Things that move

Old June 14th 14, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

Default Things that move

Recently, I got am Amazon kindle, and every once in a while, I download
one of their free books. One of the books that I downloaded is called
"ABC Alphabet Books of Things That Move" by Aldona Hawthorne. First I
will list what she put for each letter, putting in my comments where I
have some:

A: Ambulance
B: Bus
C: Cable Car
D: Dump Truck
E: Electric Car
F: Fire Engine
G: Go Kart
H: Helicopter
I: Icebreaker
J: Jet plane
K: Kayak
L: Locomotive
M: Motorbike
N: Noah's Ark Despite my personal feelings about the bible and
specifically this story, it is the name of a specific ship out of
literature, and not a generic form of transportation as are (most) of the
rest of the items in this list, though I really can't think of anything
better.
O: Ocean Liner
P: Pickup Truck
Q: Quad Bike
R: Race Car
S: Scooter
T: Tractor
U: Underground Train
V: Van
W: Wind Turbine I personally would have chosen "wagon" here. Perhaps
Ms. Hawhorne did not choose "wagon" because they are not self powered,
but there are some types of wagons that are. Perhaps you could mount a
wind turbine on one and hook it up so that it is self-powered, though.
Perhaps she did not think "wagon" was "exotic" enough, though I really
dont think that dump trucks and tractors are all that exotic either.
X: eXcavator The book describes and eXcavator as "...a big and powerful
construction machine..." What they have pictured looks to me like a
backhoe. I think it is a bit of a stretch calling a backhoe an eXcavator,
though perhaps that is the common name in some parts of the world, and
using that word for the letter "X," but on the other hand, I can't think
of anything better.
Y: Yacht
Z: Zeppelin

Most of them are more or less generic forms of transportation, except for
the things I made some comments about. I think they would make a neat
alphabet quilt, not that I a planning to make one any time soon.

As for getting the pictures, I could print them from the book itself onto
cloth that has been treated with bubble jet set or something like that.
I am not certain how to print from a kindle, but I think that I could
work out that technical problem in some way. I also think that copyright
would only be an issue if I planned to mass produce it and sell it at
wherever, but since I would make just one for expecting parents, I don't
think that would be a problem.

I could also print pictures off the internet. That would eliminate the
technical problem as I already know how to print a picture off the
internet.

I suppose I could also figure out how to make pieced blocks that are
pictures of the various items, or perhaps there are patterns online for
the objects, at least some of them.

I just thought that this would be interesting.

Brian Christiansen

Old June 14th 14, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

I won't go through the whole list giving alternatives; but whyever did
she have to use a word with 'X' as the second letter, when Xylophone is
perfectly adequate?
I think it more likely that anyone would be more familiar with 'Z'ebra,
than 'Z'eppelin?
There were others I would challenge ... However, I suppose she wanted to
be different!
..
On 14/06/2014 13:34, Brian wrote:
Recently, I got am Amazon kindle, and every once in a while, I download
one of their free books. One of the books that I downloaded is called
"ABC Alphabet Books of Things That Move" by Aldona Hawthorne. First I
will list what she put for each letter, putting in my comments where I
have some:

snipped

Old June 14th 14, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 14:25:05 +0100, pat on the green wrote:

I won't go through the whole list giving alternatives; but whyever did
she have to use a word with 'X' as the second letter, when Xylophone is
perfectly adequate?
I think it more likely that anyone would be more familiar with 'Z'ebra,
than 'Z'eppelin?
There were others I would challenge ... However, I suppose she wanted to
be different!

As I said, using eXcavator for the letter X is a bit of a stretch, but I
also think it is the best she could think of to stay with the mode of
transportation/vehicle theme.

Even though Zeppelins are used for advertising (for example, the Goodyear
blimp) and you need to go quite a distance in to the past for them to be
methods of transportation, I happen to think it is perhaps the best and
most interesting choice in he book.

As I explained, I think the worst choice was "Wind turbine," especially
since there is a perfectly good word, "Wagon," for a vehicle/mode of
transportation that the name for does not have to be twisted to fit the
category, as in "eXcavator."

Brian Christiansen
Old June 15th 14, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

If you google "excavator images", you'll get a bunch of photos that look
pretty much like backhoes of various sizes.

On first glance, "wind turbine" seems out of place because the rest are,
for the most part, forms of transportation. But the title says "Things
That Move" & wind turbines definitely move. But I'm with you that
"wagon" would seem to be more in line with the rest of the items in the
list. A wagon is not self-powered, but neither are kayaks and scooters
(or for that matter, Noah's Ark).

Julia in MN

On 6/14/2014 7:34 AM, Brian wrote:
Recently, I got am Amazon kindle, and every once in a while, I download
one of their free books. One of the books that I downloaded is called
"ABC Alphabet Books of Things That Move" by Aldona Hawthorne. First I
will list what she put for each letter, putting in my comments where I
have some:

A: Ambulance
[...]

On the Move Again Butterflywings Quilting 24 November 16th 06 04:41 PM
OT on the move Taria Quilting 5 November 2nd 06 11:56 PM
The big move in (not OT) nana2b Quilting 3 September 29th 05 03:45 PM
things broken in move CNYstitcher Quilting 0 August 4th 05 11:59 PM
OT On the Move Again!! ConnieD. Quilting 20 January 31st 04 02:50 AM