Blending Premo & Sculpey III

Old November 20th 03, 05:38 PM
Shannon

Default Blending Premo & Sculpey III

Hi all! Due to happy circumstances I have received a large quantity
of Sculpey III (large quantity = at least 150 2 oz. packages).

My preferred brand is Premo. However, this big pile of Sculpey III
just begs the question: how well does Sculpey blend with Premo? I'm
thinking especially about mixing in a bit of colored Sculpey into
Premo translucent, but also in all other color combinations as well?

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best proportions for
mixing these two clays while not sacrificing Premo's superior
durability and ease of use? Are we talking 50/50? Or three-quarters
Premo to one-quarter Sculpey? Or is it an even lower proportion?
I'm ready to do my own experiments but was wondering if anyone had
experience with it themselves.

I don't want to think that the Sculpey is completely unusable for my
purposes. I mean...that is a LOT Of clay and I'd hate to waste it!
So suggestions for its use other than blending it with Premo are more
than welcome!

Thanks for your time!
Old November 21st 03, 05:48 AM
Irwin

I have been mixing Premo and Sculpey III for a few years. I make a lot
of vessels and because they are done in several steps, I found that
Premo alone was too flexible during their construction.. Mixing in
Sculpey III gave the clay more rigidity while retaining most of
Premo's durability.

Most of my mixtures ar 50/50 but I am moving to a higher percentage of
Premo; the Sculpey III makes the raw clay too soft - canes distort
while slicing and clay is more impressionable to fingerprints and the
like.
I have some sheets and canes made from a 2/3 Premo - 1/3 Sculpey III,
and they seem to be easier to work with than the 50-50 mixtures.

BTW, I worked out formulations of Sculpey III combinations to match
several of the Premo colors. Email me if you're interested.

--- Irwin

Premo Co-op? Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 0 December 14th 04 04:34 PM
selling sculpey glennda Jewelry 5 December 21st 03 10:13 AM
Fimo soft, Premo etc Jan Ruhnow General Crafting 0 October 27th 03 04:44 PM
Sculpey Eraser Clay - one year later Irwin Polymer Clay 3 October 21st 03 09:06 PM
Could "Sculpey" poly clay form part of a waterblock? Ken Maltby Polymer Clay 1 August 13th 03 01:48 PM