The Fabric Debate

Old October 17th 03, 02:11 AM
Sharon Harper

BTW - I didn't take Leslie's comments as being condescending - she's not
that type of gal. Just me and one of those mornings!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I dont think you can be helped if you can equate buying food with good
material. Sheesh.. have you no prioritys woman?
LOL
Diana... ribbit, ribbit

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Sharon Harper" snippity snippity snip

To me one metre of that fabric equals
food for a couple of days, or a pair of shoes for the kids, school

supplies.
Maybe it's a psychological thing - I just CAN'T pay it! Help me!!!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
Member of the Houston 2004 Party Animals
"Marijke" wrote in message

"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
.... I
buy LQS nearly exclusively and feel very badly for those who can't
afford to know the true joy of working with a quality product for
quality results. And I cannot afford LQS fabric on *my* income,

either,
but I manage by cutting corners in other areas. It's worth it to
me.....

Oh, don't feel badly for me (and I suspect many others). That's

exactly
the
condescending attitude that turns many people off of quilting. Who are

you
to feel badly if anyone chooses not to use LQS fabric? And by

insinuating
that it's a mere matter of cutting corners is even more insulting.

People
may be very well able to afford the fabric but make the conscious

decision
that they will not, for whatever reason they choose. And they need

no-one
feel badly for them.

I feel badly that people feel that there is only one way to do things

and
feel the that they need to feel badly for those who feel that there

are
other ways.

Marijke

Old October 18th 03, 02:27 AM
frood

But, if I make my sweetie a quilt with fabric, he's likely to retaliate with
chocolate - best of both worlds!

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
LOL! What would you rather - a metrer of good material.....or the best
chocolate money could buy? Interesting choice!

Old October 18th 03, 03:03 AM
Pat in Virginia

Diana Curtis wrote:....cut...
I cannot picture Leslie saying anything to anyone in a condescending way.
She epitomizes the generous nature of most quilters everywhere.
Diana

Well said Diana, you took the words right off my key board! Hod
do you do that?
PAT, with nothing to contribute to the fabric discussions, but
sticking up for charming Leslie, in Virginia
Old October 19th 03, 05:36 PM
Dr. Quilter

that is why I cannot get myself to buy online. I have to touch!

Taria wrote:

Interesting. I think the most important part of buying fabric
is to take time to learn what the feel of good stuff is. Every
time I see articles or discussions like this one I wonder how
did all those feed sack quilts last so very long? They are all
the things the shouldn't be but still can be wonderful. I tend
to buy fabric a lot of different places. Most of the time I
do ok. I still say no matter what you buy if it goes in a sunny
spot it is over, no matter how great the quality.
Taria

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

I know we've debated chain store v. quilt shop fabric to death. :-)
But, I came across an interesting article on the subject in an exerpt
posted on Jane Sassaman's website (worth a visit all in itself)

It certainly won't end the debate but it was interesting reading.

http://www.janesassaman.com/special-...mony/colorharm
onyexcerpt.html

what do you think?
marcella

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 19th 03, 05:41 PM
Dr. Quilter

I do buy fabric in my LQS. I didn't when I started quilting, since I was
in State College, nothing close by. I have fabrics bought back then that
I would not use in a quilt now. They are loosely woven, transparent, or
really stiff even after washing. Given the fact that I don't make that
many large quilts, I can afford the good fabric, though maybe I should
be trying to save for my old age... but it makes me happy and that
doesn't always happen with stuff bought at Wall Mart of JoAnns...

Kathy in CA wrote:

Interesting article. However I do not expect my quilts to last 100 years. I
want them to be used now, not saved forever. I can sew more and buy more for
my stash if I can buy the cheaper fabric--$2 to $4 range. Expensive fabric
in my book is reserved for special projects like a wedding dress.

Old October 19th 03, 05:46 PM
Dr. Quilter

Who is putting down others? I think the subject is interesting and
nobody needs to feel offended. The point is what your individual choice
is, for whatever reasons, including economic, and how important it is
for you that your quilts look this way or that other way.... nothing
personal!

Marijke wrote:

There's a huge difference between people who put down others for buying less
than LQS quality and using fabric that isn't really appropriate for
quilting - such as sheer curtains. Honestly, I can't see how you can even
compare the two and it doesn't change how I feel by one iota.

Old October 19th 03, 09:25 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Me too, unless I've already fondled the fabric somewhere else. I
thought the article gave some good tips on things to look for in fabrics
no matter where you choose to buy them. I didn't think it said anyone
_had_ to stick to just one kind of shop. didn't think my posting would
start that kind of discussion. ah well...

marcella

Old October 25th 03, 02:50 AM
Pati Cook

And I have seen some cheap fabric that cost a bundle......at a quilt shop. So
it comes down to getting the best fabric you can, at a price you can/will
pay.
However, I do agree that working with cotton is much easier than poly blends, at
least for quilting.

Pati, in Phx

Old October 25th 03, 02:52 AM
Pati Cook

Yes. The greige goods/base fabric can be different. Even with the same info
printed on the selvedge of the fabric. Usually several levels of test runs are
made when printing fabric.

Pati, in Phx

Laura Bartl wrote:

I have a question relating to this - do/can manufacturer's print the same
print to different qualities of base fabrics and sell them under the same
names, for more or less, depending upon the outlet? Like I would put
Laura's Daisy Print on high quality fabric to sell at an LQS and Laura's
Daisy Print on lower quality fabric to sell at Wal-Mart?

this is something I heard once that I found hard to believe, but what do I
know?

Watching the Cubs, trying not to puke. Ugh. (((

TIA!
--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

Old October 25th 03, 05:18 PM
Dr. Quilter

that's why I need to touch Pati... that way it doesn't matter if it is
'supposed to be good' because it is at the LQS, you have the final check
at the tip of your fingers.. )

FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM
Wonky Fabric Rant Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 15 August 8th 03 12:50 PM
72 Excuses for Adding to Your Stash Debbi Quilting 16 July 29th 03 12:18 PM