a Glass Clear material???

Old January 29th 05, 03:02 PM
rasmus andersson

Default a Glass Clear material???

I am looking for a Glass Clear material that can be used as a
grout/joint(?) for a mosaic. The mosaic is made of small glass tiles so
the material has to adhere to glass,(and wood).
I have tried with an acrylic paste but it does not adhere very well to
the glass, and during evaporation it looses to much volume, and it
looks pretty yellowish and not transparent enough.
Does anyone here knows of a good tranparent product that might be a
solution.
(if available in europe, that would be a help too)
Thanks alot,
rasmus

Old January 29th 05, 03:44 PM
Mark Jones

rasmus andersson wrote:
I am looking for a Glass Clear material that can be used as a
grout/joint(?) for a mosaic. The mosaic is made of small glass tiles so
the material has to adhere to glass,(and wood).
I have tried with an acrylic paste but it does not adhere very well to
the glass, and during evaporation it looses to much volume, and it
looks pretty yellowish and not transparent enough.
Does anyone here knows of a good tranparent product that might be a
solution.
(if available in europe, that would be a help too)
Thanks alot,
rasmus

I'm not a glassworker myself but have you considered silicone adhesive? I think
it comes in a clear version also, if so, that stuff sticks to just about
anything and is watertight, pliable, heat-resistant, etc. There has to be some
epoxies that fit the bill also. Have you tried searching google and (even
better) ebay?
Old January 29th 05, 04:51 PM
rasmus

...but have you considered silicone adhesive?

....Silicone could have been a solution. But the silicone that I know of
has a high viscosity and that makes it difficult to cover large areas
of small mosaic tiles. It has to be something that is more liquid.

Old January 29th 05, 05:33 PM

Silicone caulk or sealer or adhesive will work, for your project. Use
a palette knife or a very small trowel to spread the stuff.

Old January 29th 05, 05:40 PM
Javahut

"rasmus" wrote in message
oups.com...
...but have you considered silicone adhesive?

...Silicone could have been a solution. But the silicone that I know of
has a high viscosity and that makes it difficult to cover large areas
of small mosaic tiles. It has to be something that is more liquid.

Polyester Casting Resin, water clear, low viscosity, rapid set time.

Same stuff used to put a "fly in an ice cube" , available a many hobby and
craft stores.

Old January 29th 05, 05:55 PM
Moonraker

"Javahut" wrote in message
Polyester Casting Resin, water clear, low viscosity, rapid set time.

Same stuff used to put a "fly in an ice cube" , available a many hobby and
craft stores.

You aren't the kinda guy that would pull a stunt like that, are ya?

Old January 29th 05, 06:31 PM
rasmus

The polyester resin sound good, but does it adhere to glass?

Old January 29th 05, 06:33 PM
Mike Firth

Look at E-6000 and the related Goop products, most of which are clear.
E-6000 is self leveling, very strong, and clear and harder when set that
silicone. If exposed to UV it will gradually turn brownish and loose grip.
UV-6800 is more resistant and is supposed to be clear, I haven't seen it.
Marine Goop is clear, more pasty than E-6000 and supposed to be more UV
resistant. On the web site http://eclecticproducts.com/goop/adhesives.asp
by carefully examining the various descriptions you can detect flow and UV
resistance. I thought there was a table but didn't find it. By the way,
E-6000 is VERY stinky, do not use it in the house unless you have superb
ventilation and a strong nose.
While GE Silicone adhesive is pasty, GE RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing)
is much more liquid and can be used for making flexible detailed casting
molds that will cast at molten lead temps for several uses. It is normally
a commercial product. Look at glass industry suppliers like CRL and Somaca
here in the states.
Because of the difference in expansion, I question whether resin (hi
expansion) will work with glass (lower expansion) or will pull away from the
edges. The silicone products are flexible.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

ups.com...

Old January 29th 05, 08:05 PM
rasmus

I didn't know that silicone came in so many variations, even self
leveling silicone (that seems to be the thing). I am curious to try the
GE RTV655 from GE Silicones. But of course, when looking for
distributors of this product in Europe, I could not find any.
Well, now I have something to look for.
thanks...