Painting leather

Old October 24th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
Sandoz

Default Painting leather

I'm putting together a halloween costume and I need to know what the best
type of paint would be to use on a pair of leather boots. I was gonna
spay-paint them, but I have a feeling this will crack and look terrible
after a short while.

Is there a paint (I can get at Home Depot or Lowe's, etc.) that would cover
these and be semi-flexible?

Thanks.

Old October 25th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
Ron Davidson

Hi,

I've seen a lot of Western style painted belts. Belts need to be flexible
too, so I know the paint is out there.

I would try the craft stores in your area rather than home improvement
stores. Michael's is probably a good starting point.

I hope this helps...
...Ron

Home of RonzCrafts - Iris Folding and more.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ronzcrafts/

Old October 25th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
hapidaze7

On Oct 24, 10:24 am, "Sandoz" wrote:
I'm putting together a halloween costume and I need to know what the best
type of paint would be to use on a pair of leather boots. I was gonna
spay-paint them, but I have a feeling this will crack and look terrible
after a short while.

Is there a paint (I can get at Home Depot or Lowe's, etc.) that would cover
these and be semi-flexible?

Thanks.

To my surprise, acrylic paint seem to be the choice for this. You
have to prep the surface by applying a mixture of
paint and water. Then in the drying process, flex the leather a few
times to prevent it from cracking. I can imagine it'll still
crack in the long run, but by that time, you're probably ready for new
boots. ;-)) For more info, you can read this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_15424_paint-leather.html

Daisy