so....you want to talk copying?

Old March 19th 04, 12:29 AM
Christina Peterson

What does CNA mean?

Tina

"Vedis Jansdottir" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:31:24 -0800, "meijhana"
wrote:

this is a very hard one to work. It takes research on your part.

Actually, your post helped me out a lot.

Just to hear other people's opinions on each of the venues, and that
there ARE some people out there who can work by word of mouth is
helpful. And what I was looking for. (I have my own opinions of what
I personally will do, but again, I like hearing other's opinions)

I am not quite ready to sell yet. (I am a perfectionist, strangely it
only affects my art...) However, I don't plan on being a CNA forever.
Beads are really where my heart lies. It is comforting to know that
people DO survive on the income generated by their craft.

Their stories of trial and error are helpful as well. Which is where
this list comes in. (and my question).

Thank you!

Vedis

Old March 19th 04, 12:42 AM
Vedis Jansdottir

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:29:56 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

What does CNA mean?

Tina

Certified Nursing Assistant

Vedis
Old March 19th 04, 01:58 AM
Christina Peterson

First, may I suggest top posting. It's how most people here post, and many
won't even go to the bother of scrolling to the bottom.

I imagine most of us start by making gifts, them making things and asking
for the price of the beads, and then to selling things for just a little
profit to friends and acquaintances. I would guess you've already done that
part.

It's the next part that's hard to decide on. Basically you have two
choices, 1) sell it to someone who will retail it, or 2) sell it to the
public yourself.

It is more work to sell it to the public, which is why retailers sell it for
twice what they pay for it. Obviously we'd all like to get the retail
price. But personally, I'd rather spend my time with the jewelry and not
the marketing. That means I sell it to stores and galleries.

If you do your own marketing, you have to be able to pull 12 hour shifts at
bazaars or shows. You have to buy your displays, tents, tables, etc. You
have to do market research. You have to be very, very proficient at
photography and write excellent copy. In other words, you might get twice
the money, but you'll be doing 2 jobs, working twice as long.

That's the first big obvious question. How do you want to spend your time?
As it happens, I have Depression. It's not melancholy that effects me, it
getting overwhelmed and having my brain shut down. Shows would make me
confused with too much input. The left brained marketing stuff would also
burn me out. So my choice is easy.

How do you feel about all the marketing, etc.

Tina

"Vedis Jansdottir" wrote ...
For those of us who are simply obsessed hobbyists. With the
assumption that we have our 'craft' under control and we have done all
our research and such. What do you suggest we do to 'break into' the
BUSINESS aspect of beading and Jewelry. For instance. Would you
suggest we do shows first? Or try to find a local store to carry our
beads, or start a web page to market ourselves...what would be the
first steps?

Old March 19th 04, 03:26 AM
BeckiBead

I am gonna
give you a spanking, young lady.
~~
Sooz

I'm not sure of the topic, but I am sure that I want in on this. LMAO

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old March 19th 04, 02:41 PM
Margie

On 19 Mar 2004 03:26:48 GMT, uybeads (BeckiBead)
wrote:

LMAO

Best keep an eye on your A, missy. eg

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old March 19th 04, 05:43 PM
Dr. Sooz

For those of us who are simply obsessed hobbyists. With the
assumption that we have our 'craft' under control and we have done all
our research and such. What do you suggest we do to 'break into' the
BUSINESS aspect of beading and Jewelry. For instance. Would you
suggest we do shows first? Or try to find a local store to carry our
beads, or start a web page to market ourselves...what would be the
first steps?

Oh, okay.

If you've done all your research -- that means *market*research* -- you know by
now what doing those venues entails. In other words, you know what it would
take, from you, to sell in a store, or do a show -- at least as well as you CAN
know without actually having done it yourself. The first steps.

So the first next step would be to decide which of those venues you want to do.
One? All? Just a few? You've already decided if you want to wholesale to
retailers or not, and which venues will require this.

Then you need to fully prepare to do your choice of venue. If you've done your
research, you know how to do this. For instance, to sell to stores, you have
to be able to talk terms, have paperwork ready, have a presentation case done,
call in advance for an appointment, have an outfit ready to wear that's
appropriate, etc. You've done the market research (checked out the stores and
seen what types of jewelry they sell, and what sells well/doesn't sell).

For a show venue, if it's outdoors you need some sort of physical protection.
Indoors, not so much. You need booth stuff -- displays, receipts, cash drawer.
Will you offer credit card processing? Bags, etc. Everything, of course,
requires business cards.

This sort of thing is all known to you by now.
Because you've done all your research.
In other words, if you've done the research, you don't NEED to ask what the
first steps would be.

You know already. That's what the research is about.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 19th 04, 05:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

I am gonna
give you a spanking, young lady.
~~
Sooz

I'm not sure of the topic, but I am sure that I want in on this. LMAO

Somehow I knew Becki would want in on this.
How? How, you ask me? HOW?
haw haw haw haw
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

SPEAKING OF COPYING BeckiBead Beads 61 March 17th 04 06:31 PM
talk about old... Barbara Otterson Beads 8 February 24th 04 03:53 PM
Totally OT -- Let's talk about food! Lee S. Billings Beads 0 July 28th 03 03:39 AM
I really need to talk about bead weaving or beads... [email protected] Beads 1 July 24th 03 02:29 AM