dipping in polish

Old October 16th 04, 07:51 PM
Carla

Default dipping in polish

Hi all,

Somewhere recently, I came across a link (that I foolishly didn't
follow) for instructions about dipping clay beads in Varathane or
polyurethane, so as to avoid brush marks. I thought it was Sarajane's
site, but couldn't find it when I went back.

Does anyone have info on this? If you do it, how do you avoid the
drip/glop on the bottom?

sanding - how do you manage to hold on to the beads to get them
sanded? Especially in water? And not end up with scratches? I want to
try some larger beads and buff them instead of polish, but my sanding
efforts, in a word, suck.

Cheers,
Carla
Old October 16th 04, 08:49 PM
Sjpolyclay

Somewhere recently, I came across a link (that I foolishly didn't
follow) for instructions about dipping clay beads in Varathane or
polyurethane, so as to avoid brush marks. I thought it was Sarajane's
site, but couldn't find it when I went back.

Hi Carla!
no, I'm not a dipper---I don't like the drips---tooo much work. I paint the
Varathane on with a good brush and get no brush marks--you got marks, you
either have a really plasticy bristle brush, or old Varathane---or both.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old October 16th 04, 10:32 PM
CRFT456

You may want to lay the sand paper down, and then rub the bead on top of
it(instead of vice versa). Scratches might be coming from using too coarse of
a paper, might need to use a finer one.

Lynn

model stitch, beadwork, polyclay...and sell it.....graphic design too
www.moonbeamglitter.com
( WIP www.moonlitcrossings.com)
Old October 17th 04, 12:04 AM
Arondelle

Sjpolyclay wrote:
no, I'm not a dipper---I don't like the drips---tooo much work. I paint the
Varathane on with a good brush and get no brush marks--you got marks, you
either have a really plasticy bristle brush, or old Varathane---or both.

I've tried applying coatings and paint of various sorts with my fingers.
Look, Ma: no drips or brush marks! Oddly, you won't get fingerprints
either as long as your coating is of the right consistancy and you work
quickly enough so the coating doesn't start to dry while you're still
handling it.

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Old October 17th 04, 05:19 PM
DianeGlassAttic

Hi Carla,

You may have seen my lesson on dipping beads in Varathane on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

There are other lessons and tips on dipping on that page too, as well as tips
on other ways to apply liquid finishes to avoid brush marks etc., etc.(from our
own Sarajane! & others).

HTH,

Diane B.
http://www.glassattic.com ...... polymer clay "encyclopedia"

.........if sending me e-mail, DO NOT USE THIS AOL address (or I may never see
it!) Use this address instead:

..

Old October 17th 04, 06:14 PM
Carla

Thanks, Diane, and everyone else for the responses. What I was looking
for wasn't on the Glass Attic page, either, though.

This said something like "See my tips for dipping in Varathane...without
the drips." I was probably at work when I saw it, that's why I didn't
bookmark it.

Or maybe it was just my polyclay-fevered brain playing tricks on me

Cheers,
Carla

.

Old October 17th 04, 08:34 PM
Diana Curtis

Was it on the same pages as the lessons on how to make swirled lentils?
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)
nk.net...

Old October 18th 04, 12:02 AM
Carla

Nope, no luck there, after quite a bit of browsing. Found a bunch of
other useful info, though, that I missed the first time around

Cheers,
Carla

Diana Curtis wrote:
Was it on the same pages as the lessons on how to make swirled lentils?
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)
nk.net...

Old October 18th 04, 05:25 PM
irish.red

Hi Carla,

I think this may be what you are looking for:
http://www.pcpolyzine.com/february2001/varathane.html
Part two is he
http://www.pcpolyzine.com/april2001/varathane2.html

Kim