A helpful hint for feathering floss.

Old October 10th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
vcardx[_2_]

Default A helpful hint for feathering floss.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the possibility of using some
fabric cover with some 'nap' over the cardboard that would hopefully hold it
better...
Something like a velvet or microfibre or ??

back to lurking,
vcard

"Fred" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message

"KT in Mich" wrote in message

Snip

Ok I got question. I can see laying out the separated strands side by
side. For me they still have a tendency to flop around and tangle a bit as
they continue to unravel but no big deal. However I'm usually working
three colors at the same time so that means having eighteen strands to
deal with. I've tried making a thin cardboard holder about 18"high x
12"wide. I cut eighteen slits (with a razor blade) about 1/2" long at the
top 1/2" apart, and did the same at the bottom of the cardboard holder. As
I separated each strand I would slide on end into a slit at the top,
gently pull down on the strand and slide the other end into the slit at
the bottom. Like stringing a harp. This goes pretty quick, about 1-1/2
minutes for each eighteen inch of six strand. This gives me three cards of
nicely sorted strands however it doesn't take too long before the slits in
the cardboard start to wear and they won't grip the strands. I've tried
thin plastic sheets with little or no improvement. I've tried cementing
small child hair barrettes at the top and bottom to grip the strands but
they take up too much space and the springs in them are generally too
weak. Eventual storage of floss has been worked out by many and that is
not my concern right here. I need something while I'm stitching. The
reason for securing at the top and bottom is that if the strands are just
gripped at the top and left to dangle/hang they still have a tendency to
unravel a bit and consequently tangle a bit. I don't need the hassle.LOL

Anybody got a wild idea that might work better than cardboards??? Icing on
the cake would be something that looks nice when finished and in use while
stitching.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old October 10th 10, 11:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
The Lady Gardener[_3_]

"Fred" wrote in message

Snip

Ok I got question. I can see laying out the separated strands side by side.
For me they still have a tendency to flop around and tangle a bit as they
continue to unravel but no big deal.

Snip

Anybody got a wild idea that might work better than cardboards???

I have to confess to a completely utilitarian approach.......when I am using
thread which comes on the natty little cardboard tags, I cut the thread into
whatever lengths suits (usually about 20") and then thread the bundle back
through the natty tag with a larks head knot, then when I want strands I use
the needle I'm working with to lift up a thread and draw it from the bundle.
If I need multiple threads, simply repeat the process. If thread doesn't
come with its natty cardboard tag I simply make one up from whatever card is
to hand, though I confess that my preferred card is from cosmetic boxes,
there is something rather indulgent about tagging your thread with the
elegance of a Chanel box, and it makes the thrill of pretty boxes last a bit
longer.

I know others work with multiple needles already threaded, but that is an
effort I can't be bothered with, and have never really understood the
reasons why it is done.

Joanne in Western Australia

Old October 10th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

I dont know if this is any help, and I dont use this technique myself.
But someone might find it useful. I came across a lady who did the
following. She wound the skein onto a bobbin. When she wanted floss, she
unwound the thread for the length she required, selected one strand, and
pulled as much as she required. Then she cut this off, put the rest of the
floss back staright, and rewound it on the bobbin. If you dont use the same
length of thread every time, eventually the end of the thread has only one
end sticking out. So it makes it easy to see which one to use, and grab it
easily. Just a suggestion. Jim.
Old October 10th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

On Oct 9, 6:50*pm, "KT in Mich" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

To each his/her own. *Sounds like a lot of work but if it keeps you sane,
then it is sure the right way for you! *I am currently at the end of a 2
year project, Van Gogh's "Starry Night" as presented by the Scarlet Quince
folks. *83 blended colors on 18 mesh cloth. *In order to keep the colors and
strands in order, I use 2 of those long thread sorters where one sticks a
threaded needle into a small spongy square with the stitch symbol above the
square. *The 2 of them holds all 83 colors, all threaded in 83 needles.
Kind of like pulling crayons from the box to color. *Works for me even if
the threads kind of clump together. *After 2 years I can say I've never had
a tangle that prevented me from gently pulling the threaded needle out of
the sponge and using it. Not what I'd call "looking nice", but it gets the
job done for me. (Luckily, I do not have a cat who would make very short
order of this setup!) *If and when (probably "when") I do another huge
project (probably "American Gothic") I will definitely use this threaded
needle storage system. I keep the unblended floss in a case, on the plastic
bobbins until I need to replenish a needle.

KT. in MI

I use the needle holder you are referring to. Before I quit stitching
for the day, I thread five (or more) needles
for each color, stick them in the proper slots, and zip it shut. I am
ready to go, next time I stitch!

Saves time for me as I don't spend all that time locating a color,
separating, threading, etc.....I just stitch.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old October 10th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
KT in Mich

"Cathy from KY in CA" wrote in message

I use the needle holder you are referring to. Before I quit stitching
for the day, I thread five (or more) needles
for each color, stick them in the proper slots, and zip it shut. I am
ready to go, next time I stitch!

Saves time for me as I don't spend all that time locating a color,
separating, threading, etc.....I just stitch.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

Your idea is great if you are working on a smaller project or traveling. I
don't have - or need - the zippered case. Because I am constantly changing
colors -- often after just one or two stitches -- being able to store the
threaded needle into this spongy sorter makes it so much faster to switch
threads without constant threading of needles. I don't like carrying thread
on the back of the fabric for more than an inch or so, even if I can
inter-weave it.

Gosh, between my newest hobby of quilting, and my old one of cross-stitch,
I am sure not bored these days!!!
KT. in MI

Old October 11th 10, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

Your idea is great if you are working on a smaller project or traveling. *I
don't have - or need - the zippered case.

The size of the project and traveling have nothing to do with it.
This is just my method.
Even when working on a project with 80 or more colors, I usually
don't use all 80 colors in one stitching
session, so it is not as much threading at one time as one would
think. I like the pouch for storage.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

OT-Plastic bags storage helpful hint Barbara[_4_] Needlework 0 April 7th 09 06:02 PM
A helpful Hint. John Quilting 8 February 13th 09 04:03 AM
Floss-Away brand floss bags Seanette Blaylock Needlework 6 February 21st 05 03:49 AM
Helpful hint for school Joan Erickson Needlework 7 May 7th 04 08:12 PM
Helpful Hint for New Year... Jax Place General Crafting 0 January 1st 04 02:22 PM