Baking Question

Old November 26th 03, 10:16 AM
Rachel

Default Baking Question

I've read about baking on styrofoam peanuts and other mediums but has
anyone tried baking on a silpak sheet? (a non-stick liner for baking
cookies and such.) I'd appreciate hearing suggestions on what is best
to bake PC on. I will be making figurines about 5-8" tall.

Also, how about baking in a toaster oven. Does that offer the same
results?

Thanks
Rachel
Old November 26th 03, 11:28 AM
SunsetStarWolf

Baking on styrofoam??? NEVER. Styrofoam is totally toxic, and not meant for
the oven!
I don't know what a silpak sheet is, but if youcan bake cookies on it, you can
probably bake/cure your PC on it, too. I use a cookie sheet lined with
parchment/baking paper. You can use fiberfill to cradle your figures on the
sheet as well... this helps keep thinner parts from sagging.
Unless you've got a really big toaster over, I wouldn't recommend one for
figures.... they'd get to close to the heating element, and that's a no-no.
Also, they tend to have temp surges and aren't as even-tempered (pun intended
as a regular oven, IMO.
Hope that helps.

(posted & emailed)

Old November 26th 03, 03:49 PM
Sjpolyclay

Also, how about baking in a toaster oven. Does that offer the same
results?

toaster ovens are convenient to carry around, but have a smaller cavity for
heating and are not very regular. Hot spots are common and you can burn the
tops of some pieces while the bottoms stay raw. If you want to use a toaster
oven, get a large one.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 27th 03, 03:04 AM
Irwin

Not STYROFOAM peanuts!!!!!
You probably heard of using the biodegradable peanuts (made from corn
starch or something) to cradle odd shaped pieces. These peanuts are
water-soluble and can me "molded" to conform to what you are baking.

I generally bake my pieces on glazed ceramic tiles, usually covered
with deli paper. Without the deli paper, the bottoms will often pick
up a shine from the tile, especially if is is glossy. You can get
cheap tiles at Home Depot, Lowes, or other similar store; they come in
a variety of sizes.
In addition, I think the tiles contribute to more even heating.

The downside of tiles is that they are heavy and break easily if
dropped.
I'm considering using mason board/hardboard; it's cheap, flat and
lightweight. If I can only figure out how to cut an 8'x4' slab into
small pieces!

I avoid cardboard or wood because those materials will warp, and metal
pans because they often are not completely flat.
These issues may not concern you, but for most of what I make - a lot
of boxes - I need absolutely flat bottoms.

Good luck.
Old December 2nd 03, 07:00 PM
DianeGlassAttic

Here's some info about non-stick surfaces from my Baking page ... not sure
exactly what Silpat is made from:

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Teflon sheets ...You can bake on them- and the clay will not stick to it. I'm
not sure of any advantages over other surfaces. Kathndolls

(If you use a cookie sheet alone). .. Be careful that your cookie sheet is not
that so called non stick material that is NOT teflon but a kind of shiny grey
coating. It does really NASTY things to polymer clay...like pitting it. With
flat objects like pendants and pins it doesn't matter, but with items that are
viewed from all sides, it's a disaster. kelly . .. . (or cover it with a sheet
of white paper)

Parchment paper is also used by many clayers, but some of the parchment papers
in the US come with a silicone coating. I only mention this because clay baked
on it has difficulty holding findings attached with glues and epoxies. Mostly
the recycled paper in the gourmet grocers will have this kind. Great for
cookies. Bad for jewelry. It took me a while to figure why my pin backs were
falling off after using the same stuff to attach them for 9 years. It was fine
when I just returned to baking on regular paper on my cookie sheet. It usually
says on the outside of the box that it is silicone treated. Cary

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com --polymer clay "encyclopedia"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . (don't use AOL address
!!!!!!!)