Brother Disney SE-270D Sewing and embroidery

Old January 14th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

Default Brother Disney SE-270D Sewing and embroidery

I don't remember if I answered before; I don't think I did, so here goes.

I bought one 2 years ago and while I haven't used it a lot, I find it to be
adequate for what I need (quilt labels and such). I bought mine off ebay
too, and received with it around 40 spools of polyester embroidery thread
and PED-Basic software, which you will need in order to be able to download
different designs from the Internet and load them onto the card that comes
with the machine. I don't remember if it came in the box with the machine or
separately. There are a LOT of free designs on the web. I haven't had to buy
any yet.

The embroidery quality is good, but not fantastic -- not commercial-looking
by any means. A lot depends on how much care you take when putting your
fabric in the hoop. I haven't done any of the built-in designs, so I don't
know how good they are, but the built-in stitches are pretty good, and there
are a lot of them. You will need to use stabilizer; I use the iron-on,
tear-away stuff.

Things I don't like: the area around the needle seems crowded (small) to me,
but that could be just because I use my Juki TL98Q 95% of the time. Also,
there is no thread tension adjustment, which I thought was pretty weird. It
hasn't needed adjusting, but that's besides the point. The thread
cartridge system can be a pain, but it does thread the needle automatically,
which is good because, again, there isn't a lot of room down there. I also
wish it came with a walking foot. I don't know if I will use it

All in all, it is good enough for what I do with it. If I was going to do a
*lot* of embroidery or fancy stitches, or if I was going to use just one
machine for everything, it wouldn't be this one.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"Jacqueline in KY" quilter at mountain-breeze dot com wrote in message
I posted this to another topic the one two items I would really like
to have and only got one response. May be only one knows about this
machine. I would love to hear what others have to say about it and
also where I can get the thread for it, etc. I am at a lost as to the
thread and stuff.

I found a brother Disney embroidery machine on ebay at a reasonable
price, new, with warranty and all and I bought it. I hope it is a
decent machine, I do know that you can only do 4" embroidery or
smaller but I can't see me needing much more than that and to see if I
even like it, well, I can't beat the price. Anyone out there got one
of these it is the Brother Disney SE-270D Sewing and embroidery
machine?

Thanks so much for those that answer or did answer the first time.

Jacqueline in KY