laundromat irritation

Old October 15th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default laundromat irritation

I recently purchased several very long lengths of lovely fabric for
quilting, and took it to the laundromat today to pre-wash in the giant
machines. Fine and dandy. When it was in the dryers, two mothers of
pre-school children came in with their kids, and put them ON the
oversize table to run and play! Neither they nor the children seemed
to see any reason to make space for people needing to fold their
clothing, and I had 18' lengths to fold! So, I spoke to the
attendant, who told the women to get the children off the tables and
to keep them off so customers could use them to fold their clothing.
And the attendant had to wash down the table top, of course. Boy,
were those women angry! A large table may seem like a good place to
keep little ones in one place and away from the door, but if one of
those children fell off the edge, I can only imagine the law suit the
parents would file. (Too many people seem to think that every idiotic
action they take and every accident is the golden opportunity to hit
the jackpot.) I seldom go to the laundromat since I have a washer and
dryer at home, but do take quilting fabric, quilts, and comforters
there for the large machines, and always make it a point to do that on
a weekday and during nap time -- didn't work today, though!
Old October 15th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I'm glad the attendant asked the mom's to remove the kids from the tables.
And I thought it was ME who always seemed to be around the moms who don't
look after the smaller children! Glad you were able to get your fabric
folded.
Barbara in FL

Old October 15th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good, good for you, Mary. I'm so glad you spoke to the attendant. You
probably saved one of those little ones a terrible accident. Run and play
on a table? Mercy! Polly

"Bobbie Sews More" I'm glad the attendant asked the mom's to remove the
kids from the tables.
And I thought it was ME who always seemed to be around the moms who don't
look after the smaller children! Glad you were able to get your fabric
folded.
Barbara in FL

"Mary" I recently purchased several very long lengths of lovely fabric

Old October 15th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 15, 2:35*pm, Mary wrote:
[...]

Just have to chime in here...not a laundramat issue but similar with
respect to people minding their children. Years ago DH & I stopped at
a park to watch fireworks for 4th of July. It was still early and
there was a playground for the little ones along with lawn space. We
parked ourselves and were just enjoying the evening waiting for
fireworks. While watching some of the adults there with their
children I made the comment to DH that I thought we were more
attentive to mindful of our dogs than most of those people seemed to
be about their children! Granted, we don't have children of our own
but have plenty of nieces & nephews and friends children that we spend
LOTS of time with. I would no more allow a child to run on a table
than fly. Maybe because I don't have my own kids I'm more
overprotective of the ones I am around. Let alone allowing them to
disturb others for no valid reason. And heaven forbid we might have
some personal responsibility for our own stupidity! Good on you for
speaking up and for the attendant for having them cease and desist.

Kim in windy NJ
Old October 15th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 15/10/2010 19:35, Mary wrote:
[...]

Many years ago, when my Lily was new, I used to cart her back and
forward to a sewing glass every week. I put her down in the lobby of
the adult studies center, close to a table, while I went and picked
something up from the reception desk... When I turned round again, one
of the kids awaiting their 'ballet' class was CLIMBING UP ON THE TABLE
VIA MY SEWING MACHINE!

I used my best Reach The Other Side Of The Playground Teacher's Volume
voice to bark 'GET DOWN!' at the child. She did, but her mother
protested. Fine! I said. I'll collect your name and address from
reception, and if I get home and find the machine is broken, you will be
getting a bill for eleven hundred pounds for a replacement! And I will
expect compensation for business lost while I await the replacement machine.

I turned back to the reception desk. The center manager was behind it.
Nice one! She said, I'll back you all the way!

When I turned back, none of the kids wee anywhere close to that table or
my machine. And any time I appeared with it after that, I'd hear a
voice telling the kids "Don't go near the lady's sewing machine, dear:
you don't want to break it!"

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 16th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Mary, good for you! I am not perfect. I made mistakes when my boys
were young. But so many parents, then and now, just left me gaping at
their stupidity. I sometimes wonder how the species ever survived. And
besides the inexplicable lack of care, I can't tell you how many times
I've watched parents slapping, pinching, shaking, jerking off the
ground, name-calling and generally turning their children into future
juvenile delinquents.

Sorry for the rant. I just got back from shopping and once again
watched a mother make a difference between two daughters, one of whom
was allowed to buy a thing because she was 'pretty' and the other
denied because 'you wouldn't know what to do with it' and I almost
went ballistic.

Sunny
Old October 16th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ramona Walker

This reminded me of our trip out west. We were coming down from Pikes
Peak when we just about stopped the car to slap a couple of parents.
They were sitting on a "wall" about 2 foot high. It was at the very
edge of the mountain with a straight drop down. They were seated
about 8 feet apart allowing their toddler to walk between them!! The
child was still at the stage of being barely able to stay upright on a
flat surface and here they were allowing him to walk on an uneven
stone wall over a straight drop. Shouldn't there be a license to
parent!!!

I managed to raise our 2 girls without major injuries cause by my own
stupidity. Now I'm biting my nails everytime I see the grandkids do
something I think is dangerous. I want them all to be brave and
fearless up to the point where it gets Grandma to break out in a
sweat!!! Moni
Old October 16th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Good for you Mary.

I am fed up to here (imaginary line about two feet above my head) with
parents not taking any part in the education/upbringing of their
children, whether it's keeping them from physical harm or teaching
them the difference between right and wrong. Of course, I understand
the parents, having three daughters of my own at the critical ages of
16,15 and 12. I mean really, it is just so much easier to give them
things (generally everything they ask for), let them stay out till all
hours of the night, not make a big stink if they come home drunk, etc.
etc. Afterall, as a parent I have a life too so why should I be
miserable for telling my kid she can't have something or do something
she wants to do???

WRONG!!!!!!!!

When I made the choice to become a parent (yes, it was my choice and I
would do it all over again if I had to), I knew that I was taking on
the responsibility of creating a future human being.
And no, I'm not perfect; I'm sure I made many mistakes along the way
and will continue making them, but I can honestly say that my
threesome will NOT climb on things that sholdn't be climbed on, they
don't cuss, they don't drink, and they don't stay out until dawn. I
can take them to a restaurant and they will sit quietly at the table,
and will not get up and run around, they get excellent grades at
school, and they are a pleasure to be around ( yes, a "little" bit of
proud mama is showing here!) etc, etc, etc. But this did not comeby
itself. It means spending time with them, and teaching them, and being
with them, and going over the same thing time and time again. And not
stopping the being there just beccause they are older now. Yes,
accidents happen and no you can't be there every second, but this
general tendencyof not being there at all, of general I don't care
attitude gets me every time.

Sorry about the ramble.

I wish more "normal" parents would get involved and actually do
something about the kids running amok, rather than just frown at them.

Good for you MAry

Claudia
Old October 16th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:35:47 -0500, Mary wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Seems endemic these days. Everywhere I go I see people who just don't either
watch their own children or let them do stupid things and then blame others
when said children get hurt.

I'm getting far to grumpy in my middle age.

Maureen