interesting sock discussion

Old November 8th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Default interesting sock discussion

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:26:24 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Your Interesting sock dimensions discussions , was very good. i must
admit i haven`t knitted socks for quite some time , but i did
calculations for some people ..my method is taking 1/2 the number of
the circumference for the heel ,,,, working the heel than coming back
to same number I must admit i never knew anyone who had a special wide
heel or as somebody here wrote a wider toe part,,,,, good thinking
material for the day ,,,
mirjam

Hi Mirjam.

When I make flap-gusset socks I use half the total sock stitches to
make the heels. I do generally make a "square" or "dutch" heel and
not a half-hankie or V-heel. The square heel fits me better,
especially when I leave 25% plus two stitches alone as the back of the
heel and turn the heel on the remaining stitches. This has more to do
with the nature of the heel itself, the height of my instep and the
width of the back of my heel than with the size of the sock.

My short row heeled-socks are a different critter altogether. If I
make the heel on 50% of stitches the instep is too short and the socks
ride down in my shoes. When I make the heel on 60% of stitches the
instep is deeper, the heel fits well, and the socks don't ride down.

I certainly don't know everything there is to know about knitting, but
I do know that fiddling with the numbers often produces a better fit,
no matter what the FO is supposed to be
Old November 9th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

FWIW I also knit 60% of stitches into a short row heel for
better fit. And I knit one sock two rounds longer in the
foot, and shape the toes to fit the left and right foot. I
could never see the point to knitting socks (well, more that
just the occasional pair anyway) if they weren't fitted to
the foot they were destined for.

--

Cheryl

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message
: On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:26:24 GMT,
(Mirjam
:

Old November 9th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I just did the right and left toe thing for my DH -- they fit really
nicely that way. Judy

Old November 9th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on a peasant heel. I crochet my socks
and use a peasant (or afterthought) heel and find they can be difficult
to fit. I find it's better for me if I crochet two-tree rounds even
before starting the decreases. Is there any discussion of this on the
knit side of things.

Old November 9th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 9 Nov 2006 06:44:32 -0800, "
wrote:

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on a peasant heel. I crochet my socks
and use a peasant (or afterthought) heel and find they can be difficult
to fit. I find it's better for me if I crochet two-tree rounds even
before starting the decreases. Is there any discussion of this on the
knit side of things.

Threnody is our crochet socks guru so might be able to help you with
your heel issues.

Most of the resources I have for afterthought heels on knitted socks
want you to pick up extra stitches at each end of the heel opening (to
close the holes you'd otherwise have), then knit one round plain while
decreasing the extra stitches into the total stitch count to close
those holes. So yes, there's one round even in there.

Hm. Perhaps you need to make your afterthought heels on more than
half the total sock stitches to get a better fit without the extra
plain rounds?
Old November 10th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
WoolyGooly wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:40:21 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Sounds interesting , thus in fact one might knit 3 heels at the same
time and keep one as reserve ???

Well, I don't think so. When making an afterthought heel one knits
50% or 60% of the sock stitches onto a waste yarn, then knits across
the waste stitches and proceeds with the sock. Once the toe is
finished one pulls out the waste yarn, picks up the live stitches
(plus extras to cover over the holes at the ends), then knits the
heel that's really a toe.

So sure, knit a "spare" but you'll have to graft it onto 100% of the
live stitches! Easier to just pull the old damaged heel off, pick up
the live stitches again and knit another - who cares if it matches,
right?

OTOH it would be a faster repair to graft it on - assuming you could
find it when it was needed! Maybe it would be best to have a stash
of generic heels/toes ready to graft onto socks as needed. :-)
My old idea of the modular sock would work with those: just knit
pretty tubes of whatever pattern you like, then graft on a toe.
When you find out what size foot an intended recipient has, then
you snip and ravel half a round and graft in a heel.

There's a precedent: Once I saw an advertisement in a 1920s magazine
for pre-made sock feet to be grafted onto existing stocking legs,
for the busy mother.

=Tamar
Old November 10th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Farant welcome here ,,
i never heard of a Peasant heel ,,, ????????what is this ???
mirjam

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on a peasant heel. I crochet my socks
and use a peasant (or afterthought) heel and find they can be difficult
to fit. I find it's better for me if I crochet two-tree rounds even
before starting the decreases. Is there any discussion of this on the
knit side of things.

ISO sock pattern recs for self-striping and variegated sock yarns Laura J Yarn 24 October 12th 06 11:11 PM
Sock Yarn Question hesira Yarn 10 June 28th 06 03:16 PM
Another Sock Question hesira Yarn 12 May 30th 06 04:35 AM
The Sock Saga Continues Joy Yarn 6 May 21st 06 02:39 AM
I'm ba-a-a-a-ck!! (Polyclay discussion groups?) Sherry Bailey Polymer Clay 6 September 18th 03 08:18 PM