Fishing Line For Stringing

Old June 11th 05, 07:28 AM
Jackdaw

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
What about Ester?

GROAN ! That was awful.
Clever but truly awful. 8¬)

--
Jackdaw collector of junk, trivia and bright twinkly things.
Foiled on http://www.jackdaw-crafts.net

Polly S. wrote:
Diana Curtis wrote:

Barbara, or may I call you Barb? Does the 6# test come in monofilament
as well as braided and if so which is the right stuff for seed bead
work?
Diana, you may call me Di ;-)

You're just so silly... {{{hugs}}}

Polly
just don't call me cracker!!!

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113

Old June 11th 05, 09:54 AM
Miracle Smith

Jackdaw wrote:
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
What about Ester?

GROAN ! That was awful.
Clever but truly awful. 8¬)

squeal of delight JACKDAW!!!!

Are you the very same Jackdaw from alt.crafts.professional?
I wonder about you often, and miss you, but the "ladies" in that
group are just intolerable to me.
Are you still carving? Where may I see your work? I have
long ago lost your link due to reformatting.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
^,,^ Miracle, in Yuma, Arizona, remember?

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old June 11th 05, 01:03 PM
Diana Curtis

If you think that one is good you will love the nickname a gal on RCTQ
wanted me to consider: Dina Sewer ...that gal's nickname is Polly Ester.
I cant claim credit for either but I am glad to pass along the pain.
Diana

Old June 11th 05, 10:59 PM
Jackdaw

"Miracle Smith" wrote in message
Jackdaw wrote:
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
What about Ester?

GROAN ! That was awful.
Clever but truly awful. 8¬)

squeal of delight JACKDAW!!!!

Are you the very same Jackdaw from alt.crafts.professional?
I wonder about you often, and miss you, but the "ladies" in that
group are just intolerable to me.
Are you still carving? Where may I see your work? I have
long ago lost your link due to reformatting.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
^,,^ Miracle, in Yuma, Arizona, remember?

Coo!! What a welcome. Yes it's me and I still do "carve". You can see my
work at
http://www.jackdaw-crafts.net
tho the site keeps changing as I tweak it. I have an exhibition of my
pictures in Birmingham this month. ( UK ) so I have my fingers crossed. I
lost a lot of my old addresses when my pooter crashed. Nice to hear from
you.

Old June 12th 05, 12:59 AM
Carla

Polly, are you using sandpaper chips or tumbling grit?

I still use the tumbler if I've got a lot of beads to do at once.
Lately, though, I only end up making like five-ten beads at a time. The
Tide stainbrushes take care of sanding those pretty quick work.

Cheers,
Carla

Polly S. wrote:
Diana Curtis wrote:

What about Ester?

hehehe as long as I don't have to wear it!!!

Oh! I finally started tumbling some beads!!! When I told vj, her
reaction was wonderful... I still laugh when I think about it. She did
not know you could tumble clay and responded accordingly... panicked and
horrified that I would try such a thing!!! It was sweet and priceless!

I also learned that timers do no good when you turn them off and then
ignore or don't reset them!!! No harm done, as it was just to remind
me to check them. Two hours later, when I remembered, they were good.
I'm doing a finer tumble tonight. This is time consuming but still
easier than hand sanding, and not as messy as I expected!!!

Old June 12th 05, 01:30 AM
Polly S.

Carla wrote:
Polly, are you using sandpaper chips or tumbling grit?

I still use the tumbler if I've got a lot of beads to do at once.
Lately, though, I only end up making like five-ten beads at a time. The
Tide stainbrushes take care of sanding those pretty quick work.

I tried using sandpaper chips (400 then 600) and saw little improvement
so I tried using the finer of the tumbling grits, even though I read
this would be messy. I've gone through 2 steps and am very happy... one
more step with polishing grit to see how far I can take them!

I was wondering about the Tide stainbrush... Doesn't it have a large
head on it? If so, isn't it hard to hang onto the beads. And assuming
you can change/modify it, how? and what do you use?

belated permission to pick your brain???

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old June 12th 05, 01:32 AM
Polly S.

Jackdaw wrote:

http://www.jackdaw-crafts.net
tho the site keeps changing as I tweak it. I have an exhibition of my
pictures in Birmingham this month. ( UK ) so I have my fingers crossed. I
lost a lot of my old addresses when my pooter crashed. Nice to hear from
you.

Beautiful work and a nice website there Jackdaw!!! I loved all your work
.... and it looks like the icons are small enough for pendants!!!

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old June 12th 05, 05:11 PM
Carla

I use the grit, too, even though I had read that it can get imbedded in
the surface of the clay. AFter polishing with polyurethane, though, I
kinda liked the texture-y feel. Now it depends on what I plan on doing
with the beads

Yeah, the stain brushes require some modification, but it's pretty
simple. The brushes snap off and underneath is a little plastic disc
that spins around. I put sticky velcro (hook side) on that, then cut
circles (about the size of a quarter) out of sanding sponges and put the
velcro (loop side) on that, and stick it to the brush handle. When the
sandpaper wears out, I cut out another circle and velcro it on.

I was lucky enough to catch them on sale, too, so I have four, for four
different grits; that way, I just go through the process with each brush
and don't have to change the sandpaper while I'm working.

I use this baking rack with pins (http://tinyurl.com/6cppo), and leave
the beads on the pins until I'm done with the sanding and buffing; makes
'em easy to hold on to.

Whew! That's a long post for a Sunday morning

Cheers,
Carla

Old June 18th 05, 07:52 AM
Miracle Smith

Jackdaw wrote:
Coo!! What a welcome. Yes it's me and I still do "carve". You can see
my work at
http://www.jackdaw-crafts.net
tho the site keeps changing as I tweak it. I have an exhibition of my
pictures in Birmingham this month. ( UK ) so I have my fingers
crossed. I lost a lot of my old addresses when my pooter crashed.
Nice to hear from you.

Oh my gosh- your work is better than ever! I'm sort of glad
I never got a Jasper picture, because your "Pussums" clock is
just too darling! I've got to look at everything there in a bit- you
really have some beautiful things.

I'm so glad you popped in here, and good luck in Birmingham
this month!!

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
^,,^ Miracle

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old June 18th 05, 09:17 PM
Fenrir Enterprises

Following up a little on the fishing line usage. I looked at Fireline,
but it seems to be somewhere between thread and wire. Knots well, but
can get kinked up if bent too much. It's probably better for seed bead
usage. I wound up buying some Stren Super Braid (40 lb strength/10 lb
diameter), which feels almost like cotton thread, knots extremely
well. It's too thick to use for seed beading, but I think for polymer
clay + assorted beads from E size on up, it will work quite well.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.