Tiny dolls' clothes

Old August 30th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Margaret

Default Tiny dolls' clothes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 29, 11:28 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I don't know what a Sylvannian house is.

Sylvanian Families is a brand of plastic houses that can be populated
with little animals instead of dolls. I don't care much for the
animals but their houses and furnishings (despite being plastic) are
quite detailed. I have "Willow Hall" and a friend in Japan sends me
furniture. It satisfies my desire to arrange tiny things into a pretty
scene.
http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/

Heavens! That's very clever marketing apart from anything else :-)

I love that you're making the house war period - that's exactly the
era of house I'd like to make. I hope you can share some photos along
the way, especially when you've knitted up some tiny outfits.

Well, I shall - but it's going to be a l-o-n-g project! This morning I was
going to discard a by now very thin facecloth. I brought dozens of new,
thick, facecloths from my Mum's so don't need to continue with out old
ones any more.

Then I realised that although it was so thin it would make good scale
towels for Marntlock* House (the dolls' house). I can see that I'm going
to be spending my life in the next few months seeing how things could
scale down appropriately g

And carrying a 6" ruler (size of a dollshouse man) to assess relative size
to 1/12th scale!!!

Mary
* my godfather inscribed a plate with this name over the front door, it's
made up from the first three letters of my first name, the middle three
from my middle name and the last three from my (maiden) last name: Mary
Bentley Livock.

Old August 31st 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:30:33 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Well, I shall - but it's going to be a l-o-n-g project! This morning I was
going to discard a by now very thin facecloth. I brought dozens of new,
thick, facecloths from my Mum's so don't need to continue with out old ones
any more.

That's funny. I'm always looking for thin faceclothes, which are not
sold much any more. I hate the thick ones. Maybe we should do an
exchange!

Then I realised that although it was so thin it would make good scale towels
for Marntlock* House (the dolls' house). I can see that I'm going to be
spending my life in the next few months seeing how things could scale down
appropriately g

I furnished a doll's house for my daughters when they were little. The
house itself had been made for a nursery school by one of the
teachers. It was very simple, with four rooms, stacked two over two.
It was also more shallow than most doll houses, so that little hands
could arrange the furniture without knocking things over.

I made sofas, beds, and chairs from an old set of painted wooden
building blocks, of various shapes, that my daughters had outgrown. I
used margarine tub lids (and similar), glued to blocks, as tables. I
made lampshades from toothpaste caps.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old August 31st 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

Try locating a secondhand book called Doll's House needlecrafts (over 250
Projecs in 12th scale by Venus A. Dodge. ISBN 0 7153 1358 4

I should think it is still available either on ebay or from Amazon, I
worked in 12th scale alot for a while, and still have this book and it is
lovely.

cheers......Cher

Old August 31st 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Margaret" wrote in message

... I can see that I'm going to be spending my life in the next few
months seeing how things could scale down appropriately g

And carrying a 6" ruler (size of a dollshouse man) to assess relative size
to 1/12th scale!!!

Not for a 1940s Englishman, there were some but they were unusual. And
especially so in our family :-(

Robyn's father (our No 2 son) is the tallest in our family. When we went to
his passing out parade we couldn't see him, he was smaller than most of the
others marching - even most of the girls were taller than he was. He's still
not more than 5'8" until he dons his high heeled motorbike boots and
helmet..

Our two oldest grandsons are 6' at 21 and they stick out like sore thumbs on
family photographs :-) Spouse is 5'5".

Mary

Old August 31st 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Y?" wrote in message
.uk...
Try locating a secondhand book called Doll's House needlecrafts (over 250
Projecs in 12th scale by Venus A. Dodge. ISBN 0 7153 1358 4

I should think it is still available either on ebay or from Amazon, I
worked in 12th scale alot for a while, and still have this book and it is
lovely.

cheers......Cher

I'll have a look for that, thank you.

Mary

Old August 31st 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Y?" wrote in message
.uk...
Try locating a secondhand book called Doll's House needlecrafts (over 250
Projecs in 12th scale by Venus A. Dodge. ISBN 0 7153 1358 4

I should think it is still available either on ebay or from Amazon, I
worked in 12th scale alot for a while, and still have this book and it is
lovely.

cheers......Cher

Now ordered from Amazon, thanks again.

Mary

Old August 31st 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

"B Vaughan" wrote in message

That's funny. I'm always looking for thin faceclothes, which are not
sold much any more. I hate the thick ones. Maybe we should do an
exchange!

Barbara, try looking for baby facecloths. You can get packs of 8 or 10 for
very little money at places like Target, Babies R Us, etc.

LauraJ

Old August 31st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

I think you'll find that the blue covered paperback which I have, and the
hard back are exactly the same....you may not be able to get the knitting
needles for some of the knitted items but two long darning needles will do.I
used this idea very successfully for a long while until I bought some proper
ones. I think the DH shop in warminster stocks these needles too.

Cher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

.uk...

Old August 31st 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Y?" wrote in message
.uk...
I think you'll find that the blue covered paperback which I have, and the
hard back are exactly the same....you may not be able to get the knitting
needles for some of the knitted items but two long darning needles will
do.I used this idea very successfully for a long while until I bought some
proper ones. I think the DH shop in warminster stocks these needles too.

Cher

I ordered a second hand book, the condition isn't relevant - in fact I'd
like to think that the books I've bought new will one day be enjoyed by
someone else :-)

Getting needles is no problem at all - Spouse makes them :-)

If you mean Warminster in Wilts, I went through there on Saturday but we
didn't stop - I was on the back of son's big motorbike :-) I live in
Yorkshire. What's the DH shop?

Mary

Old August 31st 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

Take the Westbury road out to Warminster, and as you approach the traffic
lights there is the old back road to Warminster off to your left, take that
and as you eventually come back into the built up area and the 30zone, note
the shape right hander bend, to go down into the town, take the turning
(2nd) off of that bend to your left, up over a tiny incline across a mini
roundabout, and it is just along there on your right, set back, used to be
a green grocers at one time... if you get to the second mini roundabout with
the army barracks off to your left and opposite you, then you've gone too
far.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

.uk...