Machine Knitting

Old January 2nd 04, 03:46 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Machine Knitting

Hi,
I was beginning to feel like the machine knitting world had left
me behind. It seemed like EVERONE was getting electronic and getting
rid of their old punchcard machines. So many of the new beautiful
patterns were only able to be done on the electronic it was
disheartening.
I really only read here but am starting to get anxious about my
machine gathering dust. Not too much seems to be going on in the
group here lately, very inactive and very few responses. Don't be
disheartened.
Welcome to the group... (from just a non-knitting wanna-be)
Joy

I aim to get back to do a little machine knitting........due to ill
health...i havn't done any for a long time.......i switched to machine
embroidery which i just love.....because of the heavy weights and so on...
I have a Brother 830 punch card ......I got rid of all my electronic
equipment..but kept my old faithful....
So I am hopeing i can please join in with the newsgroup...when i
can..........
Happy Knitting.....and crafting to you all.........

Old January 2nd 04, 10:57 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:46:55 GMT, Joy Hardie wrote:

Hi,
I was beginning to feel like the machine knitting world had left
me behind. It seemed like EVERONE was getting electronic and getting
rid of their old punchcard machines. So many of the new beautiful
patterns were only able to be done on the electronic it was
disheartening.

Glad I'm not the only one who's resisted electronic! Heck, some of my
favorite projects didn't use any patterning at all, just shaping.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old January 4th 04, 07:29 PM
Marion Pearcey

The message
from "Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer" contains these words:

Glad I'm not the only one who's resisted electronic! Heck, some of my
favorite projects didn't use any patterning at all, just shaping.

From 1967 until 1984 U had a Brother machine that didn't even have
punchcards. You pressed buttons and pushed a lever on every row and you
had to lay the contrast yarn across manually over an eight stitch
pattern repeat..

Then I entered a competition in a daily paper to win a Brother 910
electronic, the first electronic they made and to my amazement I won it.
We had a happy relationship until last year when the pattern reading
mechanism packed up and because of its age spare parts couldn't be
obtained. Although
I think fondly of my first little machine I must admit an electronic
does open up a different world. I had to replace my 910 with a 950i and
am quite happy with it.

--
Marion

Old January 4th 04, 08:50 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:29:37 GMT, Marion Pearcey wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who's resisted electronic! Heck, some of my
favorite projects didn't use any patterning at all, just shaping.

From 1967 until 1984 U had a Brother machine that didn't even have
punchcards. You pressed buttons and pushed a lever on every row and you
had to lay the contrast yarn across manually over an eight stitch
pattern repeat..

LOL, for a moment there, I wondered how you knew I'd had a machine like
that. But I got mine about 10 years later and traded up to a punchcard 860
in '84. It still works beautifully, unlike the 910 I bought later, which
turned out to be brain dead, and by then brain transplants were no longer
available. That's one argument for the purely mechanical machines; no
brain to die.

Then I entered a competition in a daily paper to win a Brother 910
electronic, the first electronic they made and to my amazement I won it.
We had a happy relationship until last year when the pattern reading
mechanism packed up and because of its age spare parts couldn't be
obtained. Although
I think fondly of my first little machine I must admit an electronic
does open up a different world. I had to replace my 910 with a 950i and
am quite happy with it.

Yes, that 950i sure looks like a nice machine. I also think fondly of my
old Genie 710 push-button machine. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it instead of
trading it in.