Newsgroup Access Question

Old May 13th 11, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default Newsgroup Access Question

Hi Guys,
In getting ready to move back to Lizard Land, DH has gotten me a
laptop to use. I currently use Netscape 7.2 to access the newsgroups
and some German company supplies the newsgroups to Netscape. We pay the
German company less than $20/year. I don';t mind paying the money but
my problem is now how to go about getting all this stuff from this
computer to the laptop. DH said he couldn't find anyway to access
different versions of Netscape using the laptop. THIS is the type of
computer stuff I am totally in the dark about!!
So -- could someone either help me find a way to download Netscape
7.2 to my laptop OR recommend some other way -- besides Google -- to
access newsgroups? Please, Please, Please -- I don't want to lose y'all
but I also don;t want to use Google!!! HELP!!!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old May 13th 11, 09:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

Your DH has to set up your laptop so you can connect to your ISP provider.
If he has done this you should be able to at least browse the internet. If
you can browse the internet but can't find anything pertaining to Netscape
then chances are that whatever browser you are using on the laptop is
blocking any searches for the word Netscape. ( I thought that Netscape won a
law suit over Microsoft for those tactics yars ago)
EGRO a catch -22 - How to use a different browser when Microsoft
Windoes-XX? IE) is blocking access to them!!

When it comes to computers I'm more HARPO than GURU but you could try
downloading Netscape 7.2 to a separate file on your computer and save it to
a disc. DON'T do the install when prompted. In the programs section on your
laptop set up a file folder called Netscape and download Netscape 7.2 from
the disc to the file folder you created on your laptop. Open your new file
folder and look for an "EXE" file and click to open or run it. With luck
that should work.

If the OS (Windoes-XX?) on the laptop blocks the Netscape installation turn
OFF Windoes security system and try again. If it works it will then be up to
you or your DH to select either Windoes-XX? IE or Netscape as your default
browser. If the OS on your laptop has a system restore function create a
restore date and write down the date somewhere. If everything works and you
are happy then turn your Windoes security system back ON.

The reason for creating a restore date is that you can expect the OS
(Windoes-XX? IE) to duke it out with Netscape every chance it gets. You want
be able to go back to the day everything worked for you and click system
restore to get everything working again.

Just because you set Netscape to be your default browser DON'T expect OS
(Windoes-XX? IE) to be happy with your decision. I suspect that everytime
you do
a (Windoes-XX?) update it will change your default browser setting back to
(Windoes-XX? IE)

ASSuming that you get everything kosher you could try accessing newsgroups
via Netscape or by using news.eternal-september.org

I find news.eternal-september.org is great! No ads. and I don't know how
they do it but it is fast and free!

Fred

Old May 13th 11, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 13/05/2011 06:42, Tia Mary wrote:
Hi Guys,
In getting ready to move back to Lizard Land, DH has gotten me a laptop
to use. I currently use Netscape 7.2 to access the newsgroups and some
German company supplies the newsgroups to Netscape. We pay the German
company less than $20/year. I don';t mind paying the money but my
problem is now how to go about getting all this stuff from this computer
to the laptop. DH said he couldn't find anyway to access different
versions of Netscape using the laptop. THIS is the type of computer
stuff I am totally in the dark about!!
So -- could someone either help me find a way to download Netscape 7.2
to my laptop OR recommend some other way -- besides Google -- to access
newsgroups? Please, Please, Please -- I don't want to lose y'all but I
also don;t want to use Google!!! HELP!!!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

For the past 2 or 3 years I've been using Thunderbird to read
newsgroups. http://www.mozillamessaging.com
Bruce
Old May 13th 11, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bobbieviorritto

On 5/13/2011 4:13 AM, Bruce wrote:
[...]

I also have used Thunderbird to access newsgroups, but more like eight
years or more. Firefox would be the browser proton. Looks a lot like
Netscape but broken into 2 components. Transferring bookmarks and
accounts is easy as well as using them. I transferred my parents to
these from Netscape years ago and they didn't notice a difference in use.

Bobbie V.

Old May 13th 11, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Bruce wrote:
For the past 2 or 3 years I've been using Thunderbird to read
newsgroups. http://www.mozillamessaging.com
Bruce

I went to the site and there's a plethora of versions available for
download. Which are you using? Is it like Netscape (I can ONLY use
version 7.2 which is very old) and I will need to keep the German site
to provide the newsgroups postings and then have Mozilla for access to
reading them? DH doesn't "do" newsgroups so none of this matters to him
and he has no clue what to do either. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old May 13th 11, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Karen C in Calif wrote:
Bruce wrote:

For the past 2 or 3 years I've been using Thunderbird to read
newsgroups. http://www.mozillamessaging.com

The problem, Bruce, is that it's very hard to teach an old Tia new
tricks. She understands how to use Netscape. We don't want to confuse
her by making her learn Thunderbird.

OH YES -- I absolutely HATE to have to learn to use a new program.
I don't mind learning new stuff about a familiar program. With new
programs, it's that total lack of familiarity that just frosts my
cookies. Besides, I have a huge chip on my shoulder when it comes to
computers. I am firmly convinced that the texchies who write the
directions are alien creatuares from another world and don't really
understand English. I'd like to get my hands on one and give Him or Her
written directions on how to do needlework but done in OUR esoteric
language that they don't understand!!!
We have several computers going here so I might just try a few
different things ans see how that goes. I am leaning to Bobbie's
suggestion because she says it's a lot ike netscape.
Regardless of what I do, if I have to use something new, you KNOW I
will be e-mailing whichever one of you guys suggested it asking for help
-- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old May 13th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 13/05/2011 11:48, Tia Mary wrote:
Bruce wrote:
For the past 2 or 3 years I've been using Thunderbird to read
newsgroups. http://www.mozillamessaging.com
Bruce

I went to the site and there's a plethora of versions available for
download. Which are you using? Is it like Netscape (I can ONLY use
version 7.2 which is very old) and I will need to keep the German site
to provide the newsgroups postings and then have Mozilla for access to
reading them? DH doesn't "do" newsgroups so none of this matters to him
and he has no clue what to do either. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, CiaoMeow ^;;^

When I visit the site I'm given just one option - the UK English
download version; presumably the website uses my IP address to work out
whereabouts in the world I am. As for Netscape, I haven't touched that
for over 12 years now so I can't help you.
Bruce

Old May 13th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"alien creatuares from another world"

Hey they are probably still trying to communicate with humans using Windows
95!

Fred

Old May 13th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

To a degree you are right http://www.eternal-september.org is the real cat's
butt! But Thanks In Advance Mary still needs a mail program to access
http://www.eternal-september.org

Fred

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 May 2011 01:42:00 -0400, Tia Mary
wrote:

Hi Guys,
In getting ready to move back to Lizard Land, DH has gotten me a
laptop to use. I currently use Netscape 7.2 to access the newsgroups
and some German company supplies the newsgroups to Netscape. We pay the
German company less than $20/year. I don';t mind paying the money but
my problem is now how to go about getting all this stuff from this
computer to the laptop. DH said he couldn't find anyway to access
different versions of Netscape using the laptop. THIS is the type of
computer stuff I am totally in the dark about!!
So -- could someone either help me find a way to download Netscape
7.2 to my laptop OR recommend some other way -- besides Google -- to
access newsgroups? Please, Please, Please -- I don't want to lose y'all
but I also don;t want to use Google!!! HELP!!!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

You are making it complicated - go to http://www.eternal-september.org

and follow the directions. It's free, it is acclaimed as a newsreader
and streets ahead of google groups.

Eons ago I used Netscape but have long since abandoned that, this is
even easier.

Old May 13th 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

[...]

Ditto to what Sheena has said. Eternal-september works very well. I use it
for access to the newsgroups, and actually have it as the link via my e-mail
program. Just give it a try.

Also, WRT browsers, you should be able to download Firefox from Mozilla,
which is free, and works on PC platforms, as well as Mac platforms. It's
pretty robust, and they update it regularly. I cannot imagine what your DH
did that would prevent your laptop from being able to install a reasonable
web browser.

Good luck.

Ellice