"Handmade, US Lampwork"????

Old September 12th 04, 07:46 PM
Kandice Seeber

Cool - we roped in another one! LOL - Peggy, I hope you will stick around.
Have fun!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

WOW! When I sent my original message I had no idea what a thorough
response I'd receive! I run a full-time, hectic, non-jewelry-related
business, so making jewelry is just a hobby for me. I checked back this
morning thinking, "Well, let me just see whether anyone has replied to my
Friday post."

What can I say? I was totally overwhelmed. Thank you all for your very,
very informative replies. I am humbled and in awe of the amount of
knowledge that I've stumbled upon in this newsgroup. I will definitely
hang out here as I try to learn more.

I found the several example Web sites that you recommended very
helpful--though I still have not had time to time to visit very one. I
also especially appreciate the suggestion to ask about custom work. I
never would have thought of that. And the info about the various bead
groups helps, too--I've actually seen WC mentioned in some auctions. I
thought that it was a reference to the type of glass that the artist was
using. OOPS!

The comparisons of Indian lampwork, Chinese lampwork, were very
informative. I looked through my beads after I read them, and I think that
I've actually purchased some Indian lampwork beads. I can see that white
stuff that you talked about around the holes. However, these beads were
very inexpensive and were sold to me as "Indian glass beads" so I don't
feel that the seller in anyway misrepresented them. The are actually very
pretty, though after reading your posts I now understand that they are
probably more fragile than I'd realized.

I also found your candor about pricing very helpful. Let's face it--as an
uneducated buyer, other than buying fake hand-made lampwork, the thing
that gives me the most hesitation when it comes to making a purchase is
price. It's not so much an issue of getting a deal--though a deal is
always nice. It's that I don't want to find out that I've paid twice as
much as I should have based on the complexity and quality of the beads.

So many, many other things that you said have been helpful to me. I wish
that I could comment on all of them right now. But the truth is that I
want to get back to reading and re-reading your replies and visiting your
Web sites. So...I'll just say thanks to this entire group for the
generous amount of time that you all clearly spent replying to my post. I
can see that I have much more to learn than I realized! But I can also
see that I've come to the right place!!

In fact, I think I'll get back to reading right now. Thank you all!!!

"Peggy" wrote in message
I recently started to make my own hand-made jewelry, and am currently
doing my own wirework and metal clay. I have only purchased lampwork
beads twice: The first set I love. The second set were definitely flawed
(there were cracks where the artist removed the mandrel).

How can I learn to tell the difference between genuine hand-crafted
lampwork beads and cheap imported beads, especially when the seller says
that the beads are handmade? I like lampwork, but I really have no
interest in learning how to make my own lampwork beads. (I've already
got enough to learn about metal!)

I asked this question at a recent bead show, and someone suggested that I
look closely at the beads before purchasing them. This is a good idea if
you can see the beads before you buy, but it won't help me because I live
in the country, about an hour-and-a-half drive from the nearest city and
beadshop. The reality is that I have to purchase on-line. So I have to
look at pictures and Web sites to make a determination. What should I
look for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I just started reading this newsgroup today, so please excuse me if
this question has already been asked and answered in this group.

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
LOL! Look at this one! She's billing firepolished as Swarovski, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&item=4924764
774&tc=photo

Whoa, that's fraud.
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph
Chilton
Pearce

Old September 14th 04, 07:28 AM
KDK

I saw some really really good Chinese production lampwork at the wholesale
show in Tucson. Especially some of the florals. dang!

Kathy K
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
I've never seen the Japanese production lampwork, but the Japanese
artisan lampwork I've seen is flat-out AMAZING.

I honestly expect to start seeing good artisan lampwork out of China
eventually, too. Their production workers are too good... right now
they're dumping, but eventually prices will go up and a few of the more
skilled, creative craftspeople will start working for themselves
(political/social climate permitting) and selling true artisan beads. I
can't wait... rather than just copying Western lampwork, I expect to see
some truly regional/cultural styles evolve, as has happened in Japan.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kaytee wrote:
-snip-
Japanese and/or Czech production lampwork gets used like American

production
lampwork or "good" pressed glass. I still haven't used the few Venetian
lampwork beads I've bought.

Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com