The Fabric Debate

Old October 16th 03, 12:33 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

We know the debate will never stop, but not to be rude, why bring it back up
& and get everyone upset over the subject

Old October 16th 03, 12:48 AM
Lisa Ellis

Taria wrote:

Interesting. I think the most important part of buying fabric
is to take time to learn what the feel of good stuff is. Every
time I see articles or discussions like this one I wonder how
did all those feed sack quilts last so very long? They are all
the things the shouldn't be but still can be wonderful. I tend
to buy fabric a lot of different places. Most of the time I
do ok. I still say no matter what you buy if it goes in a sunny
spot it is over, no matter how great the quality.
Taria

I've seen a lot of worn out and used up quilts form the 1930's. I'd
guess the older quilts you've seen that were in good condition were
gently used and cared for.

I agree with you about sun. I have a wall that would be perfect for
hanging a quilt, but it gets too much sun.

lisae

Old October 16th 03, 12:55 AM
Kathy in CA

Your are right abt cheap vs inexpensive. I dont buy the really thin stuff or
fabric that feels "funny" so I try to pick quality fabric at a good price.
Also I am really new to quilting--this year in fac--and dont want to buy the
expensive LQS stuff because it's too costly if I screw up the piecing,
sashing, or backing. I have seen some really gorgeous LQS fabric but just
cant afford it in building up my stash. When I am better at it and trying to
make the PERFECT quilt I may buy some of the more expensive stuff.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

"Lisa Ellis" wrote in message
Kathy in CA wrote:

Interesting article. However I do not expect my quilts to last 100

years. I
want them to be used now, not saved forever. I can sew more and buy more

for
my stash if I can buy the cheaper fabric--$2 to $4 range. Expensive

fabric
in my book is reserved for special projects like a wedding dress.

I've made quilts with a mixture of cheap and more expensive fabric. For
the most part, the cheaper fabric has not worn as well and faded more
extensively. I don't expect my quilts to last for 100 years, but I do
expect them to last for 10 or 20 years, and I do expect them to stand up
to ordinary use. In my experience, cheap fabric isn't worth it.

I do differentiate between cheap fabric and inexpensive fabric. If I
can find good quality fabric at the flea market or garage sales I will
buy it, it it is inexpensive. If it isn't good quality, the price
doesn't matter.

lisae

Old October 16th 03, 01:07 AM
Lisa Ellis

Kathy in CA wrote:

Your are right abt cheap vs inexpensive. I dont buy the really thin stuff or
fabric that feels "funny" so I try to pick quality fabric at a good price.
Also I am really new to quilting--this year in fac--and dont want to buy the
expensive LQS stuff because it's too costly if I screw up the piecing,
sashing, or backing. I have seen some really gorgeous LQS fabric but just
cant afford it in building up my stash. When I am better at it and trying to
make the PERFECT quilt I may buy some of the more expensive stuff.

I think if my fabric budget were limited and I were new to quilting, I
wouldn't worry about building up a stash. Rather I'd buy fabric to
practice with and play with. People used to make sample blocks when
they ran accross a new pattern; you can learn a lot that way. Later on
when you have a pile of blocks, you could make a random sampler...

lisae

Old October 16th 03, 01:39 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

I'm currently teaching a "quilting class" at the Senior Center. The
women I'm teaching have very limited incomes and are bringing in
whatever fabrics they have laying around the house. Today, one gal had
an old curtain to use- semi-sheer, at that. It scootched, it ravelled,
it curled up under the coolest iron that was just barely warm enough to
coax the winkles out. It was a nightmare. The second fabric she had
was more than 50% polyester. It didn't want to let the rotary cutter
cut it, it stretched, it wouldn't allow the seam to be ironed either way
or to the center.... the seams just wanted to stand straight up. The
other lady had two polyester blends and they gave her nothing but
trouble, too. When she folded it in half to cut strips it wiggled and
moved and she couldn't keep the fold where it needed to be. The edges
curled when she finally got the strips cut- it curled even more when she
pressed it. She couldn't make it behave to match seams- they stood
straight up and stretched and scootched around when she tried to remove
the pins just before running over them. Since she was using *my* new
machine, I didn't want a stranger running over pins with it. (I know
how to run over pins without disastrous results.) Both blocks were ugly
colors that didn't match at all and had poor contrast. The blocks
looked pathetic- neither gal found any joy in battling the fabrics and
their blocks were pitiful in spite of them doing their very best. They
did NOT enjoy the class or the finished product- and *I* blame the nasty
fabrics! After 2 hours of class working with those awful fabrics, I
emphasized how much easier it would have been with quality 100% cottons
that behaved properly, pressed nicely, felt nice and looked good. But
since they have never used a decent quality cotton, they have noooooo
idea what they are missing or what I am talking about. Since I am
teaching as a volunteer, I am NOT furnishing my lovely LQS fabrics for
them to learn on. BUT.... I *am* going to start saving scraps for them
to play with.... maybe they will understand how very worthwhile decent-
cotton- fabric is!!!

Leslie I have a soapbox, too

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old October 16th 03, 02:42 AM
Julia Altshuler

Top quality LQS cotton fabrics are great. Great color, great ease of
handling, great longevity. Used curtains and worn out polyester is the
worst. Horrible to press and sew. For folks on a limited budget, it is
hard to choose between them, but isn't there a middle ground? Could
these ladies not afford Walmart 100% cotton fabrics on sale for
$2.00/yard? The selection in that price range isn't great, but things
do exist. If you go to $4.00/yard, the selection opens up to include
some 100% cotton solids and some florals and children's prints. Again,
they're not my favorite, but they'd work a lot better than something
that ravels and tears and squirms and melts.

Other sources for inexpensive cotton fabrics include old clothes and
used clothes at the thrift store or garage sale.

I hate to think of those poor women battling fabric when fabric should
be a source of joy. It almost makes me cringe to think of women taking
a first quilting class and not falling in love. Something that has
brought so much joy to my life should be for everybody.

--Lia

Old October 16th 03, 03:16 AM
Laura Bartl

I have a question relating to this - do/can manufacturer's print the same
print to different qualities of base fabrics and sell them under the same
names, for more or less, depending upon the outlet? Like I would put
Laura's Daisy Print on high quality fabric to sell at an LQS and Laura's
Daisy Print on lower quality fabric to sell at Wal-Mart?

this is something I heard once that I found hard to believe, but what do I
know?

Watching the Cubs, trying not to puke. Ugh. (((

TIA!
--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
I know we've debated chain store v. quilt shop fabric to death. :-)
But, I came across an interesting article on the subject in an exerpt
posted on Jane Sassaman's website (worth a visit all in itself)

It certainly won't end the debate but it was interesting reading.

http://www.janesassaman.com/special-...mony/colorharm
onyexcerpt.html

what do you think?
marcella

Old October 16th 03, 04:03 AM
nana2b

Passing an airsick bag to Laura! I already used one.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old October 16th 03, 04:15 AM
Diana Curtis

Good point! We all use what we feel is right and what we can afford. Now,
lets go do some quilting!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Dustbunny (Christina in OK)" wrote

Old October 16th 03, 12:04 PM
Marijke

There's a huge difference between people who put down others for buying less
than LQS quality and using fabric that isn't really appropriate for
quilting - such as sheer curtains. Honestly, I can't see how you can even
compare the two and it doesn't change how I feel by one iota.

Marijke

FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM
Wonky Fabric Rant Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 15 August 8th 03 12:50 PM
72 Excuses for Adding to Your Stash Debbi Quilting 16 July 29th 03 12:18 PM