Q about auctioning Ornament collection

Old June 22nd 04, 08:09 PM
Sherry Bailey

Nobody was in the least condescending. The reply was succinct and
accurate. Not everybody feels the need to couch everything in smiley
faces and cute comments to express friendliness, and doing without
them is certainly not smug and condescending.

Also, not everybody does know about selling old magazines -- Ornament,
which is pricey to start with and has historical value to artists on
many levels, is a good example of one that can be resold, and if in a
complete run for several years, maybe even for close to the cover
price. (This would be to a collector who missed those issues or a
library that needs them to fill out a collection, mostly.) Sunset (or
more commonly, National Geographic) are examples of titles that might
not have salability -- too common, too easy to get. (However, never
hurts to try!)

I am a librarian. I once sold (to a commercial resale vendor) back
issue computer magazines and some other kinds for $10,000. (Of course,
the original subscription prices of a few of them were $300 PER ISSUE
($1200 per year, quarterly) so it's not so exciting as it seems!)
People want to donate old magazines to us (in my current library) all
the time (especially National Geographics) but we don't have a use for
them, and in the end we'd have to pay a tipping fee at the dump to get
rid of them. Nobody here has the time or resources to try to deal them
on Ebay.

If I were trying to sell back issues of Ornament I would suggest
bundling them by year. You could ask at a public library for referrals
to a commercial vendor like I used, and they would make you an offer
based on the run of issues available -- and pay shipping. Or use Ebay.

Sherry Bailey
Old June 22nd 04, 10:41 PM
Moonraker

"Sherry Bailey" wrote in message
om...
Nobody was in the least condescending. The reply was succinct and
accurate. Not everybody feels the need to couch everything in smiley
faces and cute comments to express friendliness, and doing without
them is certainly not smug and condescending.

Apparently you neglected to read the final word in the reply.

"Jeez" doesn't sound condescending to you? it was unnecesary, and implied
that the questioner was some sort of an idiot for asking the question. The
reply was succinct and accurate, it was just the snotty after-thought
comment that rubbed me the wrong way.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:38 AM
Kandice Seeber

Well, I apologized, didn't I? Is that not good enough? I apologized nicely,
felt bad about it for a couple of hours, then come back to see that people
have completely ignored that and continued on arguing about whether I was
being snotty. *sigh*

You know what? I really can't do this anymore. I don't have the emotional
energy to try and please everyone all the time. People want to be ****ed
off at me? That's fine. I don't have the energy to try and fix that.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old June 23rd 04, 02:54 AM
starlia

I love you Kandice no matter what. Isn't that what family does?

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old June 23rd 04, 08:12 AM
Kalera Stratton

And I guess deciding to pick a fight over someone saying something not
particularly important to someone else is just "you".

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Moonraker wrote:
Nonsense. She apparently didn't know about spamcop, and was surprised
there was a market for old magazines.

You act(ed) like she was a total idiot for not knowing these two things,
and asking legitimate questions.

You came across as smug, condescending, and above it all. But I guess
that's just "you".

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message

Not considering her reply to the original post.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Spamcop.com provides email addresses that filter out spam. And people

do

pay for old, back issues of magazines - on ebay and other auction

places.

Jeez.

Jeez?

Tad bit condescending, don'tcha think?

Old June 23rd 04, 08:16 AM
Kalera Stratton

Well, Kandice, I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I certainly
have, that the person to whom you actually *said* "geez" (Wow, I didn't
know that was such a world-shaking insult these days! It's like the
"******" of the 21st century!) didn't seem to notice OR care.

Probably because it was so minor, so trivial, that IF they noticed, they
probably brushed it off with a "whatever" and went their merry way.

FOR ANYONE ABOUT TO GET ALL UPSET THAT I DARED USE THE "N" WORD: I *am*
one, so go stick it.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old June 23rd 04, 12:37 PM
BigMoFo

It's like the
"******" of the 21st century!)
FOR ANYONE ABOUT TO GET ALL UPSET THAT I DARED USE THE "N" WORD: I *am*
one,

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

YOU *am* one what??? That sho look like a f*** in' white girl on that web
site? Where do you get off with that stuff?
This whole thread degraded from step one, and now you pull that crap, if you
are gonna lie, at least cover your tracks better than that. Use the N word,
even if you were a sister, you'd know better and have more class than to
throw it on a NG.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:48 PM
Moonraker

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

FOR ANYONE ABOUT TO GET ALL UPSET THAT I DARED USE THE "N" WORD: I *am*
one, so go stick it.

-Kalera

Well.....that'd be a step up from the trailer trash you so obviously are.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:50 PM
Kandice Seeber

:-O Was that even called for? What's your problem, anyway?

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs