy named Jack, but it would work for a girl,
too. http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/JackInTheBox.JPG

Neither one of my children knew the gender of any of their children, so
their nurseries were done with what I called "bright pastels" -- not the
bright primary colors but not pastels either. Or use one of the Eric
Carle fabrics, such as the Hungry Caterpillar or Brown Bear fabrics.
Here's my "Hungry Caterpillar" top.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/HungryCaterpillar.JPG

Julia in MN

On 3/5/2013 11:36 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
We have such a wonderful summer planned. My FL sister is expecting a
great-granddaughter who shall be named Lucy due May 13th. My MS sister
is expecting a grand July 7 and our great grandson is to arrive July
15. Lotsa baby sugar incoming. Doing a Lucy quilt is big fun - there's
'I Love Lucy' and Charlie Brown's Lucy. A quilt for our own
great-grandson opens up lots of choices but I'm thinking wheels.
Where I'm stalled is the baby whose parents are being dramatic and
keeping the sex of their baby secret until birth. Whatever.
Since pastels are SO old-fashioned and girls can love chain-saws if
they want to, I'm blank. What quilt do I do for the 'to be announced'
baby? Poll

Old March 7th 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

How precious! How ever did I miss this one? Polly
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
Have a look for The Grouchy Ladybug, another of the very delightful
Eric Carle books. Plenty of ladybug fabric available, pleanty of good
bright colors.
Roberta in D

Old March 9th 13, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I have a great niece due this summer, so I made a fairly traditional baby top, but I wasn't sure what I wanted on the back. Both parents are union plumbers so I thought it might be cute to have some reference to plumbing. I had serious doubts about being able to find something like that. I actually found cotton material with all kinds of vintage plumbing tools all over it on eBay. I was so excited. I'm making it 60"x60" so they can drape it over a chair or couch with the tool side up when not using it for the baby. I made the top unisex because I wasn't sure I'd find out the sex before the birth.

I finally have my very own grandson and I haven't even made him a quilt yet.. I collect sockmonkeys but my son and daughter in law hate sockmonkeys. They are Irish, so I guess I could go Celtic. What I really need is sockmonkeys dressed like leprechauns material.
Old March 10th 13, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

I Spy--with the ABC's in the middle (Airplane/apple, Bike/banana, cat/car
etc) and all different squares around..am even haveing kidlets doing
assorting things in the last one I'm in the process of. Need any
squares--just holler as I even have: v (vests), x (cats having xrays that
another RCTQ'er shared with me--have enuf to share with you), y (yarn), and
z (zebra) for the letters that are harder to find. Am working on # 7 and # 8
right now.

Butterfly (whose company finally found their way home--took the christmas
wreath OFF the front door today Now to box up the tree. )