Beautiful Square

Old October 6th 03, 06:33 PM
Anna MCM

Aud wrote:

Oh Anna Maria, I missed that in "the bullion" ;-)))))))
Really nice I will surely try!
AUD :-))

Hej igen Aud!

About the word bullion: I always understood bullion stitch as "broth
stitch" (buljong in Swedish and buljonŽ in Russian mean broth) and
wondered what it could have in common with broth...
Some days ago I found a list of English Danish word who could be easily
misunderstood and among them bullion, meaning broth in Danish and "gold
and silver which is in the form of bars, plates, lumps or other masses
which shall include items which are not intended to be used as coins but
have a value based upon its weight and quality" in English (the English
definition has been copied from a website).
How did this word pass to indicate the stitch? Maybe because it
resembles a kind of embroidery made with precious metals?

Hugs,

Anna Maria
Old October 6th 03, 08:00 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Anna MCM wrote:

Aud wrote:

Oh Anna Maria, I missed that in "the bullion" ;-)))))))
Really nice I will surely try!
AUD :-))

Hej igen Aud!

About the word bullion: I always understood bullion stitch as "broth
stitch" (buljong in Swedish and buljonŽ in Russian mean broth) and
wondered what it could have in common with broth...

Ah we have that in common in the Dutch language as well....I am sure that
it comes from a French word boulion.....Bullion is indeed a collective
term for Gold.

The path of language and history of words....tends to go along strange
twisting roads.....

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old October 6th 03, 08:01 PM
Anna MCM

Anna MCM wrote:

Some days ago I found a list of English Danish word

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Errata corrige: list of English AND Danish wordS

Bye,

Anna Maria
Old October 7th 03, 03:10 AM
Cori

That is a fun square! I just made one for Sarah Grace during the Sept
exchange. When I saw it I new it would be perfect for the yarn I bought.

Happy Crafting,

Corine

---

Old October 7th 03, 03:25 AM
Cori

Hi there,

Here is another one! I keep picturing it in bright primary crayon colors as
a child's afghan or pillow.

http://members.aol.com/gandal195/pinwheelstar.html

Happy Crafting,

Cori

---

Old October 7th 03, 09:41 AM
spampot

Terrific, Aud! Now I want to try bullion stitch (as if I didn't have
enough WIPs now).

Aud wrote:
Look what I found, Anna Maria!
You are right!
I thought it might be a needle which "closed" the hook, that was NOT right!
http://tinyurl.com/pumh
AUD ;-))

--

"Anna MCM" skrev i melding

Aud wrote:

Anna Maria!
That must be the reason why my hook hang up
whatever I did, or "wrinkeled", shaked or tried to "lurk" it through

the

stitches,
even the rounds around the needle were loose or a bit or more firm!
I thought I was totaly without any talent for bullion stitches!
AUD !!LOL!!

Aud, we are both on line at the same moment :-)))
I got your answer when I sent mine to your previous message!

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old October 7th 03, 09:43 AM
spampot

Cori wrote:
Hi there,

Here is another one! I keep picturing it in bright primary crayon colors as
a child's afghan or pillow.

http://members.aol.com/gandal195/pinwheelstar.html

Happy Crafting,

Cori

---

Oh, another cool one! I think I see squares in my future...

Old October 7th 03, 09:48 AM
spampot

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , Anna MCM wrote:

Aud wrote:

[...]

Aha, Webster's Dictionary comes to the rescue for once. Anna Maria has
hit the nail on the head. Bouillon (spelled that way in English),
meaning a meat broth, is from the French word for "to boil," while
"bullion," meaning a bar or coin of precious metal, is from another
source, and in fact the original "bullion stitch" was embroidery or lace
made with gold or silver threads!

Old October 7th 03, 09:53 AM
spampot

Cori wrote:
Hi there,

Here is another one! I keep picturing it in bright primary crayon colors as
a child's afghan or pillow.

http://members.aol.com/gandal195/pinwheelstar.html

Happy Crafting,

Cori

---

I'm determined to try this one, but I find the step-by-step photos for
folding the pinwheels frustratingly small.

Old October 7th 03, 09:57 AM
Aud

LOL! according to the beautiful result,
I understood that the meaning here was not "broth", but I had NO idea what
it ment!!
I just assosiate "bullion" with WERY relaxed situations!
( NOT a "stubborn" stitch I never could worked out! ;-))

Bullion to me is:
When you are on a skiing tour, and you suddenly FEEL your tired legs ,
then make a stop and feel your cold, "humid" back,
you just find a nice place, sit down, put an extra wool sweater on,
open you coffee bottle, and ENJOY the HOT tasty bullion,
feeling warmth is creeping into your body,
along with sleepyness ;-) and a felling of totaly relaxing! NICE???

AND; I,m sure you know this , Els, from Holland:
skating has been a wery important vinter sport
in Norway (AND in Sweeden but MOST in Holland!).
To watch speed skating was the winters most thrilling event!
Our harts had to be in very good condition, while the best skaters ran!!
But INBETWEEN the best couples running,
there alway was a pair, not much to fear for the winners,
We called them "BULLION Couples"!!!
When they ran, we relaxed, took up our BULLION,
stepped with our feet to get warm toes,
and waited for more exitement,
who could be: Hjalmar Andersen ("Hjallis", N)
Per Ivar Moe(N) Kees Verkerk (H) or some threat from Sweeden (LOL)
Therefore I associate Bullion stitches as an ironic name!!!

AUD , Enjoying the memories of the tast of bollion.
By the way, I could not find a suitable hook for "bollion" in my LYS,
but will call a yarn factory.

"Els van Dam" skrev i melding
In article , Anna MCM