Vintage Knitting Book - How to find proper yarn

Old March 5th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MP

Default Vintage Knitting Book - How to find proper yarn

HI, Everyone,
I have a vintage knitting book with a pretty baby blanket that I'd
like to make. I'm guessing that the yarn they suggest might be renamed
by now. Can anyone help me to figure out what yarns might work...The
book is called Lovable Hand Knits for Infants to 4 years. They use
Bucilla, Bear, and Fleischer yarn.

Instructions are for Winsport and size 8 needles.

Added instructions are for WinTot, Winsom,, Softtex and WinKnit and
size 10 needles.

I think I'd like to use size 8.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Myrna

Old March 5th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Yarndex.com and search for yarns that knit up at the gauge(s)
specified in your pattern. You can narrow the search by fiber type.
Old March 5th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

MP wrote:
HI, Everyone,
I have a vintage knitting book with a pretty baby blanket that I'd
like to make. I'm guessing that the yarn they suggest might be renamed
by now. Can anyone help me to figure out what yarns might work...The
book is called Lovable Hand Knits for Infants to 4 years. They use
Bucilla, Bear, and Fleischer yarn.

Instructions are for Winsport and size 8 needles.

Added instructions are for WinTot, Winsom,, Softtex and WinKnit and
size 10 needles.

I think I'd like to use size 8.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Myrna

Here's a site that has yardages for older yarns; there's a page for each
weight - http://www.vintageknits.com/vintyarn1.html

sue
Old March 5th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Mar 6, 4:44 am, "MP" wrote:
by now. Can anyone help me to figure out what yarns might work...The
book is called Lovable Hand Knits for Infants to 4 years. They use
Bucilla, Bear, and Fleischer yarn.

It's all about the gague. You need to find a yarn that allows you to
knit at the specified tension.It sounds to me (given the needle size
(8) and the yarn specified (Winsport)) that you are after a double-
knit weight (Americans call this sportweight?) - about 14 wraps per
inch.

VP
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz

Old August 22nd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
kje514

kje514 had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/yarn/Vintage...yarn-8441-.htm
:
Hi,

We have the same knitting book. Did you ever figure out what yarn to use
for your pattern. I am Planning to make the blanket on page 10, number
3027 only I want to use the size 10 1/2 needles.

Thanks so much!
Kathie

-------------------------------------
MP wrote:

HI, Everyone,
I have a vintage knitting book with a pretty baby blanket that I'd
like to make. I'm guessing that the yarn they suggest might be renamed
by now. Can anyone help me to figure out what yarns might work...The
book is called Lovable Hand Knits for Infants to 4 years. They use
Bucilla, Bear, and Fleischer yarn.

Instructions are for Winsport and size 8 needles.

Added instructions are for WinTot, Winsom,, Softtex and WinKnit and
size 10 needles.

I think I'd like to use size 8.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Myrna

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.yarn - 13811 messages and counting!

Wicked Excited to Find a *Yarn* Newsgroup! Abigail Palmer Yarn 10 January 21st 07 10:46 AM
Exciting find and question about vintage machine silverbells Quilting 2 May 24th 06 04:08 AM
Yarn find BonnieBlue Yarn 2 December 18th 05 02:31 PM
Score with vintage fabric find!! joysjane Quilting 3 July 31st 05 04:14 AM
ebay: Vintage toy book, vintage knits for men etc Marilyn S. Safier Marketplace 0 October 28th 03 07:22 PM