Another wannabe Basement Bandit....

Old December 24th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Another wannabe Basement Bandit....

Well, I wondered how long it was going to take you to start hawking your web
site.
I think that is that only reason your here.

--
Connie

The Glass Campus Tutorials are so heavily frequented there's no
advantage to promoting them on a site as backwater as this one. GC
probably gets more visits each day then this place does in several
months.

I'm here more because it so ****es off your compadre Anderson from
Gator**** GA and his gaggle of self-styled elitist artists.

I'm not just helping to create more basement bandits. I also enjoy
helping people open new retail shops. Here's an article many have
found helpful:
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ssBusiness.pdf
Old December 24th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 24, 9:48 am, wrote:
Well, I wondered how long it was going to take you to start hawking your web
site.
I think that is that only reason your here.

--
Connie

The Glass Campus Tutorials are so heavily frequented there's no
advantage to promoting them on a site as backwater as this one. GC
probably gets more visits each day then this place does in several
months.

I'm here more because it so ****es off your compadre Anderson from
Gator**** GA and his gaggle of self-styled elitist artists.

I'm not just helping to create more basement bandits. I also enjoy
helping people open new retail shops. Here's an article many have
found helpful:http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...lGlassBusiness...

Hey Moonraker, Glass Dogs, Max, Dudley, or whatever your lastest alias
is.....
You really should take a kilnforming class. Even our beginner
students have learned how to avoid all the problems you're asking for
help with on the WG board. Hasn't anybody explained to you that
slumping short spans requires more heatwork then long spans?
Old December 24th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message news:2040c695-45cf-40d8-8df3- Hey
Moonraker, Glass Dogs, Max, Dudley, or whatever your lastest alias
is.....
You really should take a kilnforming class. Even our beginner
students have learned how to avoid all the problems you're asking for
help with on the WG board. Hasn't anybody explained to you that
slumping short spans requires more heatwork then long spans?

Hey, numbnuts. If you are so damned smart, why don't you just log onto WG
and answer the posts over there?

Oh. I forgot. You got permanently banned from the Warmglass board for your
lack of knowledge and continually self-promoting your dumbass self and your
shady business practices. Never mind. Sure has been peaceful over there,
too. Wish we could do that on Usenet, too.

I'll seek help from some folks who actually DO glass, not fantasize about
it.

I have no idea who "Max" or "Dudley" are. Must be voices in your head.

Old December 25th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 24, 2:08 pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
[...]

This article provides the answers to all your questions:
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ayer_glass.pdf
Old December 25th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message news:1a1ee1be-9423-41df-aa69- This
article provides the answers to all your questions:
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ayer_glass.pdf

As usual, more mis-information and off- subject.

The discussion is about REGULAR Spectrum TEXTURED glass, not System 96.

Old December 25th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...mping_single_l...

As usual, more mis-information and off- subject.

The discussion is about REGULAR Spectrum TEXTURED glass, not System 96.

It couldn't be more on subject. Slumping single layer regular art
glass is precisely what that article is about. If you're slumping
single layer, why bother with fusible when regular art glass works
just as well? You can use Spectrum, Wissmach (transparent only), or
architectural (Pilkington and Glaverbel are especially attractive).
Here's a photo of one of more then 1000 pieces we've made from
Spectrum Rack Pack glass.
http://www.debrady.com/kilnglass/fus...pkinpurple.JPG

Here's one of architectural that worked well:
http://www.debrady.com/kilnglass/fus...bambootray.jpg

I regularly teach basement bandit kilnformers that single layer slumps
are the quickest and cheapest way to make a marketable product. A
single 12" x 12" piece from a Rack Pack costing less then $2 can make
either a 12" round, a set of 1 -8x8 and 4 - 4x4 sushi dishes, or 4
-6x6 candy dishes. With the right firing schedule, you can slump and
fire polish at the same time and if you ignore the recommendations to
fire slow, you can do 3 kiln loads each day.

Kilnforming is ENORMOUSLY more profitable then stained glass - both
making and selling the finished product and selling supplies to
hobbyists or artisans.

Old December 25th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
JKGlassman

wrote in message
On Dec 24, 4:30 pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message news:1a1ee1be-9423-41df-aa69- This

article provides the answers to all your questions:

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...mping_single_l...

As usual, more mis-information and off- subject.

The discussion is about REGULAR Spectrum TEXTURED glass, not System 96.

It couldn't be more on subject. Slumping single layer regular art
glass is precisely what that article is about. If you're slumping
single layer, why bother with fusible when regular art glass works
just as well? You can use Spectrum, Wissmach (transparent only), or
architectural (Pilkington and Glaverbel are especially attractive).
Here's a photo of one of more then 1000 pieces we've made from
Spectrum Rack Pack glass.
http://www.debrady.com/kilnglass/fus...pkinpurple.JPG

Time to back up what you're saying Dennis. Are they actually making
money, taking into consideration materials, utility bills, a days labor, and
turnover ratio? Turning out vases and dishes every day is fun and easy, but
how often and at what price so they sell? I have a wall full of such single
piece bends.... vases, dishes, etc etc. Selling it at a profit is very
different than making a living at it. I doubt anyone is, but you can prove
me wrong with a single name. Sure it's easy to make, so are chopsticks.

--
JK Sinrod
http://www.sinrodstudios.com

Old December 25th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 25, 11:44 am, "JKGlassman" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Who are you that I should feel a need to prove anything to you?

Whether or not you believe what I say is irrelevant. Whether or not
you wish to use the Tutorials I provide is also irrelevant. Whether
or not you chose to take any of the classes I offer is equally
irrelevant. The Tutorials are hugely popular and our classes are
always sold out. The customized weeklong stained glass classes have
turned out to be exceptionally popular - with bookings almost
continuous into next summer.
http://www.glasscampus.com/classes/c...kintensive.htm

The demand for these have made us realize we should be offering
similar kilnforming classes (perhaps even longer then one week). Just
one more great reason to come visit Victoria BC - the prettiest city
in North America.

While other glass businesses are closing, the Brady family enterprises
are expanding steadily. Victorian Art Glass has acquired a number of
new distributorships and Glass Campus Publishing is planning several
new books. Watch for our promotional sales campaign in January.
Keep watching the Stained Glass News for the many products we
manufacture and available soon in retailers near you.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/masterartisan.htm

Adapt or die. For the aggressively adaptive, this is a time of
enormous opportunity - especially for basement bandits smart enough to
work from minimum overhead home studios.

Old December 25th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Moonraker....

Seeing as how the "experts" on the WG board weren't able to adequately
answer your questions, I'll give you a little Christmas present. From
our extensive experiments with short span slumps on weaving molds, we
learned that the usually suggested slump times and temperatures didn't
work on short spans. Here's a schedule that has always worked for us
on single layer Spectrum (fusible or not):

1. 500 dph to 1000 hold 20 min
2. 900 dph to 1265 hold 60 min (it takes that to complete the slump)
3. 1200 dph to 1300 hold 6 min (to fire polish the edge - the glass
can ramp faster but the mold can't)
4. FAP to 960 hold 60 (anneal)
5. 500 dph to 100 OFF

If you want to try it on architectural glass, increase all top
temperatures by 50 degrees and fire polish hold time to 7 min.
If your kiln provides relatively even heat and you want to push
firing times for multiple firings each day, you can increase the ramp
speed as high as 750 dph. Take care to be sure your mold isn't
sitting on the kiln shelf but is propped up to allow air flow beneath
it.

Merry Christmas