"Entrepeneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing"

Old January 22nd 04, 07:08 PM
Penny S

Ed wrote:
On 21 Jan 2004 13:01:14 GMT, Kitty Fluff wrote:

Thanks Penny...I'm trying to track this book down on eBay and not
having very good luck finding it!!! Will keep on trudging! lol

"Entrepeneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing"

ISBN: 0966320840
Format: Paperback, 239pp
Pub. Date: January 1998

give addal.com a try (a book search engine)

http://www3.addall.com/New/submitNew...v&dispCurr=USD

if you find a sourtce you like ... make sure to redo the search with
your state for shipping costs

This book is self published, and with the exception of what's on Amazon
right now, Southstar Supply is the only other place to get it. I could be
wrong.

Penny S

Old January 22nd 04, 10:07 PM

"Entrepreneurs Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing"

Becky, Penny is giving you totally excellent advice. This may not be
what you want to hear, but I found that if you spend some money up
front, to educate yourself, you save a lot of grief, time _and_ money in
the long run.
I have been sewing professionally for years, and recently paid
$180.00 for a small, _very_ small--packet of marketing/pricing info,
geared for another segment of the sewing industry.
My heart did flip-flops when the wee package arrived, but, due to the
excellent advice it contained, I doubled my price list, and have a much
better idea of how to contact and deal with potential clients, as well
as how to reconfigure my workroom. In addition, it is giving me access
to other pros in the industry. Believe me, this relatively small
expenditure has saved loads of time and trouble.
Note--if you plan to develop and market a line of clothing, best get
prepared to spend a LOT more money--likely you'll need to either take
out a loan on your house, or a bank loan. It's not a cheap process.
Cea
---
(Penny=A0S)
Kitty Fluff wrote:
Thanks again Penny! Checked out Southstarsupply! Whoa....this is
what I found on the home page:
Visitors please note: Orders less than $25.00 are subject to a $10.00
handling fee. Orders between $25.00 and $50.00 are subject to a $5.00
handling fee.
Now that's awful high in my opinion. They do have LOTS of interesting
items. Sigh.
BeckyInSeattl
---
Here's my opinion. That book is probably the BEST book out there if
you are planning on designing a line of clothes or products and hoping
to sell them in a manner that will be profitable and successful. It will
save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in stupid mistakes that
are very common to home and non-sewers wanting to break out into
retail/wholesale/ marketing. If you are even remotely serious about
going into a sewing business, you need to invest in this.
Southstar caters to sewing professionals. Most businesses that cater to
pros have a minimum. Hint. order two packs of the 10 packs of rotary
cutter blades @ 17$ ea. and you've met the minimum, not so hard to do,
and it beats waiting for a Jo-anns coupon for 50% off one pack of two.
What's your potential success worth to you? If nothing else, request
that your library get it, mine did.
Amazon has 13 copies left, no handling change, type in the author's name
"Fasanella" and it will bring it right up. You get reviews, too.
Re-read this whole thread, it has the table of contents from the book
listed. Of course, you can do whatever you want.
You mentioned originally that you want to design a line of children's
clothes... what do you know, really? Do you know how to determine your
market? Draft an professional pattern that other sewers, when you hire
them, will be able to follow? Do you know what makes a garment look
homemade to a re-seller? Do you know how to calculate how much yardage
you'll need, and how to sew efficiently? Can you break down your costs?
Do you understand how and where copyright law applies to patterns and
designs?
I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic here. One thing this book
taught me was how much I didn't know, and I adjusted my business
accordingly.
Penny S
--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing Factory Authorized by

Old January 23rd 04, 01:58 PM
Ward

Well now there are only 12 left. I just ordered a copy for myself. Sad
part is I bought this book when it first came out. I loaned it to a "friend
/ co-worker" who never gave it back, then left the company. I'll keep this
copy safe.

Liz