Pattern wanted: Magic Scarf Pattern, expandable version

Old May 31st 05, 09:22 PM
john smith

Default Pattern wanted: Magic Scarf Pattern, expandable version

Hi there
Just wanting to know if anyone has the pattern *which seems to be a
heavily guarded secret* for the Magic Scarf seen he
www.magicscarf.com

It expands and can be worn a number of ways....I am guessing that the
secret is in the stitch and yarn/s used...but have NO idea of what
either of them could be....your experience would be appreciated.

This is one thing that I have found the casting off:
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html

but it still doesn't seem quite 'right' so I have come to this n/g for
guidance.

Thanking you all
Rach

Old May 31st 05, 09:50 PM
Tante Jan

"john smith" wrote in message
Hi there
Just wanting to know if anyone has the pattern *which seems to be a
heavily guarded secret* for the Magic Scarf seen he
www.magicscarf.com

It expands and can be worn a number of ways....I am guessing that the
secret is in the stitch and yarn/s used...but have NO idea of what
either of them could be....your experience would be appreciated.

This is one thing that I have found the casting off:
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html

but it still doesn't seem quite 'right' so I have come to this n/g for
guidance.

Thanking you all
Rach

Clicking on the word "here" in the third line on
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html should take you to
http://www.knitlist.com/95gift/magic.htm which has instructions for making
the scarf.

--
Jan in MN

Old May 31st 05, 09:52 PM
john smith

Tante Jan wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message

[...]

thanks for that, but it just doesn't LOOK like the one I am
after...maybe a different yarn would make it look like it...also how do
I know the stretchy-ness of this scarf, as I would like to wear it as a
hood and shoulder warmer.....

Old May 31st 05, 10:00 PM
MRH

"john smith" wrote in message
Hi there
Just wanting to know if anyone has the pattern *which seems to be a
heavily guarded secret* for the Magic Scarf seen he
www.magicscarf.com

Hi back at you, and welcome to the newsgroup! ;o) I'm sorry, I don't have
the pattern for the scarf, but that is really pretty... I hope someone does
know where to find the pattern.

This is one thing that I have found the casting off:
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html

I could be wrong (wouldn't be my first time), but that just looks like a
tube scarf... and doesn't look like it could possibly change into the shawl
that is shown on the first URL.

Gemini

Old May 31st 05, 10:12 PM
Wooly

I've knitted 8 scarves using that nasty nylon eyelash yarn. Garter
stitch all the way. The scarves I made have a habit of stretching and
becoming very long and skinny when the ends are yanked. Pull the
edges out starting from the center and they get wider than the
original cast-on would suggest they're capable of doing. I think
garter stitch nylon eyelash would be a starting point for
experimentation.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:22:22 +1200, john smith
spewed forth :

Hi there
Just wanting to know if anyone has the pattern *which seems to be a
heavily guarded secret* for the Magic Scarf seen he
www.magicscarf.com

It expands and can be worn a number of ways....I am guessing that the
secret is in the stitch and yarn/s used...but have NO idea of what
either of them could be....your experience would be appreciated.

This is one thing that I have found the casting off:
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html

but it still doesn't seem quite 'right' so I have come to this n/g for
guidance.

Thanking you all
Rach

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old June 1st 05, 01:55 AM
suzee

john smith wrote:

Tante Jan wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message

[...]

Try the one on coats and clark's site here...
http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and...arn/LW1445.htm,
though I found a better way to cast off than they say. You can monkey
around with the size to figue out what works for you.

sue

Old June 1st 05, 01:59 AM
suzee

john smith wrote:

Tante Jan wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message

[...]

Forgot to mention... even with this pattern you could increase the
stitches per round and cut down on the length a little until you get the
size you want. Think of the pattern as a template and you make
adjustments as needed to get what you want.

sue

Old June 1st 05, 02:50 AM
Helen Halla Fleischer

When my LYS owner saw one, she did her knock-off using the shortest
available size 19 circulars and very few stitches, barely enough to reach
around the needle, though it does get easier after the first few rows
because of the stretchiness of these novelty yarns at such a loose gauge.
She used the invisible cast-on and a very loose bind-off, with an M1
between each stitch that was immediately bound off.

| On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:12:26 GMT, Wooly wrote:

I've knitted 8 scarves using that nasty nylon eyelash yarn. Garter
stitch all the way. The scarves I made have a habit of stretching and
becoming very long and skinny when the ends are yanked. Pull the
edges out starting from the center and they get wider than the
original cast-on would suggest they're capable of doing. I think
garter stitch nylon eyelash would be a starting point for
experimentation.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:22:22 +1200, john smith
spewed forth :

Hi there
Just wanting to know if anyone has the pattern *which seems to be a
heavily guarded secret* for the Magic Scarf seen he
www.magicscarf.com

It expands and can be worn a number of ways....I am guessing that the
secret is in the stitch and yarn/s used...but have NO idea of what
either of them could be....your experience would be appreciated.

This is one thing that I have found the casting off:
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html

but it still doesn't seem quite 'right' so I have come to this n/g for
guidance.

Thanking you all
Rach

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old June 1st 05, 03:07 AM
Bill & Beth

Here is another pattern:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and...arn/LW1445.htm

and some and some info I found:

FREE PATTERN......MAGIC SCARF!

Wear this amazingly soft and stretchy cowl over your shoulders, around your
neck or over your head. After playing with it for just a little while you'll
find many exciting possibilities. Instructions: Cast on (very loosely) 68
stitches on size 11 24" circular needles. (You may want to cast on to
needles two sizes larger to make sure it is loose enough.) Knit in the round
to desired length. 2 balls will make a scarf approximately 35" long
unstretched (approx. 41" long stretched). 3 balls will make a scarf
approximately 53" long unstretched (approx. 62" long stretched). To retain
the horizontal stretchiness of the scarf, do not bind off. Instead, cut the
yarn leaving a 3 yard tail. Thread this tail on a tapestry needle and slide
the stitches off the knitting needle onto the tapestry needle, to be held by
the yarn tail. Once all the stitches are on the yarn tail, stretch the scarf
opening as far as it will go, and tie off the tail to the first stitch.
Rather unconventional, but it works!

Beth

Old June 1st 05, 07:11 AM
oldstuff

thank you so much!!!!! that looks like the one I am looking for!!!!

Bill & Beth wrote:
Here is another pattern:

[...]

WANTED: Dusting Fairie XS pattern Diane Hare Marketplace 0 June 7th 04 08:14 PM
Baby Pattern Wanted Shannon Machine Knit 7 April 26th 04 11:34 AM
Wanted: Vogue pattern 7507 molly dre. Marketplace 0 February 22nd 04 03:18 PM
Pattern wanted Al McClure Glass 1 August 14th 03 03:09 PM
Pattern wanted - bee suncatcher Gail Sperling Glass 0 July 25th 03 06:15 PM