Help with linen

Old January 3rd 05, 05:35 PM
Phyllis Maurer

Default Help with linen

I'm looking for advice - I cut a thread (really dumb, but I won't go into it
here), and then decided I'd pull the cut thread out and reweave it with a
complete one from the selvage.

When I was finished with the re-weaving, I'm not able to get the thread to
blend into the existing fabric. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me
out on this? I'm assuming it won't improve a whole lot once the project is
laundered?

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis Maurer

Old January 3rd 05, 06:25 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Phyllis Maurer wrote:

I'm looking for advice - I cut a thread (really dumb, but I won't go into it
here), and then decided I'd pull the cut thread out and reweave it with a
complete one from the selvage.

When I was finished with the re-weaving, I'm not able to get the thread to
blend into the existing fabric. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me
out on this? I'm assuming it won't improve a whole lot once the project is
laundered?

Having done this a number of times, I'm at a loss, unless the thread you
used for the re-weaving was too small or large a diameter from the
surrounding ones. Did that once. Did you mean literally a selvage
thread? Those are usually pretty flattened out. I normally take a
thread aways away from the selvage edge.

Exactly what isn't working? How is it not blending? Too loose? Not in
the correct position? Boy, what a bummer for you!
Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old January 3rd 05, 11:12 PM

Excuse me for not knowing the proper terminology for weaving. But if you
cut a horizontal thread and pulled it out and rewove with a thread you
pulled vertically, it will definitely show. Did that make sense??

One time several years ago, I cut 6 threads wrong. I pulled them out and
rewove from 6 threads I pulled from the bottom. I could tell but I don't
think most people could tell.

Janet

Old January 4th 05, 02:49 AM
Olwynmary

I'd pull the cut thread out and reweave it with a complete one from the
selvage.

I'm not able to get the thread to blend into the existing fabric. Does anyone

have a suggestion to help me out on this?

Did you perhaps replace a weft thread with a warp one? That could be your
problem. Alternately, you may not have woven the new thread in tightly enough.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 4th 05, 05:19 AM
Phyllis Maurer

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, and hoping my experience is the
same as yours.

The thread right now has the appearance similiar to what happens when you
snag a nylon - that noticable line that shouldn't be there.

I used a thread from the cut edge of the fabric (sorry for my inaccurate use
of the term "selvage"), running in the same direction as the original
thread. The linen was a fairly even weave, and I didn't notice any real
size difference to the replacement thread.

I guess if it doesn't relax after washing, I'll have to figure out a new use
for the project. Isn't that the way creativity works - ideally?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Phyllis

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
From: "Phyllis Maurer"

.... When I was finished with the re-weaving, I'm not able to get the
thread

blend into the existing fabric. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me
out on this? I'm assuming it won't improve a whole lot once the project
is

laundered? ...

Actually, it might be just what is needed! There is probably sizing in
the
fabric that is causing the new thread not to blend with the existing
threads.
Washing will remove the sizing and help the newly woven in thread to
"settle
in" a bit better! Care to hazard a guess as to *how* I know this --
LOLOL???
THAT is the voice of experience you hear speaking :-)! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old January 5th 05, 08:08 AM
Ausxser

"Phyllis Maurer" wrote in message
I'm looking for advice - I cut a thread (really dumb, but I won't go into

it
here), and then decided I'd pull the cut thread out and reweave it with a
complete one from the selvage.

When I was finished with the re-weaving, I'm not able to get the thread to
blend into the existing fabric. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me
out on this? I'm assuming it won't improve a whole lot once the project

is
laundered?

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis Maurer

I have done this several times with both linen and even weave when doing
cut/drawn thread work.

It will look better after laundering, promise...but in the meantime, try
stretching the fabric on the diagonal slightly to see if that helps it 'sit'
better, sometimes I find that helps.

Blessings and good luck.....

Tannia