Australian floods - Our Oz posters

Old January 1st 11, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Default Australian floods - Our Oz posters

Anybody know what part of Australia Trish is in? And whether or not she
is affected by the floods (or by the drought further south)?

And for all the rest of our Australian posters as well - good thoughts
and prayers on their way. It sounds like a nightmare.

MargW
Old January 1st 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/1/2011 10:40 AM, MargW wrote:
Anybody know what part of Australia Trish is in? And whether or not she
is affected by the floods (or by the drought further south)?

And for all the rest of our Australian posters as well - good thoughts
and prayers on their way. It sounds like a nightmare.

MargW

I had a couple of emails from Trish this morning, so I guess all is
well. I THINK she is on the east to south-east coast of Australia...and
the floods are in the NorthWest. Not too sure, though.

Gillian.
Old January 2nd 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

MargW wrote:
Anybody know what part of Australia Trish is in? And whether or not she
is affected by the floods (or by the drought further south)?

And for all the rest of our Australian posters as well - good thoughts
and prayers on their way. It sounds like a nightmare.

MargW

Thanks for asking, Marg!

I'm in Newcastle, NSW. It's on the east coast, about two hours' drive
north of Sydney. We had our big floods a few years ago and can only look
on in horror as Queensland is inundated! I have family up there and life
is very hard for them at present.

Our weather patterns have been all over the place lately. We had an
unexpectedly cold winter and then a late summer hit with a vengeance,
bringing with it the usual fire danger. However, we keep getting icy
cold days interspersed among the hot ones! No one can seem to explain
that, but it's certainly weird!

Aramanth is the one I'm most worried about: she lives in South
Australia, where they're expecting temperatures above 50șC. The fire
danger is currently listed as 'catastrophic' and the whole south of the
country is waiting nervously to see what's going to happen.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old January 2nd 11, 08:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Karen C in Calif wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
Aramanth is the one I'm most worried about: she lives in South
Australia, where they're expecting temperatures above 50șC.

That's 122F....

Yep! Manth reckons they get temps like that quite often. This year,
though, there's a huge fuel load and all the conditions are pointing
toward a 'catastrophic' fire season.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old January 2nd 11, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Trish Brown wrote:
Karen C in Calif wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
Aramanth is the one I'm most worried about: she lives in South
Australia, where they're expecting temperatures above 50șC.

That's 122F....

Yep! Manth reckons they get temps like that quite often. This year,
though, there's a huge fuel load and all the conditions are pointing
toward a 'catastrophic' fire season.

Wow - not good. Keeping everyone in my thoughts. It seems that the
weather worldwide is all out of whack.

MargW
Old January 4th 11, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nickname unavailable

Much of central Queensland is under water, the equivalent of France
and Germany combined. Incredible disaster for the people concerned.
I live in Brisbane, where we've had a lot of rain but not so heavy as
to cause flooding.

Johnno
Old January 4th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
The Lady Gardener[_3_]

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:32:36 -0800 (PST), Nickname unavailable
wrote:

Much of central Queensland is under water, the equivalent of France
and Germany combined. Incredible disaster for the people concerned.
I live in Brisbane, where we've had a lot of rain but not so heavy as
to cause flooding.

Johnno

No doubt about it, world weather has gone crazy. Australia is usually
thirsty for water, snip

Never fear, the south west corner of Western Australia is dryer than the
proverbial Englishman's towel. Last winter we had a lot of cold nights,
with wonderful clear days, alas we also had hardly a drop of rain. Our dams
stand at somewhere just under 30% capacity, and there is so much ground
water mixed with our drinking water it tastes and smells like a swimming
pool (Chlorinated). Given that my house is barely 200 metres from the
Canning River, I wouldn't wish for anywhere near as much rain as is falling
in Queensland, but some rain, any rain would see us all running naked in the
streets to welcome it - come to think of it that may well scare the rain
off!

Our intro into summer has been brutal with hot and humid weather a plenty
since the beginning of November, and there's still at least 4 months to go
that can be considered summer time.

Yes, the weather has been funny, and I for one have been trying to redress
my use of all things - and to be quite realistic, a more simple, less
consumption life hasn't done me a jot of harm.

Joanne - sweltering in 28 degrees Celsius at 9.30 pm.

Old January 4th 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 1, 8:51*pm, Trish Brown wrote:

I'm in Newcastle, NSW. It's on the east coast, about two hours' drive
north of Sydney. We had our big floods a few years ago and can only look
on in horror as Queensland is inundated! I have family up there and life
is very hard for them at present.

I do hope they're ok! Having gone through that here back in '97, I
have great sympathy for them!

Aramanth is the one I'm most worried about: she lives in South
Australia, where they're expecting temperatures above 50șC. The fire
danger is currently listed as 'catastrophic' and the whole south of the
country is waiting nervously to see what's going to happen.

Did I miss something??? When did 'Manth move to Australia? Have you
been in touch with her? How's Ross doing since the accident?

Joan
Old January 4th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

wrote:

No doubt about it, world weather has gone crazy. Australia is usually
thirsty for water, we normally bitch about cold and snow, this year
it's over in the UK causing havoc. Florida had seriously low
temperatures (for them) recently and the arctic ice cap is slowly
breaking up. Earthquakes have been occurring with unfailing
regularity and a few major volcanic eruptions.

Sorry. Earthquakes and volcanos are nothing to do with weather. And the
Arctic ice cap is NOT breaking up. Jim.
Old January 4th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/2/11 2:02 AM, in article ,
"Trish Brown" wrote:

Karen C in Calif wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
Aramanth is the one I'm most worried about: she lives in South
Australia, where they're expecting temperatures above 50șC.

That's 122F....

Yep! Manth reckons they get temps like that quite often. This year,
though, there's a huge fuel load and all the conditions are pointing
toward a 'catastrophic' fire season.

We've been trying to get in touch with my cousin who also lives in the
south, in Geelong - south of Melbourne. They have a place out in the
boonies, but had moved into town a while ago.

Glad to hear you're doing alright - that's really hard to deal with. When I
used to work in the NM desert - during the really hot times we would work
night side only 'cause it was too harsh to work during the day with temps
over 110 - and out in the desert.

Ellice

OT - Australian floods - ping Bronnie ME-Judy[_2_] Quilting 5 January 2nd 11 11:39 AM
Floods & ND ellice Needlework 7 April 1st 09 09:28 PM
Midwestern floods Olwyn Mary Needlework 1 June 30th 08 03:25 PM
Floods in England Shillelagh Yarn 28 July 31st 07 12:22 AM
Newcastle (Au) floods Pat P Needlework 11 June 12th 07 11:23 AM