Beautiful Square

Old October 7th 03, 10:00 AM
Aud

This is woth to try, Cori, Thank you!

--

"Cori" skrev i melding
Hi there,

Here is another one! I keep picturing it in bright primary crayon colors

as
a child's afghan or pillow.

http://members.aol.com/gandal195/pinwheelstar.html

Happy Crafting,

Cori

---

Old October 7th 03, 10:04 AM
Aud

I just copied the picture,
pasted it in a Word document
and stretched it to 15x 15 cm (ca.)
printed it as a GOOD quality picture,
and it was amasingly clear!
AUD ;-)

--

"spampot" skrev i melding
Cori wrote:
Hi there,

Here is another one! I keep picturing it in bright primary crayon

colors as
a child's afghan or pillow.

http://members.aol.com/gandal195/pinwheelstar.html

Happy Crafting,

Cori

---

I'm determined to try this one, but I find the step-by-step photos for
folding the pinwheels frustratingly small.

Old October 7th 03, 10:27 AM
Sarah Grace

Cori wrote:
That is a fun square! I just made one for Sarah Grace during the Sept
exchange. When I saw it I new it would be perfect for the yarn I bought.

And it is gorgeous!

Regards
Sarah

Old October 7th 03, 10:41 AM
Ophelia

"spampot" wrote in message

Oh, another cool one! I think I see squares in my future...

LOLOL

Old October 7th 03, 12:58 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Anna MCM wrote:

Aud wrote:

Oh Anna Maria, I missed that in "the bullion" ;-)))))))
Really nice I will surely try!
AUD :-))

Hej igen Aud!

About the word bullion: I always understood bullion stitch as "broth
stitch" (buljong in Swedish and buljonŽ in Russian mean broth) and
wondered what it could have in common with broth...
Some days ago I found a list of English Danish word who could be easily
misunderstood and among them bullion, meaning broth in Danish and "gold
and silver which is in the form of bars, plates, lumps or other masses
which shall include items which are not intended to be used as coins but
have a value based upon its weight and quality" in English (the English
definition has been copied from a website).
How did this word pass to indicate the stitch? Maybe because it
resembles a kind of embroidery made with precious metals?

In English, bullion also means broth. It has both meanings. However, I
would imagine the stitch was named after the little metallic bar, based
on the fact that it forms a little bar or lump in the needlework.

Barbara
Old October 7th 03, 02:16 PM
Anna MCM

spampot wrote:

Aha, Webster's Dictionary comes to the rescue for once. Anna Maria has
hit the nail on the head. Bouillon (spelled that way in English),
meaning a meat broth, is from the French word for "to boil," while
"bullion," meaning a bar or coin of precious metal, is from another
source, and in fact the original "bullion stitch" was embroidery or lace
made with gold or silver threads!

Thanks!

Anna Maria
Old October 12th 03, 12:30 PM
Katherine Burgess

That is gorgeous! I have to hone my crochet skills!
Katherine