Felting Wool

Old July 11th 03, 08:17 PM
Lynne in Toronto

Default Felting Wool

If I can be of any assistance...just wash the wool the way you are NOT
supposed to...warm to hot water, throw it in the dryer...et voila!

Off for the weekend to QUILT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynne in Toronto

"M. Wetmore" wrote:

All of a sudden I have been bitten by the "felted wool" bug. I have
so many cure "folk art" style wall hangings made from felted wool, I
decided I need to make one for myself. Actually, I have a great
pattern I would like to make. It is the head of a cat with a bird
sitting on his head. But, I have found that felted wool is very
expensive. So, here's my question. How do you felt wool and can you
felt any wool. ie...can I go to a thrift store and buy wool clothing
and then felt the wool?

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old July 11th 03, 09:21 PM
Betty in Wi

I do it all the time. I buy wool skirts (more fabric) at Goodwill and our
local flea market, cut apart, wash in hot water with a little laundry
detergent, rinse in cold (it's the sudden change in temperature that shrinks
wool). Dry in the dryer and enjoy! I'm on my fourth wall hanging/table
runner. I made the one with chickens and eggs (the pennies) around the
outside that Connecting Threads had in their catalog. You can even overdye
wool (eg. light color plaid) with another color such as green, blue, etc. I
haven't tried this yet but some of my friends have and they used RIT, not
the expensive dyes being sold now. Use only 100% wool because mixed blends
don't shrink well. To tell if it's wool, snip off a small piece and put in a
cup of bleach. In an hour or two it will be completely gone--if it is a
blend or a polyester, it will still be in your cup. Good luck and have fun.
I like the thrill of finding fabric for nothing or a little of nothing---and
you can find more variety that if you buy a yard of wool. Don't be afraid to
use checks and plaids--they add texture and interest to your work.

Betty

Old July 11th 03, 10:16 PM
Patti

Or even boil it, so I understand?
..
In article , Lynne in Toronto
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 11th 03, 11:56 PM
Barbara Bowen

I do traditional rug hooking and buy alot of 100% wool clothing at thrift
stores. I also buy 100% wool on ebay....do a search and type in rughooking.
I also dye my wool for this. I try to buy light colored wool and then use
wool dyes to color. To felt wool, all I do is throw wool (even pieces from
thrift store whole) into my washer and wash in hot water. Then into dryer
and dry on hot setting. If it doesn't felt enough then redo it until you
like the felting. When I dye, I sometimes boil the wool in the dye on my
stove. Use enamel pans....not metal for this. and then set it with vinegar.
If you plan to dye then soak it the night before in dishwasher rinse It
helps the wool to absorb water. I have dyed with onion skins, blueberries
and tea. I have heard you can dye with koolade too. You just don't get the
intense colors as using the dye. But boiling it will also felt the wool.
HOpe this helps. Barb

Old July 11th 03, 11:57 PM
Jmgreenfld

I make penny rugs, ornaments, hooked rugs, etc. often from "reclaimed" wool
from thrift stores, Goodwill, etc. A good resource is men's suits, although
you have to watch for that iron-on type of interfacing because it is impossible
to get off! I learned that the hard way. LOL You can get a lot of fabric
from the back of a men's suit, and also the sleeves. You want to look for a
nice weight wool, not anything too fine. Also, if you are unassembling
clothing items to reclaim the fabric, you may want to do it outdoors - there
can be a fair amount of dust and lint during this process. I always wash in
hot water with a cold rinse, throw it all in the dryer and have great results
almost all of the time. Do be sure that it's 100% wool, as Betty noted, or you
will be disappointed with the final product.

HTH-
JoyceG in WA

Betty said in response to Mardi's note:

[...]

.. .

Grounding wool ?? Jude Needlework 4 January 4th 04 05:27 AM
Wool from muskox: was Need help for chemo treatment and caps to F.James Cripwell Needlework 36 November 22nd 03 11:27 PM
Is wool from Merino sheep always labeled "Merino wool"? Ilya Zarembsky Marketplace 3 October 4th 03 03:56 AM