OT need help hemming a skirt

Old July 30th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT need help hemming a skirt

I bought a gorgeous jacket/skirt suit yesterday- *cheap* on sale. The skirt
comes to my ankles and I really do not like that length on my short chubby
body. The problem is that the skirt is a semi-slinky, stretchy, fine knit
fabric. The tag says it's 60% polyester, 35% rayon and 5% spandex.

I want to shorten the skirt about 15 inches, BUT.... I have concerns about
just cutting it off and hemming it. Sometimes this type of fabric will
'roll' instead of laying flat and it can also get 'runs' in the fabric. Is
there some way to stabilize it before I do any cutting or is there a way to
prevent it from rolling and making hemming more difficult? Also, should I
turn the raw edge under when I'm ready to hem it or use some type of seam
binding to prevent the extra bulk of turning it twice? (I do not own a
serger nor have access to one.)

Help!!!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 30th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Another idea- I even thought about wearing the skirt pulled up to right
under my arms and adding some straps and calling it a dress! LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 30th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I generally do all my own mending, hemming, and simple alterations
myself. However, if this were mine I wouldn't hesitate to take it to
a professional tailor! It will surely be worth the cost.

Old July 30th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

How is it finished now? Serged edge, probably.
First, measure very carefully to make sure there is no flare in the spot
your hem needs to be. Does the original have any slits or other details that
need duplicating? If so, take it to a pro!
You can sort of duplicate a serged edge. First, turn up the hem to where you
want it and pin just above the fold. Might need help from a friend for this
part, with you standing up on a chair. Now that you are symmetrical, might
be easier to put the skirt on wrong side out.

Mark a line up from the fold to show how deep the hem needs to be -2" maybe?
Use whatever the original was. You may now whack off most of that 15" about
an inch beyond your marked line for easier handling. Sew a stretchy single
line, e.g. a 3-stitch zigzag, over your marking. This should stabilize it
enough for you to do your machine's imitation serger finish on top of the
first stitching. Trim carefully and steam press the stitching line (use a
press cloth). Then press the fold line and hand-sew the hem. And press
again. Then send pictures :-)
Roberta in D

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old July 30th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Roberta Zollner" wrote:

[...]

Roberta, your instructions are exactly what I'd suggest -- especially
that first item. One other thing: many machines have another stitch
that might be nice to use. It looks rather like a row of xxxxxx's that
have been underlined. It makes a nice finished edge.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old July 30th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall

Leslie, if it has an elastic waist, maybe you could shorten it at the
waist
and not disturb the original hem.
Just a thought - I do my mom's skirts like this........
Mickie

Old July 30th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is what I was thinking Mickie. When you do it this way you don't
lose the flare of skirt line. If you are cutting off a lot you can
really lose the look.
NIce to see you popping in Mickie.
Hope things well with you.
How good it is to hear Leslie is out shopping!
Taria

Old July 30th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Mickie Swall wrote:

Leslie, if it has an elastic waist, maybe you could shorten it at the
waist
and not disturb the original hem.
Just a thought - I do my mom's skirts like this........
Mickie

This might be the best idea, especially if Leslie doesn't tuck in
her top. If the top is worn out and covers the waistband, any mistakes
will be hidden. Of course, if there are pockets in the skirt, forget
this option -- LOL! The only other potential problem is that if this is
a flared skirt and not a straight skirt, the circumference 15" down from
the current waist is liable to be too full.
This fabric is a P.I.T.A. to work on and you have to be very, VERY
careful that you don't put any tension on it at all when working with
it. Roberta's directions are really good for someone who is comfortable
doing similar stuff. So, Leslie, if you are at all apprehensive, take
the garment to a professional and have it altered. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 30th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Some great ideas here- thanks! The skirt has a slit about to my knee level,
so if I shorten it at the waist I will need to sew the slit shut- the slit
wouldn't be necessary at the length I *want* the skirt to be. But that's a
good idea rather than the hemline getting shortened. The hem is finished
with a serged edge and about a one inch hem. The skirt doesn't have
pockets, the waistline is elastic and the skirt isn't flared- just straight.
The jacket would cover the waistline area. And my little town doesn't have
a 'professional' that I can hire to do the hemming. I may go back to that
old high school trick of rolling the waistband- well, maybe not. I do NOT
need any more bulk around my middle! LOL

Old July 30th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You don't really have to consider pockets - just forget you ever had
them!
I have always found it easier to alter skirts at the waist (you can also
make the waist larger that way, by cutting off the existing waistband
and making it gathered, or pleated).

I was just thinking laterally, and wondering if one of the stabilising
'tricks' people sometimes use for T-shirt quilts might help here? How
would it be to fuse the finest interfacing you can find along the 'line'
where the hem will be (it doesn't have to be supremely accurate at stage
one), making sure it was deep enough to cover the cutting line. Mark
the hemline *very* carefully - with someone else's help (and if you do
get on a chair for this, for goodness' sake be careful g). If the
skirt is flared, or cut on the bias, I would opt for an 'almost nothing'
hem. A scant half inch would be my choice. Hemming by hand would be
good, too, having oversewn the cut edge.

Good luck - it might be tricky - but you're up for it, I'm sure.
..
In message , Tia Mary
writes
Mickie Swall wrote:

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

OT hemming trousers Anne Rogers[_2_] Quilting 16 June 18th 07 12:08 AM
overlocking or hemming silk velvet [email protected] Sewing 5 January 17th 06 03:36 PM
hemming a lined skirt/dress Siptah Sewing 4 April 6th 04 02:01 PM
Hemming suede pants? KatKaylor Sewing 7 March 4th 04 01:52 PM
Trouble hemming kids' pants Belindi Sewing 7 October 8th 03 02:14 PM