A quick gift idea.

Old March 3rd 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

Default A quick gift idea.

Here is a scarf I made today from some fabric I have on hand and am
using for a series of quilts for wounded Veterans. I power pieced the
cut strips into the needed combinations for a 9 patch pattern and then
assembled the whole thing using some Harriet Hargrave 100% wool
batting cutoffs that I have left over from some previously completed
quilts. I was able to finish this scarf in one day, so It is an idea
for those gift needs that suddenly can come up for people who live in
the colder parts of the country and would benefit from such a gift.
The wool batting makes it very warm and the cotton exterior shell
makes it comfortable to use next to your neck. It is easily washable
in the washing machine and you can put it in a low heat dryer and it
comes out as good as new. I made one for myself a couple of months
ago, and it has supplanted the Tartan Wool scarf I picked up in
Scotland a few years ago.

Here you go: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

John
Old March 4th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

John wrote:

Here you go:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

John

Very nice, John. Although I 'confess', I thought it might
serve nicely as a priestly stole:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stole_%28vestment%29
VBG

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old March 4th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Betsy

BEI Design wrote:
John wrote:

Here you go:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

John

Very nice, John. Although I 'confess', I thought it might
serve nicely as a priestly stole:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stole_%28vestment%29
VBG

I had the same immediate reaction to it. I think the way it is
displayed for the picture makes it look even more stole like than it
really is.

--Betsy
Old March 4th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

On 3/3/2010 7:53 PM, Betsy wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
John wrote:

Here you go:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

John

Very nice, John. Although I 'confess', I thought it might serve nicely
as a priestly stole:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stole_%28vestment%29
VBG

I had the same immediate reaction to it. I think the way it is displayed
for the picture makes it look even more stole like than it really is.

--Betsy

Yeah but!! John comes upp with great ideas no matter how he poses them.I
have a couple of DGS who would kill for that scarf.
John
Old March 4th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Mar 3, 7:08*pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
John wrote:

Here you go:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...l0EQ?feat=dire....

John

Very nice, John. *Although I 'confess', I thought it might
serve nicely as a priestly stole:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stole_%28vestment%29
VBG

--
Beverlyhttp://ickes.us/default.aspx

It is the Altar Boy in me, that caused it to manifest itself. You have
found me out.
John
Old March 4th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Mar 3, 7:53*pm, Betsy wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
John wrote:

Here you go:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...l0EQ?feat=dire....

John

Very nice, John. *Although I 'confess', I thought it might
serve nicely as a priestly stole:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stole_%28vestment%29
VBG

I had the same immediate reaction to it. *I think the way it is
displayed for the picture makes it look even more stole like than it
really is.

--Betsy

The reason I set it up to display that way, is to highlight, the
direction of the stars in the center piece of each block. If I had
just set the blocks in one continuos direction with the points of the
stars facing up, when they curved around the neck they would have
headed downward. Let's face it, for something of such a potentially
"patriotic theme" nature, that would never do. The points of the stars
should always be pointing upward. or so I was thinking. I had to
reverse the direction at the center back of the neck, where it would
not be noticeable, to accomplish this feet of legerdemain, and
showcase it in the manner I did. There it is. Not some secret,
Apostolic, Jesuit theme, just an appreciation of the esthetics of star
placement. Even though all that good Parochial School Education, and
an Aunt who was a Mother Superior, and an Uncle, who was a Jesuit
Classics Scholar, might have had "some" influence, I try to not let
that be an overriding force, in my design theory.
John
John

Old March 4th 10, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

John wrote:

[...]

Ah HA!!! I knew there was method to your madness. I applaud
your choice to keep the starts running the correct direction
on each side, bravo!

Beverly

Old March 4th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

BEI Design wrote:
John wrote:

applaud your choice to keep the starts running the

sigh "stars"

Old April 9th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
mirjam

Just saw your scarf
WOW
mirjam

A quick gift Idea John Quilting 6 March 4th 10 01:32 PM
Baby Gift Basket Idea - Tips to Create Unique Baby Gift Baskets brent General Crafting 0 March 19th 07 05:43 PM
Gift Idea ..HELP! Christina Doucette Quilting 5 December 5th 05 04:51 PM
That gift idea Dr. Sooz Beads 10 September 4th 04 04:26 PM
Gift idea help! Cina Quilting 13 December 23rd 03 04:40 PM