Sharp Eyed rcty pix viewers

Old October 31st 03, 03:03 PM

Default Sharp Eyed rcty pix viewers

I'm laughing out loud at all the sharp-eyed spinners who immediately noticed that the treadle-plate on my wheel is apparently 'MIA (missing in action)
... YES... it IS!
It 'was' 3/8 inch mahogany plywood, and Don couldn't STAND it... so... he is getting some nice wood and going to make a treadle-plate much like the cast iron ones
that are on the old treadle sewing machines...
He intends to use the scroll-saw, and either:
a. scroll out my initials (NMJ)
b. scroll out NK for Noreen's Knit*che
or
c. scroll out the full word: Knit*che
So, there you have it! When it's done, I'll put up new pix!
Hugs,
Noreen

strip *tease* to email me

Old October 31st 03, 03:48 PM
SlinkyToy

Heh, I'm trying to find some 3/8" white oak planking that doesn't cost
an arm and a leg, so I can repair the treadle on my big Saxony. I
need to pull out the hand-forged square nails and straighten them, add
one slat and reattach the other. Apparently the spinners of yore had
smaller feet than I do, as the remaining of the two original treadle
plates is positioned on the footman such that it's only 8" long - my
foot is a sight bigger than that!

Old October 31st 03, 05:59 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
Heh, I'm trying to find some 3/8" white oak planking that doesn't cost
an arm and a leg, so I can repair the treadle on my big Saxony. I
need to pull out the hand-forged square nails and straighten them, add
one slat and reattach the other. Apparently the spinners of yore had
smaller feet than I do, as the remaining of the two original treadle
plates is positioned on the footman such that it's only 8" long - my
foot is a sight bigger than that!

Women DID have smaller feet in days of old, and feet have been getting
bigger and bigger, I'd have to agree there!
(I look at my one nephew, who is only 3 inches TALLER than Don, but is
wearing a size 15 1/2 shoe!! Don wears a 10! Even my ex-bro-in-law,
Larry, who is Jason's (nephew) Dad ... he's 6'4" (inch shorter than his
son, two inches bigger than Don) wears an 11 1/2 !!!
My mom wore a size 5 1/2 till she had kids, then she jumped to a 7 1/2
wide.
Anyway, my point WAS, before I got rambling, is that feet HAVE gotten LOTS
bigger.
Regarding white oak.... Lowes and Home Depot are TERRIBLE for finding good
craft wood.... I MISS "MENARDS" !!!
Good Luck... Don's out looking for something for mine right now.... I WISH
we could find antique Chestnut, it's one of my favorite woods, and being
that my wheel has at least 4 other woods in it, it'd be fun to add one
more!
Hugs,
Noreen

---

Old November 1st 03, 06:40 PM
Agres

Try your local flooring contractors - they will have scraps that they might
sell you inexpensivly if you tell them a good story about keeping the tools
of your trade in operation.

Aaron

Old November 2nd 03, 02:05 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Agres" wrote in message
y.com...
Try your local flooring contractors - they will have scraps that they

might
sell you inexpensivly if you tell them a good story about keeping the

tools
of your trade in operation.

Aaron

Oooooh! Thanks, Aaron! I just told Don, as he didn't find what he was
looking for the other day when he went 'shopping'.....
Hugs,
Noreen

---

Old November 3rd 03, 11:06 PM
Claire

If there are any furniture makers around your area you could try asking them
too- I did a wood carving course a couple of years ago and all the students
recieved heaps of scrap wood (mahogany, beech, maple and even rosewood) from
the cabinet makers in the area - they have so many small scraps from their
workshop that they give them away for people to use in their fireplaces!
Some of them are the size of two shoeboxes stuck together- but no use if you
are making chairs! When I had a chat to the carpenter he also offered
wood-shavings for my friend's pets- free if she would like to come and
collect a sackful or ten!

Claire

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message

y.com...