Bead Embroidery for Kids?

Old July 8th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Default Bead Embroidery for Kids?

I've been asked about teaching for an arts program that my daughter's in.
This year, they will be studying the Medieval time period, so I was going to
teach some chain maille. The only thing I find that seems to sort of fit
the time period with beadwork is bead embroidery. I can't think of an easy
project for kids (ages 11-15) , so I could just do any ol' project because
it doesn't HAVE to fit the time period, but they usually try to have the
elective classes relate to the time period they're studying.

Any ideas? Bead embroidery sounds too difficult for most kids. My bead
history isn't that good to come up with something else.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 8th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I would say that bead embroidery would not fit the time period. I think
regular embroidery, especially crewel, would. The stitches are fairly
easy and the yarn and needles are larger than traditional embroidery
floss and needles.

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Old July 9th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Hmmmmmm, I was looking at websites, and found some like this:

http://old.medievalbeads.com/notes.shtml

It seems like some old beadwork may be from Germany in the Middle Ages.

I was hoping to find something that would make a good kid's project, but I
think I'm in over my head. I need to talk to my friend who has a Master's
in History, but since he's a guy, he's probably not going to be able to help
me with jewelry quesitons. Lol.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 9th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Zk

Maybe try a search for Medieval or Middle Ages jewelry rather than just
beadwork.

I found this page, Medieval Jewelry, at Central European University. It
describes different types of adornment from buttons and brooches to rings,
necklaces and hair adornment.
http://www.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/SRM/types.htm

And this page, Gallery of Renaissance Portraits (including 1400s, 1500s and
1600s) shows different types and styles of jewelry.
http://www.illusionjewels.com/renais...itgallery.html

And there was a neat netted bag at the old.medievalbeads site you had in a
later post.
http://old.medievalbeads.com/docs/it...th-netbag.html

Looks like a fun project. When my oldest son was studying the Middle Ages,
they chose a guild to work in and he chose pottery. So I helped the kids in
his group design and make bas relief clay tiles.
--
KathyZ

Old July 9th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Kids that age can use a needle I'd think. Use 6's or something for the
beads. You could have them embroider one of those sheer bags that beads
often come in from artists. That, I think, would fit into the medieval theme
of things.

They could make jester hats out of felt (with beads embroidered on?). With a
little thought you could come up with a pattern, or find one online I bet.
Felt can be hand sewn (when I was a teen I used to make hats out of felt, so
BTDT).

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti

Old July 9th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Thanks, Kathy!

I really like the netted bag, but it might be too much for the kids. We did
Egyptian collars last year, and some of the finished and a few of them
didn't. Some of the kids REALLY got into it. It was fun.

I also taught a wire class and those kids did great! The only kids had had
problems with were two mall-rat types. You could tell they were just raised
to be pretty and helpless to get people to do things for them. (They were
sisters.)

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 9th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

I like the bag idea.

Do you still have any of your hats?

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 9th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Hmm, maybe an Alms Purse?

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 9th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Here's a nice article on all styles of jewelry from the Medieval period...
maybe while you're reading it, it might give you some ideas:
http://neurolanis.tripod.com/id20.html

"Children had their own types of jewelry. References to children’s jewelry
are quite early. Both noble families and wealthy bourgeoisie decorated
children with brooches, chaplets, girdles. These were similar in fashion to
those worn by the adults, if only cheaper and smaller in size. In Italy in
the fourteenth century it was customary to give new-born babies crosses or
pieces of coral to be worn round the neck, even more for the protection of
the infant than as a decoration. The Child can be seen wearing a coral of
this like in a number of quattrocento paintings of the Virgin and the
Child." Maybe have the kids make a simple chain necklace with a piece of
coral hanging down?

This link to a woman's old website shows a pic of the August/Sept 2004 Bead
& Button magazine, which has an article on "Sacred Embelllishment: A Look at
Medieval German Bead Art", by Jen Segrest. http://old.medievalbeads.com/ -
if you don't have that issue, I could try to find it for you as I'm sure I
have it. ))

http://medievalbeads.com/content/view/32/1/, has a wonderful collection of
pincushions! Seeing as how embroidery was so big back then, a pincushion
made of felt and decorated with beads could be appropriate. I love the
grinning cat face and eyeball pincushions. The girls could end up using
their pincushions to hold any jeweled pins they have or maybe just stab it
with pins when they're hit with teenage angst.

But I think your Chainne Maille would be great for a 'girdle' or belt for
the girls... just a loose chain for their waists, with a longer chain
hanging down. Simple is best.
--
hugs,
Linda

:
: Any ideas? Bead embroidery sounds too difficult for most kids. My bead
: history isn't that good to come up with something else.
:
: --
: Jerri
: www.beadbimbo.com
:
:

Old July 9th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Wow! Thanks, Linda!

I'm printing out the first one to sit and go through.

I like the pin cushion idea, and the girdle, too. Yes, simple is best.
I've found that things take 10X longer to do when you're doing them with a
group of kids!!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
[...]

Bead Embroidery designs Daisy Needlework 1 April 9th 05 03:20 PM
Bead Embroidery Lisa Caryl Beads 5 February 23rd 05 08:53 AM
bead embroidery/stuffing Carlinda Beads 5 July 12th 04 12:54 AM
this week's work..bead embroidery mermaid, freeform peyote bracelet. AD, too. Amber Beads 5 May 13th 04 08:31 PM
Shirley's bead embroidery Marisa Cappetta Beads 9 April 16th 04 06:56 AM