Scissors for perforated paper

Old July 22nd 10, 10:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

Default Scissors for perforated paper

I am doing a bunch of Mill Hill kits right now, in between my
Chatelaine, and I am having a dickens of a time cutting them out
neatly. Send me to remedial kindergarden!
But seriously, every pair of scissors I try either won't cut to the
end of the blades or tends to crush the paper, rather than cut it
cleanly. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced
solution, preferably available at ACMoore or Michaels?
TIA,
Sara
Old July 22nd 10, 11:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Sara ) writes:
I am doing a bunch of Mill Hill kits right now, in between my
Chatelaine, and I am having a dickens of a time cutting them out
neatly. Send me to remedial kindergarden!
But seriously, every pair of scissors I try either won't cut to the
end of the blades or tends to crush the paper, rather than cut it
cleanly. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced
solution, preferably available at ACMoore or Michaels?
TIA,
Sara

Sara, The quality of the scissors is the quality of the steel in the
blades. I am sorry, but quality never comes cheap. Jim.
Old July 22nd 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Sara" wrote in message
I am doing a bunch of Mill Hill kits right now, in between my
Chatelaine, and I am having a dickens of a time cutting them out
neatly. Send me to remedial kindergarden!
But seriously, every pair of scissors I try either won't cut to the
end of the blades or tends to crush the paper, rather than cut it
cleanly. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced
solution, preferably available at ACMoore or Michaels?
TIA,
Sara

I found the best scissors for that job was a surgical stitch cutter. I
swiped mine from a nurse friend of mine, but I think you can find them at a
reasonable price.

Lucille

Old July 22nd 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/22/10 9:31 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message
I am doing a bunch of Mill Hill kits right now, in between my
Chatelaine, and I am having a dickens of a time cutting them out
neatly. Send me to remedial kindergarden!
But seriously, every pair of scissors I try either won't cut to the
end of the blades or tends to crush the paper, rather than cut it
cleanly. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced
solution, preferably available at ACMoore or Michaels?
TIA,
Sara

I found the best scissors for that job was a surgical stitch cutter. I
swiped mine from a nurse friend of mine, but I think you can find them at a
reasonable price.

Lucille

Hmm - hadn't thought of that one!

Old July 22nd 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/22/10 9:31 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message
I am doing a bunch of Mill Hill kits right now, in between my
Chatelaine, and I am having a dickens of a time cutting them out
neatly. Send me to remedial kindergarden!
But seriously, every pair of scissors I try either won't cut to the
end of the blades or tends to crush the paper, rather than cut it
cleanly. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced
solution, preferably available at ACMoore or Michaels?
TIA,
Sara

I found the best scissors for that job was a surgical stitch cutter. I
swiped mine from a nurse friend of mine, but I think you can find them at
reasonable price.

Lucille

Hmm - hadn't thought of that one!

I should add that I don't mean the throwaway kind with the curved tip. This
one is a bent scissor with sharp points.

Old July 22nd 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

"Lucille" wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message
I am doing a bunch of Mill Hill kits right now, in between my
Chatelaine, and I am having a dickens of a time cutting them out
neatly. Send me to remedial kindergarden!
But seriously, every pair of scissors I try either won't cut to the
end of the blades or tends to crush the paper, rather than cut it
cleanly. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced
solution, preferably available at ACMoore or Michaels?
TIA,
Sara

I found the best scissors for that job was a surgical stitch cutter. I
swiped mine from a nurse friend of mine, but I think you can find them at
reasonable price.

Lucille

Hmm - hadn't thought of that one!

I should add that I don't mean the throwaway kind with the curved tip. This
one is a bent scissor with sharp points.

I actually got a bent scissor with points at Michaels - I think on sale for
about $5. I've used my "Tooltron" cheapie $8 scissors - they've cut canvas,
perf paper, etc. They're with my stitching supplies, but I use them for all
the "don't use your good scissors" stuff - and they work fine.

On the suture removal side - I was wondering - the last pair I got wouldn't
really do for anything as hefty as perf paper. And the staple remover one,
is just too blunt.

The other option - depending on how steady your hand is - a blade cutter. I
have a couple of Xacto knives that I use for cutting shapes from plastic. I
also recently got a "fingertip" tool set, Fiskars - has a mini-xacto,
mini-rotary cutter, mini-tweezers. Or a regular quilters rotary cutter -
but you really need a mat to use with that. Often Joann's will have the
small sets on sale or you could coupon them. Just be very careful using
one.

Ellice

Old July 23rd 10, 10:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:57:22 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

The other option - depending on how steady your hand is - a blade cutter. I
have a couple of Xacto knives that I use for cutting shapes from plastic. I
also recently got a "fingertip" tool set, Fiskars - has a mini-xacto,
mini-rotary cutter, mini-tweezers. Or a regular quilters rotary cutter -
but you really need a mat to use with that. Often Joann's will have the
small sets on sale or you could coupon them. Just be very careful using
one.

Ellice

I actually have a rotary cutter and mat, but there's no way that would
work for the detail cutting. I have an exacto knife around here
somewhere; maybe I'll try that.Could I use the rotary mat for a
surface? Has anyone seen or tried the ceramic (I think) exacto style
knife that I've seen in catalogs? Think geek maybe.

Sara
Old July 23rd 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

Lucille wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message

[...]

I have a wonderful pair of bent scissors, long handle, very short,
sharp, pointed blades offset at about a 65 or 70 degree angle. BUT, I
bought them in the drugstore, labelled "toenail scissors", cost around
$10 I think. They live with my embroidery supplies, NOT in the bathroom.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans