Help with flowers

Old March 28th 05, 09:26 PM
Cindy Schoepp

Default Help with flowers

I love the look of sculptured flowers, but haven't been able to find a
tutorial that will give me the basics to start. I have made some, with just
my base knowledge, and that is what they look like :S!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cindy
www.uniquecreationsbycindy.ca

Old March 29th 05, 12:14 AM
susiegibson

do a http://www.mamma.com search for the type of sculptured flowers you are
thinking of, and then be specific as to whether you want classes or free
lessons ect, you will come up with some for cake decorating polyclay ect....
hope it helps. smiles, susie g

--

susie gibson

http://www.reachone.com/sgibson/

Old March 29th 05, 01:05 AM
Glitzy Glass

Hey Cindy - here is a simple way to make one.

Prep - Petals

Take your glass rod (this is the color you will use for the petal) heat
in torch - get the tip to about the size of a dime. Now take your
mashers and press the ball until it looks like a lollipop, once you
have the lollipop gently pull it away from the rod so it is still
attached but has a thin end. Put it in your kiln with the bottom half
sticking out of the door - make three more just like the first. This
is a four petal simple flower. Now let your flower petals stay warm in
the kiln. Make sure your "petals don't touch any debris in the kiln -
put in a rest or a bit of tin foil (be sure to take the tin foil out
before ramping up to anneal - I keep my kiln at about 800 degrees to
keep the petals warm. Make about three extra petals - just in case you
shock one or two.

** You can also detach the petals and use a hot plate - but I found it
a pain in the neck to try and pick up the petals and attach them - it
was easier for me to just keep them attached to the rod.

1. Make a small barrel - wrap glass around about six times for a
smallish flower or eight for a larger one.

2. Put glass in the center of the barrel - now round out - try to
make this a really round bead (don't worry about puckering the ends)

***If you have a different way to make a round bead then use that -
this is just for reference.

3. Once round - take a masher and gently squish the bead flat - until
it is a round disk - not too thin though! If you do squeeze to hard
just reheat a bit and it will fatten up.

4. In the center of the flattened disk place a dot - melt it in
slightly - but keep it raised - this is your flower center and gives
you a reference point. Don't worry about decorating the center until
later.

5. While holding your disk bead below the flame in one hand to keep it
warm - grasp the cool end of your rod/petal with the other and remove
it from the kiln- now bring that slowly into the flame. Now you have
your petal and your bead base both in the warm part of the flame - NOT
molten.

6. Really heat the tip of your petal and let it "drip" a bit - now
gently put it up against the raised center dot of the disk bead and
pull away. Petal one is attached. Do this three more times. Now
gently heat the entire flower and bead - make sure your petal
connections are tight - not just sitting on the top of your base - or
your petals will fall off eventually. The trick here is to heat and
attach without blending all your petals together - go slow!!

7. Now don't be alarmed - all that petal attaching has probally
distored your raised center dot a bit, and fattened up your petals too
- you can remash them on the base if they get to fat and you will be
adding more glass later to the center- for now - gently heat all your
petals and shape them as you like. Let them rest upon each other for
strength and fuse a bit, but don't melt them all the way into each
other.

8. Once you get your petals shaped the way you like. Go back to the
center and add more glass to bring the center to a nice round shape.
Add little decorations to your center or leave it as is - that is up to
you.

9. Check your base bead and petals for chill marks and gently heat any
out.

If you want you can also add other colors to your base petal and rake
it out and reshape. Or you can decorate your rod first, melt it and
then mash your colored petal and put it in the kiln.

I hope this helps a bit - I tried to take pictures - but it was
impossible because I didn't have anyone to hold the camera!

Denise
Glitzy Glass Studio