Pasta machine question

Old May 30th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Pasta machine question

When I use my pasta machine to make a striped cane, first making sheets
of color then stacking them, when I run a stack of four through the
pasta machine the sheets seperate at the top and crawl off in opposite
directions like a Y. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Seems to happen no
matter how together they are when I start. Should I just try harder to
hold onto the end as I put the clay through?

Ingrid

Old May 30th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

A couple of things could be wrong..

Your rollers could be misaligned.
Your tension spring could be off.
The handle may not be inserted fully into the machine and you are not
exerting even tension across the rollers (I have this issue).

Barbara

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.

Old May 31st 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Thanks. How would I tell if it's the spring? I didn't know that the
handle position mattered. Since I can't clamp the machine to my work
surface I am usually using all four of my hands plus telekinetic powers
to keep it from walking off my desk ;-) while I'm working. I'll try to
pay more attention to that now I know it matters.

Ingrid

Old May 31st 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

You'd need to strip down and clean the machine to see if the spring is
off.

Why can't you clamp the machine down to the surface? This could also be
the reason why you are having problems. If your surface is too thick to
use the supplied pasta machine clamp, just go to Home Depot (or
whereever) and get 2-3 large C clamps. Those are more secure, anyways.

B.

Old June 1st 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

It's the way my desk I'm working on is built. They sort of 45 degree
bevel angled the only edge that's sticking out to clamp anything to. I
need to get new furniture but it's not in the budget right now.

Old June 1st 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

It's the way my desk I'm working on is built. They sort of 45 degree bevel
angled the only edge that's sticking out to clamp anything to. I need to
get new furniture but it's not in the budget right now.

I would recommend that you get a piece of 3/4" plywood or MDF that would fit
on your desk. The 3/4" is heavy enough that you wouldn't have to clamp the
sheet to the desk. You could either clamp the pasta machine to this (make
sure the sheet extends at least 1" beyond the edge of your desk if you clamp
the machine) or drill holes through the base and screw the machine to the
board permanently, which is my choice. If you have a Home Depot or Lowes
near you, a 2' x 4' sheet can be picked up for less than $10 and they will
cut the sheet to your dimensions either for free (generally up to 2 cuts) or
for chump change (like 25 cents a cut.) By attaching the pasta machine to
the sheet permanently, you will avoid any chance of the machine "walking".

I would also recommend to you or anyone else that if you can swing between
$50 and $90 for a motor for their pasta machine...do it! You may even find
it for less on eBay. I use polymer clay to create the worlds that inhabit
my snowglobes. It use to take me the same amount of time to condition and
prepare my clay as it did to do the actual sculpting! Since I purchased a
motor for my machine, I actually have time for a life! LOL

Old June 5th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

That's a great idea! Thanks!

Ingrid

FlameNwind wrote:

I would recommend that you get a piece of 3/4" plywood or MDF that would fit
on your desk. By attaching the pasta machine to
the sheet permanently, you will avoid any chance of the machine "walking".

sewing machinery sewing machinery Machine Knit 0 March 22nd 06 08:06 AM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 22nd 06 08:02 AM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 21st 06 01:56 PM
FAQ for RCTQ Dec 2005 frood Quilting 6 December 8th 05 01:30 AM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 12:28 PM