so....you want to talk copying?

Old March 11th 04, 12:45 PM
tatercat

Default so....you want to talk copying?

Walk a mile in my shoes....

The polymer clay community has to be one of the worst concerning the
copying battle. To most of them...if they can see it...they can try to
copy and sell it.

When I call a person I get trashed from one end of the internet to the
other...called names I shall not repeat here...told I should move on
to something else when someone figures out what I'm doing and has work
up for sale.

They constantly praise the more famous clayers for 'sharing all their
ideas'...bunk. Never mind those people make their money from promoting
clay for the manufacturers.

The other copying thread made me sick for the original holder of the
name. I feel for her.

Jill Newman ^..^ Tatercat Studio
Old March 11th 04, 02:20 PM
Jayzor

I know one situation which you are refering to, and I have little doubt
there have been others. I have been apalled by some of their arguments
advocating copying and by the sheer number of people copying your work,
however, I wish you would not lump all polymer artists in with this
group. Not everyone in the Polymer Community operates this way.

Unfortunately, I have seen just as many copying situations in the
Polymer community as I have in the jewelry, beading and lampworking
community. It's a handful of individuals that make bad choices, and
these events happen regardless of the medium.

jayne

Old March 11th 04, 03:51 PM
roxan

I have a question for you. If they don't copyright it is there much you can
do? This is a problem in every creative medium.
Roxan
om...

Old March 11th 04, 05:12 PM
Kandice Seeber

Wow - I didn't know the polyclay community was so up in arms about the
issue. Your designs are so amazingly original and beautiful, I can't
imagine anyone trying to copy you. (((((Jill)))))

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 11th 04, 07:15 PM
Christina Peterson

I know you aren't copying anyone, Jayne. Your work is so original.

As far as your work goes, Jill. I don't really know what you're referring
to, but I have seen some things similar to yours every once in a while, But
without your trademark delicacy. I'm sorry to hear about this.

Tina

Old March 11th 04, 07:21 PM
Dr. Sooz

One thing, Jill -- no one does it like you. Any copycats you have can't touch
you, dear. Your work is too fine. We can see the difference. Your stuff is
head and shoulders above the copiers!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 11th 04, 09:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

Same here. I do have a true confession to make, though. I have thought long

and hard to try and figure out your technique. Not that I want to copy your
stuff (copying is not my style), but because I'm so impressed by the beauty
of your things, and really want to know how you do it.

I feel the same way about some of the lampworked beads here - I'd love to see

some of you guys in action. I don't want to copy you, and I sure don't want
to make my own beads, but I am fascinated by the technique.

Kathy N-V

Oh Kathy -- me too. It's curiosity. One approach is disrespect for the work
(copycats), one is Respect with a capital R.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 11th 04, 09:35 PM
Kandice Seeber

Yeah!!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
One thing, Jill -- no one does it like you. Any copycats you have can't

touch
you, dear. Your work is too fine. We can see the difference. Your stuff

is
head and shoulders above the copiers!
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 11th 04, 09:38 PM
tatercat

Jayzor wrote in message ...
I know one situation which you are refering to, and I have little doubt
there have been others. I have been apalled by some of their arguments
advocating copying and by the sheer number of people copying your work,
however, I wish you would not lump all polymer artists in with this
group. Not everyone in the Polymer Community operates this way.

Unfortunately, I have seen just as many copying situations in the
Polymer community as I have in the jewelry, beading and lampworking
community. It's a handful of individuals that make bad choices, and
these events happen regardless of the medium.

jayne

Hey Jayzor....

I didn't lump all polymer users in the copy category...but I have been
involved with several facets of the arts and for my
experience....polymer has the most copycats by far.

....and it isn't a handful of individuals. It's rampant. It's time
people learned that if they see it somewhere other than instructional
or copyright free materials...you can't make and sell it.

If we don't start taking this situation serious...polymer artists will
never be respected.

Jill
Old March 11th 04, 09:44 PM
tatercat

"roxan" wrote in message ...
I have a question for you. If they don't copyright it is there much you can
do? This is a problem in every creative medium.
Roxan

Do you mean if the copycat doesn't try to copyright the copy? Not sure
what you're asking.

Just for fun..here are the copyright laws in plain english for those
of us that aren't lawyers. #3 is the rule that they don't seem to
understand.

In the United States, there are 7 basic rights that the copyright code
recognizes - and that the copyright holder ALONE controls:

1) The reproductive right: the right to control reproduction of the
work
in whatever form it would copy.

2) The distribution right: that is the right to control distribution
of
copies of the work (in whatever form you include or exclude).

3) The adaptive right: the right to produce (or allow others to
produce)
derivative works based on the copyrighted work.

4) The performance right: that is the right to perform the
copyrighted
work publicly (generally reserved for music, plays, operas,
etc...)

5) The display right: that is the right to display the copyrighted
work
publicly (which separately refers to display of an original OR
display
of reproductions).

6) The integrity right: that is the right of an author to prevent the
use
of his or her name as the author of a distorted version of the
work,
to prevent intentional distortion of the work, and to prevent
destruction of the work (in reference to one of a kind or
extremely
limited edition works, generally artistic. When dealing with
destruction, special conditions apply, check with the Copyright
Office.)

7) The attribution right (also referred to as the paternity right):
that
is the right of the author to claim authorship of the work and to
prevent the use of his or her name as the author of a work he or
she
did not create (or in reference to an altered work).

A copyright allows you control of all of these rights, and they cannot
be
taken from you (except in VERY LIMITED legal actions). Only you have
the
right to control how these are applied.

I don't know how much clearer it could be.

Jill

SPEAKING OF COPYING BeckiBead Beads 61 March 17th 04 06:31 PM
talk about old... Barbara Otterson Beads 8 February 24th 04 03:53 PM
Totally OT -- Let's talk about food! Lee S. Billings Beads 0 July 28th 03 03:39 AM
I really need to talk about bead weaving or beads... [email protected] Beads 1 July 24th 03 02:29 AM