Another Baby Quilt gone unappreciated?

Old July 15th 03, 01:05 AM
teleflora

Default Another Baby Quilt gone unappreciated?

Remember poor Shelly and her neighbor's treatment of the baby quilt?? Well
my situation is similar, the difference is that I'm pretty sure I am going
to have to do something, I just don't know what. (man, I violated most of
those grammar rules with THAT sentence)

One of my best friends lives in a city 3 hours away. I speak with her
frequently by phone. Her daughter lives in a city in another part of our
state so it's not like my friend sees her every day or anything.

Ok, 3 weeks ago, I finished my very first quilt. It was nothing fancy, I
didn't do any hand work on it or anything. I just really wanted to do
something nice for my friend's first grandbaby. I didn't tell her about it
while I was making it, I wanted it to be a surprise. And it was a really
cute pastel green and yellow 9-block. I enjoyed making it.

So, I boxed up this quilt and sent it off to the new baby with a note
telling her who I was (I have met the mom, briefly). I explained that this
was not an heirloom or anything and that it was a quilt to be used and
abused.

It will be 3 weeks Wednesday that I mailed it and I haven't heard a thing.
Not from the parents and not from my friend. And it's just really not like
them. They acknowledged their wedding gifts 2 years ago really fast. And I
haven't spoken with my friend since I sent the quilt, so what if something's
wrong with somebody??? I dread having to ask about it because it will be
sure to cause embarrassment all around. I know how stressful it is with a
newborn in the house. But I am going to have to know whether they received
it or not. I insured the package although how can you insure a quilt????
You can't put a dollar amount on it.

So how much longer do you think I should wait? And should I call my friend
and ask her first? God, I hate these situations.

Thanks, guys, I value your opinions and I know you got 'em.

Cindy

Old July 15th 03, 01:14 AM
frood

I would call your friend and ask. Three weeks is no time at all with a
newborn in the house. It's hard enough to remember to shower, let alone
acknowledge gifts. Wedding presents are different - you aren't usually so
sleep-deprived after you get married. :-)

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
.. .

Old July 15th 03, 01:18 AM
Nana2B

I had a similar situation 5 years ago. My best friend's niece (who we fed
and diapered when she was a baby) had a baby girl. I made a framed cross
stitch announcement. My friend gave me the address and I sent it. I never
heard one word from her. My friend was very embarrassed at the bad manners.
Now I never spend that much time on anything unless I am sure it will be
appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I do not need feet kissing, just a nice
thank you sufficient. I realy does hurt though. Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
Texas

Old July 15th 03, 01:24 AM
AliceW

Cindy, drop them a short note asking how the baby is doing and would they
mind taking a picture of the baby on the quilt you sent so you can post it
on your website or add it to your quilting album or something like that.
That way you'll find out if they received it without putting them in an
awkward position if they feel badly for not acknowledging the gift.

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

.. .

Old July 15th 03, 04:12 AM
Sharon Harper

Ring her and see how she's doing. Then casually ask if she received the
package you sent her. That should ease some of the embarassment.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
.. .

Old July 15th 03, 08:02 AM
Kate Dicey

teleflora wrote:

[...]

If you insured it, does that make it trackable? Try tracing it first -
it may be 'missing in post'! If it doesn't appear to be missing, then
ask your friend.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 15th 03, 09:34 AM
Roberta Zollner

We place entirely too much trust in the post office. I recently sent a
squishie to someone and didn't hear anything for quite a while. So with
trembling fingers, I sent her an email to ask if it had arrived. And it
hadn't! How would we have ever cleared that up if I couldn't have brought
myself to ask the embarrassing question? A couple of days later, the errant
squishie returned to me, so it was OK in the end. But your package might be
lost in the postal black hole -it happens!
Roberta in D

.. .

Old July 15th 03, 06:52 PM
Butterfly

If it helps any--I am STILL waiting for the Christmas Envelope that my
Mom sent from MI to CA 2001 (no the $20.00 check has NOT been cashed--so
it is STILL floating out there somewhere in this great big world--if'n
the PO would have opened it--they would have found both her and my addys
inside)

A S K

just simply ask--so it might 'ruin the initial surprise' but it really
does NOT.....
the person on the receiving end will be mightily pleased that you
thought enuf of them to SEND them something....and you won't be left
wondering if they ever received it ; )

And those of you that HAVE received but do NOT know who sent it--a quick
note on the NG--saying """"I was squished but there was NO return
addy/email addy""""--that IS acceptable here.
some of us use stick on addys/return addys --saves the finger cramps
from holding a pen and the stick-ons DO fall off during transit...so I
now put a bit of scotch tape over them : )((Thanks to the fella at the
local PO ; )
HTH
Butterfly

Roberta Zollner wrote:
We place entirely too much trust in the post office. I recently sent a
squishie to someone and didn't hear anything for quite a while. So with
trembling fingers, I sent her an email to ask if it had arrived. And it
hadn't! How would we have ever cleared that up if I couldn't have brought
myself to ask the embarrassing question? A couple of days later, the errant
squishie returned to me, so it was OK in the end. But your package might be
lost in the postal black hole -it happens!
Roberta in D

.. .

Old July 15th 03, 09:51 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:52:16 GMT, Butterfly
wrote:

the person on the receiving end will be mightily pleased that you
thought enuf of them to SEND them something....

Wasn't she just!!!

Suzie B
(glad to have made someone's day!)
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old July 16th 03, 12:40 AM
Tara Henderson

I'm glad you did finally get a thank you, but in response to all the
suggestions people gave to how to approach the issue, I must say that
calling up a family with a new born baby and wasting their time
transparently fishing for thank yous is a million billion JILLION
times tackier than simply being late with a thank you in the first
place!!!!!! The whole point of gifts is cheerful generosity, no
strings attached...once the gift is given the ball is in the other
person's court. Trying to coax acknowledgement out of people just
makes you look graceless and self-centered.