one of those questions - how do you store

Old January 30th 12, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default one of those questions - how do you store

your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort
Old January 30th 12, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Belinda Alene

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:45:18 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort

Zip lock type bags are available in a variety of sizes and ideal for small
components,

Old January 31st 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/30/12 3:45 PM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort

For bead packs that have opened, and I'm not too sure will actually stay
reclosed, I recycle little pharmacy pill containers. I also have a bunch of
bead containers that I bought at some LNS along the way. All of the beads
go into a plastic tub - little hinged thing. Though I'm thinking of putting
them into a little mini-drawer cabinet - like for screws & things.

I've used that type of thing, a multi-compartment bin for spools, etc but
got away from it. However, I'm thinking of going back to that.

So, I found a good size plastic hinged "pencil" box, and that is full of
metallics. As I'm working thru the organizing here, I'm seeing how things
are all fitted into my Anchor case, and if there's room, I'm going to use a
couple of slots for the metallics. One of the LNS here has their Kreinik in
Anchor cabinets, and it works well. So, might just go for that.

I have about 6 large IRIS project cases - that are deep (meant for storing
scrapbook stuff), and those are full of linen, specialty threads, etc.
These cases fit into the mid-large collapsible bins from Container Store, so
I can slide the plastic cases into the fabric bins and they look nice, and
are easily stacked in the organizational furniture of the day.

For sewing, I have the plastic case that holds thread on spools. IIRC Sulky
makes them. I don't have floss on bobbins, I just put it in floss away
things and ring the bags.

Ellice

Old January 31st 12, 12:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sara

wrote:

your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort

Mill Hills go in those LoRan bead containers in numerical order.
Kreinik type spools go in flossaway bags by number, then on rings by
color type, then all the rings go in a Rubbermaid box. Rainbow
Gallery type bobbins go in flossaway bags and get filed by type and
number in flossaway boxes, like all my other fibers. Pearl cotton
balls go in clear shoeboxes willy nilly.
It mostly works.

Sara
Old January 31st 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Jan 30, 3:45*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort

All of my beads are in their original containers. I've got a
Rubbermaid box full of Mill Hill beads whose packages have never
reopened on their own.

The bead store bought seed beads are in their tubes or flip top
containers - depends on where I purchased them.

And the beads on hanks, if cut and not all are used, go into plastic
bags. I bought several sizes of small bags at the Container Store just
for this purpose.

My spools of Kreinek are in stackable boxes by size of the fiber. But
I'm outgrowing that storage and will be searching for something
better.

Pearl cotton #8 and #12 are in large plastic bins.

My Rainbow Gallery fibers on cards (other than Splendor) are in their
own plastic bin. Again, I'm threatening to outgrow this. Will sort it
soon into metallic and non-metallic.

I once had a box for random fibers that didn't have many compatriots,
but I usually forgot about to look through it. So those fibers now are
with the fibers they most closely resemble.

Yes. I have too much. No. I have no intention of stopping the
collection process. LOL

Donna in Virginia who does not give permission to Sew.girls to repost
my USENET posts in their so-called forums
Old January 31st 12, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in Calif

Parts cabinets from the hardware store. The ones I buy, the drawers are
long enough to hold a skein of floss flat.

Since I have a mix of brands, I store mine by color. A friend who
stitches exclusively with DMC stores by number.

Kreinik spools are stored upright, roughly sorted by color (reds,
greens, not specific number) in a wooden 3-drawer stationery cabinet
from IKEA. Well, they *were*. When Needle Delights went out of
business, I bought out her whole stock of Kreiniks and those are in
scrapbooker's cases from Michaels because there are so many of them.

I have been using them (you know I love to add sparklies wherever and
whenever), so eventually I will get the quantity down to fit back in the
IKEA cabinet. I need to find something the right size for the Rainbow
Gallery cards that Kathy threw in with the Kreiniks.

COPYRIGHT 2012 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 1/21/12 -- Dragon Dreams 2001 freebie, "June - Moonstone"

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
(also on Facebook)
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Old January 31st 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2012-01-31, Karen C in Calif wrote:
[...]

I have the same system as Karen. I use the the tool boxes used for
storing small parts. Mine are very similar to
http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-1016..._bxgy_hi_img_c
I have skeins, beeds, etc stored in them. Easy to see what's in the
drawers and I have stickers on the drawers saying what floss number is
stored in them.
-Margaret in MA

--
Margaret St. John
Old January 31st 12, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort

Mill Hills go in those LoRan bead containers in numerical order.
Kreinik type spools go in flossaway bags by number, then on rings by
color type, then all the rings go in a Rubbermaid box. Rainbow
Gallery type bobbins go in flossaway bags and get filed by type and
number in flossaway boxes, like all my other fibers. Pearl cotton
balls go in clear shoeboxes willy nilly.
It mostly works.

Sara

the last line says it all

Cheryl
Old February 1st 12, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/31/12 10:23 AM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Parts cabinets from the hardware store. The ones I buy, the drawers are
long enough to hold a skein of floss flat.

Those are good for lots of things, I know several places using them for
their Kreinik and other stuff on spools as you can see the color from the
front.

Since I have a mix of brands, I store mine by color. A friend who
stitches exclusively with DMC stores by number.

I store all my overdyes by color. Cotton, silk, & eccentric. But, I do put
the Anchor & DMC in floss aways & ring them by number. Just cause for those
things I find it easier to look for them when needed. With the overdyes,
which I use so often, it's much better to be able to peruse & fondle the
color groups & then pick what I'm going to use.

Kreinik spools are stored upright, roughly sorted by color (reds,
greens, not specific number) in a wooden 3-drawer stationery cabinet
from IKEA. Well, they *were*. When Needle Delights went out of
business, I bought out her whole stock of Kreiniks and those are in
scrapbooker's cases from Michaels because there are so many of them.

I have been using them (you know I love to add sparklies wherever and
whenever), so eventually I will get the quantity down to fit back in the
IKEA cabinet. I need to find something the right size for the Rainbow
Gallery cards that Kathy threw in with the Kreiniks.

I recently saw some little plastic flip boxes in Target that looked about
right for the RG. Mine are ringed and then bagged/binned. I have way more
Frosty Rays, Flair, & Neon Rays than is even close to sane. And a bunch of
Very Velvet. I'm looking at some other little bins. Monday I actually saw
in Wegman's (the huge grocery store) some really intriguing plastic bins &
baskets. Evidently they're having a big special/sale on storage stuff for
the next couple of weeks, and carry a lot of stuff from Yaffa. They had
various sizes of plastic grid looking (the ones with open spaces so it looks
kind of like gingham) basket/bins - with handles. Including long
rectangular ones. And I believe that there was one intended for like spice
packets/bottles that would be perfect for RG cards. Handles - like on a
measuring cup. So, since DH & I have rethought the furniture movement from
the sewing space way down in the basement & what is in our offices way
upstairs, I've also been thinking about the storage stuff. Ugh.

So, I'm going to go back and check the sizes, likely get some of those
boxes. It's never ending. So much stuff, plenty of space here - just how
to get it in a decent order (before Cheryl comes to visit ;^) )....

Ellice

Old February 2nd 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan[_3_]

On Jan 30, 2:45*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
your Mill Hill Beads
anything that doesn't come in a skein/hank of fiber = the spools, the
bobbins etc.....

Cheryl - in the midst of the great floss sort

I use a parts cabinet like this:
http://tinyurl.com/72pdw4p

The bigger drawers are tall enough for the Kreinik spools to stand
upright so you can see the numbers. They are also big enough to hold
the RG cards and 20 or more packages of beads. I don't have nearly as
much as some other people (e.g. The Karen, Ellice, Donna), so it works
for me. The smaller drawers also *just* tall enough for the #5 perle
cotton balls. I also label the fronts of the drawers, e.g.
"Sparklies" (for the metallics), "Beads", "Wisper", etc.

HTH!

Joan

anybody know this store? Roberta[_3_] Quilting 1 March 24th 09 05:53 PM
New Store skatkat Needlework 0 June 26th 07 12:16 PM
Long time, no emai:l Mare's virtual craft store auctions & store marilyn safier Marketplace 0 January 27th 07 03:30 AM
Our new store Hindrikje General Crafting 0 December 28th 04 04:12 AM
Quilt Store Questions Debbi Quilting 3 April 4th 04 05:43 AM