Flex-I-Grit Sanding Film

Old November 30th 03, 05:30 AM
Irwin

Default Flex-I-Grit Sanding Film

Anyone familiar with Flex-I-Grit??
I need help identifying the sheets.

A (long) while ago, I bought a package of Flex-I-Grit sanding film,
made by K& Engineering Co. at Micro-Mark.

There are 5 sheets with grits from 23 micron down to .5 micron
(equivalent to 10,000 grit). They are made from silicon carbide,
aluminum oxide, cerium oxide and chromium oxide.

Problem is that I can't figure out which sheet is what grit!

The sheets are black, light gray-beige, beige, dark gray, green.
The package does say 23 ALO and 8 Sil & 23 Sil, so I figure the
Aluminum oxide is 23 micron grit and the Silicon carbide comes in two
grits.

But I still can't figure out what color is what material is what
fineness.
I think I can tell which is the roughest but cannot grade the others.
(Also, is there a difference in the 23 micron ALO and the 23 micron
Silicon carbide?)

I have a posting from 1996 about using sandpaper in tumblers that
mentions some industrial sandpaper and give the color coding, but
that doesn't match what I have.

The glass attic page on sanding alludes (I think) to these sanding
films but offers no info on what colors match what size.

BTW, I've searched Web sites - mostly hobby/model shops - that carry
Flex-I-Grit and none that I saw provide this information.
Also, I requested this info from K&S without any response. (I think
they figured that if I can't tell the difference between a sheet of
Aluminum oxide and Cerium Oxide, I'm not worth talking to.)

So... if anyone can help me out on this one, thanks.

--- Irwin

P.S. The sheets are not expensive; it's just that I really want to see
what sanding with the equivalent of 10,000 rit looks like!
Old December 1st 03, 03:10 PM
dawn

I'm surprised that the grit isn't written on the back of the sheets. Usually
that's where it's written.
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.html
om...

Old December 2nd 03, 03:01 AM
eliquint

Sorry Irwin I can't answer your questions, but it did raise a few of my own.
You might look to see if the mfg'er has a website, if so they should be able
to tell you more about their product.

What is "Flex-I-Grit"? I have never heard of it before. Is it better then
plain old automotive wet/dry sandpaper? Is it reusable or something?

eliquint

om...

Old December 4th 03, 10:58 PM
Irwin

Flex-I-Grit is a sanding film - flexible plastic backing with abrasive
particles glued on.
It's not necessarily better than good ol' automotive wet/dry
sandpaper, but it comes in finer grits. I think it may also last
longer than sandpaper.

If you want more information, check the product listing at
micromark.com.
The films I have are the microfine assortment. (The films come in
"regular" grits too).

Anyway, I did do some testing and figured out the "ranking" of the
films, although I don't know their actual grit equivalent. If anyone's
interested, I can email my findings.

BTW, I did look t K&S's Web site; I couldn't find the info I wanted,
and they did not respond to my email.

--- Irwin
Old December 5th 03, 02:53 AM
Robert Houghtaling

There are 5 sheets with grits from 23 micron down to .5 micron
(equivalent to 10,000 grit). They are made from silicon carbide,
aluminum oxide, cerium oxide and chromium oxide.

Problem is that I can't figure out which sheet is what grit!

I have had this problem with wet/dry sandpaper because the sheets only have
the grit number in a few places. If I have cut the sheet up into smaller
pieces the piece I want to use often doesn't have the grit number on it.
What I do now is write the grit number all over the back of each new sheet
with a waterproof pen. T
--
Robert Houghtaling Sculpture and Design
http://www.houghtalingsculpture.com