Newbies

Old July 25th 03, 04:27 PM
Thomas Mitchell

Default Newbies

Hello all,

My wife and I are new to the dollhouse craft. She's been into crafts for
a while but hasn't found one that she's settled on. I suggested she try
making a dollhouse since she is a perfectionist type and will spend a
lot of time on the details.

We ordered a kit to start with, ie, the shell. Which will arrive in a
few days and are looking around the web for places to get material to
finish it. We're looking for fake brick, etc. I have almost a full
fledged wood working shop in half of the garage so I'll be able to make
the siding, shingles, hard wood flooring, anything that deals with wood.

Anyone have recommendations for places on the web to get material for
finishing the house?

Any suggestions on how to get started? She's doing lots of searches on
Google for info, but I've always found that newsgroups have lots of
expert advice.

Thanks
Thomas and Tracie

Old July 25th 03, 11:23 PM
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:27:14 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
wrote:

[...]

If we knew where you are located, I am certain that one of your
neighbours would tell you about their favourite shop; for instance, my
favourite is Ron's in Orlando, even though I live 1300 miles away!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old July 26th 03, 10:35 AM
havana bill & holly

The url for HBS is www.miniatures.com. Then there's www.micromark.com. You
can also check out the Small Stuff Digest archives
(www.smallstuff-digest.com), I believe someone on there made wooden bricks
and I seem to recall someone making sheets of bricks with paperclay. Happy
hunting 8~ )

Old July 26th 03, 11:09 AM
Richard

Hi,

We produce a product called Realistic Brick Compound. This is a very
economical way to produce a brick finish and is quick and easy to apply.
When finished it looks and feels like real bricks.

Please see our website for details: www.craft-products.com

We are based in the UK, but do ship worldwide - please enquire for shipping
costs.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Richard J. Bromley.

Old July 27th 03, 10:19 AM
havana bill & holly

Richard, Your stone finishes, paving & roofing materials are awesome!
Gotta find room for another dh. Will you eventually provide for smaller
scales?

Old July 28th 03, 08:37 PM
Thomas Mitchell

Ah.. nice site. I sent it to my wife. Some good tips as well. Hope to be
able to send some tips of our own for you to add eventually.

Dawn wrote:
Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Anyone have recommendations for places on the web to get material for
finishing the house?

Any suggestions on how to get started? She's doing lots of searches on
Google for info, but I've always found that newsgroups have lots of
expert advice.

Howdy,

I maintain a website with info for the group, including an online
listing, a mail-order listing, and a nationwide shop listing. You can
find this at:

www.redsword.com/dollhouse

It's due for updating, so if you find out-of-date links just drop me an
email from the web site and let me know what needs to be changed.

Dawn

Old July 29th 03, 09:37 PM

When Lego first came out in Denmark in the 50's or so, they were real brick
and they were plendid. You could make a real house with them but they were
not really for small children so they started making them in plastic and the
rest is history. They were called 'Bykkefiks" which means fancy build.
trille

Old July 31st 03, 05:19 PM

They look really gorgeous. I might sell my aquarium and do another house
instead with the stone and bigger with lots of room for stairs. I am pretty
much finished with the house I have except for upkeep and some painting and
repair of wallpaper and then, the garden area. When my house that burned
down, (thank God sparing the dollhouse) when it is fixed, I will have made
two bedrooms made into one for more room for a sitting area where I can have
my model minuature stuff including the dollhouse. I think I saved myself
from a total nervous breakdown by having my dollhouse that I could work on
in these months while waiting for the real house to be rebuild. trille
"Richard" wrote in message
We currently supply 1:12 scale brick and stone, and 1:24 scale brick. We
may produce others in the future subject to demand.

What scale were you looking for?

Richard.