How would you finish this off ?

Old November 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Dee in Oz

Default How would you finish this off ?

I purchased this unfinished quilt top on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MEWN:IT

but I am not sure how to finish it as I only have 2 more of the back
ground green hexagons.

The colours are much nicer then they appear in the photo and because
of the age of the quilt I doubt that I would come close to matching
it.

Do I rearrange the green that I have and purchase more similar
background fabric so I can create a 'border' type effect of the
background or what.
Does this make sense???

Dee in Oz
Old November 12th 04, 01:31 AM
Julia Altshuler

Could you just baste it and bind it the way it is? I ask because I love
the shape without doing another thing to it. Who says quilts have to be
square or rectangular?

I'm not sure how to do the irregular binding so maybe I'm jumping the
gun, but I have seen quilts with non-straight bindings so I know it can
be done.

--Lia

Old November 12th 04, 02:09 AM
Kathy

You could also just applique the unit to another whole foundation fabric. i
did this with a full size GFG, and it looks great.

After the appique is done, you can trim away the foundation inside the seam
allowance from the back of the piece. This is especially helpful if you are
going to handquilt, as you will have one less layer to quilt through.

Kathy

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"

Old November 12th 04, 03:12 PM
Patti

Hullo Dee
I've been thinking about this since this morning. The solution I have
come to is *very* much a *me* solution! You may not like it at all (I
won't be offended g).
What I would do is decide on the shape I want it to end up at. I would
then move some of the pieces around until I had a regular hexagon (or
other) shape. Then I would appliqué this to 'borders' which would make
it the final shape I wanted - another, larger hexagon; a diamond; a
square - whatever. I would have to regularise the feature part, that's
all. (I know I'm boring!)
..
In article , Dee in Oz
writes
I purchased this unfinished quilt top on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=8138960150&ss
PageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 12th 04, 09:28 PM
Dee in Oz

I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I have just added a couple more
flowers to fill in the gaps. this has made it a little 'squarer' and
more useable, as I felt it was a bit 'long and skinny'. It will
probably end up being used as a small lap quilt. Some of the stitching
is a lot bigger than I tend to do and very noticable

Dee in Oz

Old November 12th 04, 09:45 PM
Kathryn Walker

I thought it was just me being odd but I like it the way it is, too.
I'd just find a way to finish it off and hang it on the wall. I really
like the colors.

Kathryn in Mi

Old November 13th 04, 02:45 PM
Roberta Zollner

In that case, it's probably about big enough. If you have it up to some more
or less regular shape that pleases you, I'd do as Patti suggests and
appliqué regular borders under the edges, then quilt and bind as a
rectangle.
Roberta in D

om...

Old November 14th 04, 12:48 AM
Dee in Oz

Thanks for the ideas. I have laid it out on the floor for the time
being, printed out your ideas and am waiting for it to talk to me.

I have some leftover flowers that I will applique onto background
fabric and make cushion covers for gifts

Thanks
Dee in Oz
Old November 14th 04, 09:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Dee:
Here's an idea: just leave the finished portion as is, in
the amoebae shape; add some complimentary but different
colored units all around, to bring out to correct size.
Colors to consider: dark teal instead of green paths,
assorted colors for the flower parts. Clear as mud?
PAT in VA/USA