Oils

Old April 13th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Oils

SteveB wrote:
I dug my Singer 111W155 out yesterday, and am pressing it into service.
When reading the manual, it has several lubricants listed, most of which
would probably be hard to find. I haven't looked yet at the sewing machine
or fabric stores.

Is there a big difference between oils, say like Singer, 3 in 1, Lucas gun
oil, etc? I know there's a big difference in oil and grease.

Steve

Yes, HUGE! Never use 3 in 1 on a sewing machine: it gums it up! I
occasionally use 3 in 1 Professional High Performance lubricant with
PTFE for freeing up stuck bits on rescued machines, but you then have to
clean it all off and lubricate with sewing machine oil once you have it
moving. The only other lubricant to use is sewing machine motor
lubricant/grease, which you use in Fetherweight motors and for
lubricating gears in some machines.

Only use oils and grease designed for sewing machines to lubricate them,
and clean out any hardened wax-like fossilized gunk FIRST!
Lubricate the points mentioned in the owner's manual, or in the service
manual for that particular machine.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old April 13th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:26:07 -0800, SteveB wrote:
Is there a big difference between oils, say like Singer, 3 in 1, Lucas gun
oil, etc? I know there's a big difference in oil and grease.

3 in 1 gums up after a while. I'd suggest sewing machine oil or Triflo for
a few applications -- it's a lot easier to use the right stuff than
cleaning out gummy oil and hardened grease.

Kay

Old April 14th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_6_]

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
[...]

OOPS. I went through it today, and there was a remarkably small amount of
"stuff" in there. It must have seen light use, or had been cleaned just
before retiring. There was very very little fluff, thread, dust bunnies, or
gook anywhere. I took my dental picks and gave it a good going over. But I
did add some 3 in 1 oil here and there. I will go back and use good oil
once I have some.

Is that something that a sewing machine shop would have? I know in Vegas
there's a GOOOD sewing machine shop where you can take just about anything
and the guy will go on and on about what needs to be done, how it works, and
what he's going to do. All I'm usually interested in is when I can get it
back. We've had sergers and several old good machines tuned up there. I'm
sure they'd have the oil. Now, we're in St. George, Utah, and I'm not so
sure there's an old time shop here.

Any suggestions about an Internet site where I can get needles, good stout
thread for outdoor awning use that has UV protection, and some oil and
lubricants?

Steve

Old April 14th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Sooner rather than later, or you will have that work and more to do all
over again.

Is that something that a sewing machine shop would have? I know in Vegas
there's a GOOOD sewing machine shop where you can take just about anything
and the guy will go on and on about what needs to be done, how it works, and
what he's going to do. All I'm usually interested in is when I can get it
back. We've had sergers and several old good machines tuned up there. I'm
sure they'd have the oil. Now, we're in St. George, Utah, and I'm not so
sure there's an old time shop here.

Anywhere you can buy haberdashery/notions/sewing machines should have
it. Otherwise there are lots of internet places. Look for an oiler
like this: http://www.craftmagazines.co.uk/acatalog/9038.jpg
It'll give you much more accurate single drop oiling than the more usual
plastic nozzle versions.

Any suggestions about an Internet site where I can get needles, good stout
thread for outdoor awning use that has UV protection, and some oil and
lubricants?

Not a store, but lots of good advice about outdoors sewing stuff,
including where to buy some of it:
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/default.asp

Old April 14th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:05:06 -0800, SteveB wrote:
did add some 3 in 1 oil here and there. I will go back and use good oil
once I have some.

Walmart carries sewing machine oil -- a couple ounces is a lifetime supply
for most; if you need it by the gallon, South Star has it that way.
Tri-flo is often available at bike shops, some chain hardware stores.

thread for outdoor awning use that has UV protection, and some oil and
lubricants?

http://www.beaconfabric.com Make sure the thread fits your machine... heavy
threads like upholstery nylon are too big for most.