The Fabric Debate

Old October 16th 03, 02:41 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

There's a huge difference between people who put down others for
buying less than LQS quality and using fabric that isn't really
appropriate for quilting - such as sheer curtains. Honestly, I can't see
how you can even compare the two and it doesn't change how I feel by one
iota.
Marijke

The point is that some folks feel they cannot even afford the cheap
"junk" fabric at WalMart and are trying to make do with the very least
they can. Why argue LQS vs. WalMart/Joann's/ etc. when some are
struggling with *this*??? And it doesn't change how I feel either.... I
buy LQS nearly exclusively and feel very badly for those who can't
afford to know the true joy of working with a quality product for
quality results. And I cannot afford LQS fabric on *my* income, either,
but I manage by cutting corners in other areas. It's worth it to
me.....

Leslie who argues on BOTH sides of the discussion

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old October 16th 03, 07:20 PM
Marijke

"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
.... I
buy LQS nearly exclusively and feel very badly for those who can't
afford to know the true joy of working with a quality product for
quality results. And I cannot afford LQS fabric on *my* income, either,
but I manage by cutting corners in other areas. It's worth it to
me.....

Oh, don't feel badly for me (and I suspect many others). That's exactly the
condescending attitude that turns many people off of quilting. Who are you
to feel badly if anyone chooses not to use LQS fabric? And by insinuating
that it's a mere matter of cutting corners is even more insulting. People
may be very well able to afford the fabric but make the conscious decision
that they will not, for whatever reason they choose. And they need no-one to
feel badly for them.

I feel badly that people feel that there is only one way to do things and
feel the that they need to feel badly for those who feel that there are
other ways.

Marijke

Old October 16th 03, 08:21 PM
Lynne Van

I guess we must all be having a bad day on the newsgroup.
Marijke...how about this: use whatever fabric you like, we'll
all use whatever fabric we like, and you'll try not to get so
easily offended with the rest of us that we have to tread on egg
shells to keep from making you angry and using words like
"condescending".

Sheesh!

Lynne in Toronto

Old October 16th 03, 09:32 PM
Marijke

You don't find someone tell you that she feels bad for you that you don't do
the same as her as condescending? Sorry, but I do.

And, no, I'm not having a bad day at all. I just don't want someone feeling
badly for me when there's no need for it.

Marijke

Old October 16th 03, 09:39 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Who are you to feel badly if anyone chooses not to use LQS fabric?

You are not listening to me. I said I feel badly for those who cannot
"afford" to buy at their LQS. These are the people who would "like" to
use LQS fabrics and cannot "afford" them. I do not refer to you who
"chooses" not to use/buy LQS for whatever reasons you may have. And I
cut corners on food and heat and air conditioning and other necessities
to have my LQS fabrics, so please don't criticize "my" choices, either.
My soul craves some hyacinths in my life and my fabrics fulfill that
need.... ***MY*** need!

Leslie Done with this ridiculous discussion!!! Sheesh!!!

Old October 16th 03, 09:50 PM
Diana Curtis

Gosh, and I just got the attitude that Leslie wishes we all could have
wonderful material to work with no matter what our situations. I thought it
was a generous loving thought.
Its not a wish born of pity, or condescension, just a person wanting to
share the joy they have found in using the finest ingredients in their
quilts. She feels its worth making sacrifices in other areas of her life.
Sometimes I do too. Sometimes I dont.
I am fortunate enough that there are some very generous and loving souls
on this newsgroup who value me as a person and quilter to give me (sometimes
anonymously) the good stuff and I have to say, if I had my druthers I would
always use the higher quality cloth, no matter where it comes from (LQS or
Wallyworld), but for now its a treat.
I cannot picture Leslie saying anything to anyone in a condescending way.
She epitomizes the generous nature of most quilters everywhere.
Diana
--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 16th 03, 11:00 PM
Sharon Harper

I love making quilts. I'm happy making my quilts. My quilts do not win
prizes. My quilts are not perfect. My quilts are made (majority) with
Spotlight (Joanns) fabrics which at most are $11/metre (maybe around $US5.00
a yard?). They prolly will not last 100 years. In 100 years who's gonna
care? I've seen $25/metre fabric. I've seen $45/metre fabric. I've
admired. I've purchased some. Even if my husband earns way more than
others and we are considered "well off" I cannot justify (in my own mind)
buying fabric that is $45 a metre. To me one metre of that fabric equals
food for a couple of days, or a pair of shoes for the kids, school supplies.
Maybe it's a psychological thing - I just CAN'T pay it! Help me!!!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old October 16th 03, 11:33 PM
Diana Curtis

I dont think you can be helped if you can equate buying food with good
material. Sheesh.. have you no prioritys woman?
LOL
Diana... ribbit, ribbit

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Sharon Harper" snippity snippity snip

Old October 17th 03, 01:08 AM
Martha in IN

"I cannot picture Leslie saying anything to anyone in a condescending way.
She epitomizes the generous nature of most quilters everywhere."
Thanks Diana, you took the words right out of my mouth...mind....? whatever.
Martha

Old October 17th 03, 02:10 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL! What would you rather - a metrer of good material.....or the best
chocolate money could buy? Interesting choice!

FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM
Wonky Fabric Rant Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 15 August 8th 03 12:50 PM
72 Excuses for Adding to Your Stash Debbi Quilting 16 July 29th 03 12:18 PM