Using trim in corners - how to make it look right with base and crown moulding?

Old February 26th 04, 07:16 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Using trim in corners - how to make it look right with base and crown moulding?

I'm getting ready to place an order for building components for the
small "practice" dollhouse I'm building. I want to use moulding along
the floor and ceiling, and vertically in the corners. But where the
corner molding joins the baseboard and crown moulding, I think it will
look funny.

How do you make it look right?

Cathy Weeks
Old February 26th 04, 11:12 PM
havana bill & holly

Kathy, I use a little aluminum miterbox and saw I got from HBS,
www.miniatures.com . I measure the pieces corner-to-corner & mark the
measurements lightly on the top edge and put the wall edge flat against the
miterbox edge, matching the mark to the center of the 45° cutting slot. For
an interior corner angle from the back toward the front. Then I dry-fit,
paint/stain, dry-fit and very lightly sand if needed, and then glue the
pieces in. I usually start woth the back wall & then glue the two sides.
In my first dh I did baseboards & chairrails :- o
"Cathy Weeks" wrote

Old February 26th 04, 11:32 PM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
I'm getting ready to place an order for building components for the
small "practice" dollhouse I'm building. I want to use moulding along
the floor and ceiling, and vertically in the corners. But where the
corner molding joins the baseboard and crown moulding, I think it will
look funny.

How do you make it look right?

Cathy Weeks

I can't quite picture what you're doing. Are you running the corner molding
from floor to ceiling or baseboard to ceiling molding? Are you using thick
molding that sticks out beyond the ceiling and floor molding? I don't think
that will look good. You can do away with corner molding. I use small
quarter round molding in the corners. The curved end faces out. It's
hardly noticable and it gives the room a nice finished look. I run it from
the baseboard to the bottom of the ceiling molding.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old February 27th 04, 04:11 AM
Cathy Weeks

I can't quite picture what you're doing. Are you running the corner molding
from floor to ceiling or baseboard to ceiling molding? Are you using thick
molding that sticks out beyond the ceiling and floor molding? I don't think
that will look good. You can do away with corner molding. I use small
quarter round molding in the corners. The curved end faces out. It's
hardly noticable and it gives the room a nice finished look. I run it from
the baseboard to the bottom of the ceiling molding.

Well, the plan is to get a little miter tool of some sort. On a
normal corner, we'd have baseboard moulding, and the two pieces would
have a 45 degree angle cut, so the two pieces of baseboard will fit
together nicely. The part I can't figure out is how to integrate the
vertical corner moulding (and I was planning to use quarter round - I
don't like the L-shaped corner moulding I've seen so far) Do I just
end the quarter round at the baseboard, or is there some sort of cut I
should make to integrate it INTO the baseboard?

Does that make more sense?

Cathy Weeks
Old February 27th 04, 04:13 AM
Cathy Weeks

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
Kathy, I use a little aluminum miterbox and saw I got from HBS,
www.miniatures.com . I measure the pieces corner-to-corner & mark the
measurements lightly on the top edge and put the wall edge flat against the
miterbox edge, matching the mark to the center of the 45° cutting slot. For
an interior corner angle from the back toward the front. Then I dry-fit,
paint/stain, dry-fit and very lightly sand if needed, and then glue the
pieces in. I usually start woth the back wall & then glue the two sides.

I'm really sorry...but I didn't follow this. :-(

Would you walk me through this again? (I'm really not being obtuse).

Thanks,

Cathy Weeks
Old February 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Carol

Well, the plan is to get a little miter tool of some sort. On a
normal corner, we'd have baseboard moulding, and the two pieces would
have a 45 degree angle cut, so the two pieces of baseboard will fit
together nicely. The part I can't figure out is how to integrate the
vertical corner moulding (and I was planning to use quarter round - I
don't like the L-shaped corner moulding I've seen so far) Do I just
end the quarter round at the baseboard, or is there some sort of cut I
should make to integrate it INTO the baseboard?

Does that make more sense?

Cathy Weeks

Yup.
First of all you don't need corner molding. I use it just as an interesting
touch or if I've messed up wallpapering and it doesn't quite meet at the
corners. Molding hides a multitude of sins.

What I do is miter the baseboard and ceiling molding and fit those together.
I then place the corner molding running from the top of the baseboard to the
bottom of the ceiling molding. In other words, I don't integrate it into the
other molding.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old February 27th 04, 03:39 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Carol" wrote in message hlink.net...

Yup.
First of all you don't need corner molding. I use it just as an interesting
touch or if I've messed up wallpapering and it doesn't quite meet at the
corners. Molding hides a multitude of sins.

What I do is miter the baseboard and ceiling molding and fit those together.
I then place the corner molding running from the top of the baseboard to the
bottom of the ceiling molding. In other words, I don't integrate it into the
other molding.

Gotcha. At first thought, this sounds like it wouldn't look good. But
I looked at the Lawbre page at their interior finishing page, and
they've done it exactly like you describe, and it looks very, very
nice.

Cathy Weeks

Gonna go make beads Carol in SLC Beads 7 September 1st 03 07:04 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM
more eyepins, can i make them into head pins?? Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 8 July 13th 03 06:39 PM
OT, sorta: No chance to make beads grrrr! Kalera Stratton Beads 12 July 9th 03 06:44 AM