A Non-apologetic Plug

Old April 4th 04, 02:34 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default A Non-apologetic Plug

I announced in January about our new needlework e-zine, "Embroider Now".
This has been the most satisfying adventure I could imagine.

The January issue is free, so if you didn't know about it and wanted to
check it out - and see what the April issue is all about - go he

http://www.embroider-now.com/upcoming.html

This is not your usual e-zine. Not a mailing list, but a *real*
magazine available on line. Peruse pages while on line, or download the
pdf for viewing at your leisure. Print it out as a "keeper".

It covers the gammut of needlework, and more interesting things to come.
Our July issue is well on its way to completion. "Embroider Now"
features articles from some extremely talented designers and
needleworkers. Some of which you've already met here, others you may
not have heard about. Some award-winning fiber artists.

No matter what it is you love to do with needle and thread, you will
find something interesting in its pages.

Enjoy the January issue.
Dianne

Old April 4th 04, 10:39 PM
Ruthie

I really enjoyed the April issue! (NAYY)

(If you haven't seen NAYY before, it means "No Affiliation, Yada Yada."

Very satisfied customer,

Ruthie in CO
alowan atty earthlink dotty net

Old April 5th 04, 09:18 AM
lula

What a bargain for $10.00!!

Congratulations Dianne, your needlework e-zine is quite well done, a
pioneer in the needlework world for an informative, easy to read
compilation of needlework facts and thoughts!

It's a good thing you posted again as I forgot to send a check with all
that I'm trying to catch and keep up with......I'm sending you $10.00
ASAP.....don't want to miss out!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old April 5th 04, 02:45 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Coming from you, WOW! *That* made my day. You'll love April's issue.
July is shaping up nicely.

So many talented designers, fiber artists around the world who just
aren't found. So many different needlework techniques and ways to
approach them. So many cultural differences to ponder.

By the way: This conversation about creativity has been making inroads
into my psyche. I've got a blank wall. Yesterday I had visions of
scrunching fabric, adding needlelace. What is missing in my thought
processes is a theme. I don't want just to put technique on it. Or,
maybe I should just *start* and let it go where it will. :-) Scarey.
It's not the cost that is bothering me - although the size I have in
mind would be pricey. The scarey part is just *doing*. My plate is
already full.

Dianne

Old April 5th 04, 07:59 PM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

By the way: This conversation about creativity has been making inroads
into my psyche. I've got a blank wall. Yesterday I had visions of
scrunching fabric, adding needlelace. What is missing in my thought
processes is a theme. I don't want just to put technique on it. Or,
maybe I should just *start* and let it go where it will. :-) Scarey.
It's not the cost that is bothering me - although the size I have in
mind would be pricey. The scarey part is just *doing*. My plate is
already full.

So do it a little at a time, for you, because you deserve it. Work an
hour at a time as rewards for getting other things off your plate. See
where it takes you!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old April 6th 04, 05:24 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Sorry Dianne I just read this 2nd hand ,,,
By the way: This conversation about creativity has been making inroads
into my psyche.

I think this a wonderful developement ! and before you wonder why i
will explain ,,,I know the feelings since i have some colleagues abnd
friends who work so much harder than me , whose works are more
lavishly filled with more symbols , more hours of work,,,, and i come
home look at my work and ask myself : How come i feel so many enormous
feelings and than i come and reduce my work , take out colors , take
out symbols , or on other times i look at works sizes , both the
smaller ones , and much bigger ones ,, but than i come home , and know
that i have to work with my Symbols , my color scheme , my way of
telling the story ,,,, So here you are thinking you are Blank , empty
..Now Think DIANNE ??? who are YOU ,,, you have visions of ....
scrunching fabric, adding needlelace. What is missing in my thought
processes is a theme.

And you have your Theme ,,, it is `Dianne thinks about Creativity` ,,,
or even Dianne looks at her OWN creativity , or "Dianne Celebrates
creativity "..... close your eyes and touch yoor cloth ,,,, feel it ,,
`let your body `speak` with it ,,, now take those laces ,,, you
mention and just Throw them over the cloth, now add what ever you have
,, threads buttons beads old buckles ,,, the work ,, you might throw
over it, or lay beside it some photos of former works by you or your
own photos ,,,,,, when i read this post i `saw you` embroidering your
own Portrait in the many embroidery methods you know ....You are
almost there Dianne ,,, take a cup of water , an easy chair or sit on
the floor and Be one with your materials , and your thoughts ,,, you
might use samplers or doodle cloth you have , cuts from your own made
clothes ,, anything that is part of YOU And YOUR SKILLS ,,,, and don`t
let go until it Is with you !!!
Best Luck mirjam

Old April 6th 04, 10:23 AM
lula

Dianne,

For someone who started a brand new on-line "zine" on the subject of
needlework......you definitely "got it" to create whatever you please!

Sometimes, the best way to create is to let whatever material or medium
you're using find its own level. The materials you choose to use will
often dictate what you do as well as how far you can go with your ideas!

With this in mind, pick a material (medium) you enjoy working
with.....use a technique that works with the material just to
start......

Another thought, have you figured at what level this mental block
happens? Is it in choosing colors? Deciding on an appropriate technique?
The right subject or topic you wish to "illustrate" with the above?
You need to be aware and in touch with your feelings on what you really
like to do......not something you feel you must do or what others will
think.

Once you put down on paper or fabric the first outlines of your project,
your mind begins to "see" all those abstract intangible feelings you've
thought about.

One thing I notice that kills creativity is worrying about starting a
project and not finishing it.........to be creative, one has to be
fearless in walking away from anything that bogs down and to be willing
to start all over again.....

Mirjam mentioned in an earlier post about letting life long discipline
take over when one is faced with deadlines and no ideas......she put
into words what I've done for many years.

Despite having a creative blank spot.....once deadlines hit, I actually
go into an "auto" mode......

My first few attempts at drawing a new design are usually blah but as I
push myself, even to scribbling, doing senseless linework, something
soon clicks into place and with the first good pencil or brushstroke,
everything begins to fall into place and from there, the ideas begin to
come and build on each other. One good idea done always inspires
another.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old April 12th 04, 02:54 PM
Marjorie Holme

This is a great issue, I printed it out and read at my leisure and
really enjoyed both the articles and projects---don't miss it! Marjorie