Quilt Labels

Old October 25th 05, 11:46 PM
KittyG

Default Quilt Labels

Labels sort of defeated me also, Jan, and I'm not sure why, but I came up
with an easy fix.

I usually birth my quilts, and I stitch or monogram the date, names, etc-
whatever would go on the label, on the border along the edge where I have an
opening after the turning, or birthing, before I close it up. That way the
back of the stitches for all this lies on the underside of the batting, not
the backing, so it looks a lot neater.

--
kitty in phx

http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Those of you who do quilt labels.... do you put it on after the quilting?
If so is it just whip stitched on?? Or do you sew it on to the backing
before quilting????? Sad to say.... but in 12+ years of quilting... I have
never labeled a quilt....

Jan

Old October 27th 05, 05:10 AM
Kerensa

What exactly is birthing a quilt?
--
Hugs,
Kerensa

My Quilting Photos
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/a_web_junkie/my_photos

Old October 27th 05, 06:00 AM
Mystified One

Instead of layering, quilting and then binding it, you lay your top and back
right sides together and add the batting. Use your walking foot if you have
one and sew 1/2 an inch all the way around the outside, leaving enough of an
opening to turn right side out.

Once you turn, slip stitch your opening closed. You can then stitch 1/2 an
inch to one inch around the entire border. Quilt and/or tie and you're
done.

Some people hate bindings, and others use this for charity quilts. Works
pretty well, but binding will last longer.

"Kerensa" wrote in message
k.net...
: What exactly is birthing a quilt?
: --
:

Old October 27th 05, 02:33 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

I place top and backing with right sides together, and sew around each
side (leaving about 18" unsewn at the bottom), smooth out the batting
onto the table, lay the quilt top/backing on top of the batting with the
backing next to the batting, baste it together within the seam
allowance (but I do baste the backing to the batting), turn it inside
out, close the bottom opening with a hand stitch, then run a row of
stitching about a half-inch from the edge of the quilt. Sometimes I run
another row of stitching another half inch from the first.

I use painter's tape to guide me if I'm making straight lines to keep
the top/backing/batting in place, or I tie the quilt. The last one had
symbols on the fabric and I hand quilted around enough of those to keep
the batting in place. I made one that I machine sewed together before I
turned it and got batting fuzz all over my machine so now I baste, turn,
then machine sew.

By the way, I love your tag line.