machine quilting curves

Old October 18th 03, 08:01 PM
Dr. Quilter

Default machine quilting curves

question for you experience machine quilters. I bought a new sewing
machine, because the tension of my 1968's SINGER was beyond regulation.
Got a sewing machine table, but I was still having trouble, so Fer cut
the legs so it would be exactly at the same level as the old one. I am
still having trouble in the curves. He thinks that I apply different
pull to the sandwich when doing curves, either because I change the
speed to faster or because the side drag of the quilt is different. His
theory is that is why when I go around a pattern that has straight lines
and curves, in the curves you can see that the top thread is making
little hooks on the back, and the bobbin thread is almost on the surface
of the backing. It was a border, which might be related to it, since
there is not much to grab it from on the right side, in the SM's bed. I
had no problem quilting placemats. Any suggestions? Do I just need more
practice? The machine's straight stitch is wonderful, the walking foot
works great (although a little noisy), I like the way it binds bobbins,
how it is threaded automaticall, the needle down option, etc.
--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 18th 03, 09:36 PM
MOIRA RIDDELL

Have you tried the new curve foot? I am not too sure who makes it, but I
bought one in August, and watched the demo, once mastered this is not a bad
foot, certainly helps with the curve piecing.

Moira

Old October 18th 03, 09:43 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

[...]

Are you using a walking foot or doing free motion quilting? I'm trying
to understand your description of "pulling" are you actually pulling on
the fabric to make the curve or are you really just guiding it with your
hands? If you actually have to pull, it may be that your quilt is
hanging off the table or otherwise dragging on something and this is the
problem. Those poor little feed dogs are just not strong enough to lift
a quilt off the side of the table and under the needle for quilting.

marcella
Old October 18th 03, 09:54 PM
frood

I still have trouble when I go sideways in free-motion quilting with the
loops on the back. It's better if I go a little slower, but not too slowly
as I go around curves. I figure it is operator error (as opposed to
something wrong with the machine), and I do get better with practice.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old October 19th 03, 10:05 AM
Roberta in D

Wish I could watch you do it, it would be easier to answer the question.
Try with your free motion foot in a straight line until you master even
stitches (backwards and forwards, and side to side), then *very slowly*
around a curve, trying for the same even stitches. Generally you need to
slow down for curves, just like driving a car.

Also, it sounds like you don't have enough table to support the weight of
the quilt.
Roberta in D

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in news:bms2i7$g04$1
@nntp3.u.washington.edu:

Old October 19th 03, 06:31 PM
Dr. Quilter

Hi Marcella..

free motion-ing with a darning foot, feed dogs down. I have no problem
with the walking foot, or with piecing. The pulling comes from the fact
that it is hard to manouver the quilt. It is not hanging, since I have
the machine at table level, and against a wall. It is laminate, so it
should glide. I think it might be related to the fact that it is an edge
and I don't have good control over the right side (rolled quilt to the
left of the SM, right edge of the quilt under needle, not much left on
the right to put my hand on).

Old October 19th 03, 06:32 PM
Dr. Quilter

I think you understood me exactly... so it is either both you and me, or
our SMs... ) Fer said that I tend to go faster when doing the curve...
I am not aware of that, but he was watching me....

Old October 19th 03, 09:19 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

Hi Marcella..

free motion-ing with a darning foot, feed dogs down. I have no problem
with the walking foot, or with piecing. The pulling comes from the fact
that it is hard to manouver the quilt. It is not hanging, since I have
the machine at table level, and against a wall. It is laminate, so it
should glide. I think it might be related to the fact that it is an edge
and I don't have good control over the right side (rolled quilt to the
left of the SM, right edge of the quilt under needle, not much left on
the right to put my hand on).

OK, the only thing I can think of then is an old hand quilting trick.
Baste an extension onto the right side of your quilt. Get out a quarter
yard of so of fabric and safety pin it to the edge of your quilt. That
should give you something more to hang on to. Better if you have an old
piece of something heavier lying around (closer to quilt thickness) like
pre quilted fabric or fleece. I suspect the need to use something like
this will decrease the more you practice.

Hang in there!
marcella
Old October 25th 03, 05:38 PM
Dr. Quilter

hadn't thought of that! quilt was finsihed and handed to baby a week ago
(mom tells me she stares at is all the time, it is purple and green and
obviously has enough contrast for her one month old little eyes! ) but
I will try it with the next puppy if I still have problems. washing and
drying it fluffed it enought that the 'defects' were not so noticeable.

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

In article ,
"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

[...]

HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 01:28 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM
quilting machine rjwhite6 Quilting 19 September 13th 03 01:43 PM
Machine Quilting HELP for a NEWBIE Kathy in CA Quilting 1 August 20th 03 09:18 PM
Advice needed: tying off versus machine quilting. dogmom Quilting 8 August 12th 03 06:02 PM