Spotting in Super Sculpy how to stop ?

Old May 14th 05, 07:52 AM
Neo Hawkeye

Default Spotting in Super Sculpy how to stop ?

With Super Sculpy is there a way to stop the spotting after you have
baked the product.

Thanks

Neo

Old May 14th 05, 04:20 PM
Sarajane Helm

Neo, do you mean darker spots in the clay after baking? thats something
Sculpey is prone to do, as it discolors sometimes on baking. It is the only
clay with both waterbased and oilbased plasticisers in it, and will also
tarnish foils or metal inclusions. Its not as...easy...a clay as you might
think, given its deceptive softness in the hand. Its brittle after baking,
discolors easily, bubbles sometimes, and in all is best left to little
kids.In My Opinion, of course!

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

Old May 14th 05, 05:03 PM
Neo Hawkeye

On 2005-05-14 16:20:34 +0100, "Sarajane Helm" said:

Neo, do you mean darker spots in the clay after baking? thats something
Sculpey is prone to do, as it discolors sometimes on baking. It is the only
clay with both waterbased and oilbased plasticisers in it, and will also
tarnish foils or metal inclusions. Its not as...easy...a clay as you might
think, given its deceptive softness in the hand. Its brittle after baking,
discolors easily, bubbles sometimes, and in all is best left to little
kids.In My Opinion, of course!

I see, what clay would you recommend then that I can buy in large lumps
cheaply, paint and also bake in the oven.

All the premo coloured ones only come in small blocks and are pre coloured.

Any advise is always welcome

Neo

Old May 14th 05, 06:12 PM
Carla

Neo, you can order one pound bricks of Premo from
http://www.polymerclayexpress.com

Cheers,
Carla

Old May 14th 05, 08:00 PM
Neo Hawkeye

On 2005-05-14 16:20:34 +0100, "Sarajane Helm" said:

Neo, do you mean darker spots in the clay after baking? thats something
Sculpey is prone to do, as it discolors sometimes on baking. It is the only
clay with both waterbased and oilbased plasticisers in it, and will also
tarnish foils or metal inclusions. Its not as...easy...a clay as you might
think, given its deceptive softness in the hand. Its brittle after baking,
discolors easily, bubbles sometimes, and in all is best left to little
kids.In My Opinion, of course!

I see, what clay would you recommend then that I can buy in large lumps
cheaply, paint and also bake in the oven.

All the premo coloured ones only come in small blocks and are pre coloured.

Any advise is always welcome

Neo

Yes if I lived in the USA most proberbly but in the UK I am unable to
find a shop that sells premo in large blocks

Old May 14th 05, 08:03 PM
Neo Hawkeye

On 2005-05-14 16:20:34 +0100, "Sarajane Helm" said:

Neo, do you mean darker spots in the clay after baking? thats something
Sculpey is prone to do, as it discolors sometimes on baking. It is the only
clay with both waterbased and oilbased plasticisers in it, and will also
tarnish foils or metal inclusions. Its not as...easy...a clay as you might
think, given its deceptive softness in the hand. Its brittle after baking,
discolors easily, bubbles sometimes, and in all is best left to little
kids.In My Opinion, of course!

I see, what clay would you recommend then that I can buy in large lumps
cheaply, paint and also bake in the oven.

All the premo coloured ones only come in small blocks and are pre coloured.

Any advise is always welcome

Neo

its also twice the price for the same amount unfortunately

Old May 14th 05, 08:09 PM
Diana Curtis

Emma Ralph seems to sell large blocks of Fimo on her site.
http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/
HTH
Diana

Old May 14th 05, 09:15 PM
Fenrir Enterprises

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:03:35 GMT, Neo Hawkeye wrote:

I see, what clay would you recommend then that I can buy in large lumps
cheaply, paint and also bake in the oven.

All the premo coloured ones only come in small blocks and are pre coloured.

Any advise is always welcome

Neo

I think Sarajane was confusing Super Sculpey big pink blocks with
Sculpey III little blocks, which are quite annoying to work with. I
had to use half a ream of card stock to leech it enough so that the
beads I'm making don't deform if I breathe on it.

Super Sculpey is more like Premo, though still softer. You may have
old stock, or you may be baking it too high. Get an oven thermometer
and check the temperature in your oven. Also, make sure the Sculpey is
completely conditioned and mixed. If it's been sitting too long, the
plasticizer may all be on one side. Roll it out into as thin a log as
you have room for, then fold it up in zigzags and press it back into a
thick roll, then do the same thing again three or four times.

You can also try baking it longer at a lower temperature. 200F for an
hour seems to work.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Old May 15th 05, 06:35 AM
Neo Hawkeye

On 2005-05-14 21:15:30 +0100, (Fenrir Enterprises) said:

[...]

I have got an oven thermometer and it was very suprising to see how far
out the oven gauge was compared to the real temprature.

I will try our idea about baking at a lower temprature for a longer
period to see if that sorts the issue out.

Whilst on the subject whats the best way to smooth super scuply so all
the finger prints are gone before baking any suggestions ?

Old May 15th 05, 06:56 AM
Fenrir Enterprises

I have got an oven thermometer and it was very suprising to see how far
out the oven gauge was compared to the real temprature.

I will try our idea about baking at a lower temprature for a longer
period to see if that sorts the issue out.

Whilst on the subject whats the best way to smooth super scuply so all
the finger prints are gone before baking any suggestions ?

Get a set of clay working tools, wooden or plastic ones are fine since
they won't be sitting on top of the clay for hour and leech it or get
softened by it. Look for one that has a smoother. You can also try
using gloves, try nitrile ones because they're less reactive to
solvents.

---